Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-02-2015, 01:17 AM

4 posts, read 8,189 times

Advertisements

Hello..

i got a job offer contingent on the background check.
I am a recent grad with only one real job which I held for two years.
for this new job, HR asked for 7 years of employment history which obviously I didn't have.
so they forced me to put my research experience at a university as my second most employer.
it was an unpaid and volunteer research thing as a research assistant and I worked for a professor not necessarily for the school.
on the job application, I put the professor's name and his contact info (his office phone number)
i called the number to let him know they (a 3rd party screening company) might call him..only to find out that he is not even in the u.s. anymore and took a position at a university in a different country.
i know it's my fault that I made a wrong assumption he would still be there and that I didn't keep in touch with him..but does anyone think this would be a problem? Perhaps leading to the offer rescinded?
The only proof I have is that I have a paper published with my name on it as one of the authors for the research.
Other than that the screening company probably can't verify anything..
I now have the professor's contact info (school email address, phone and fax number) at the new university..a little too late!!!
Am I screwed?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2015, 01:23 AM

24,488 posts, read 41,150,886 times
Not too late. Just provide them with the latest contact information.

This is a good lesson to learn.

Old 05-02-2015, 11:54 AM

The background check was initiated more than a week ago by ADP screening and I still haven't heard back.
I wonder if they even tried to verify it since I just put N/A for salary and the reason for leaving.
I did mention about the publication..hope that's enough proof

Old 05-02-2015, 04:18 PM

1,384 posts, read 2,693,644 times
For an entry level position, I doubt they even tried verifying your employment history. It's a waste of money and time for you and them.

Old 05-02-2015, 06:34 PM

11 posts, read 9,992 times
Glad to hear you were able to get the professor's current contact info.

Sorry to read about your dilemma. I have a similar issue. I've done a bit of freelance writing and editing work in recent years, but I doubt it will show up on my employment verification. Maybe I need to put N/A for salary, since I made very little money and the work was sporadic.

I never know whether to list my freelance writing/editing work as a job, an internship, or what. The online apps don't give much room for leeway. I have the same worries about having done some work that might not be able to be verified by a potential employer.

Good luck! I hope you get the job.

Old 05-03-2015, 06:46 PM

31,848 posts, read 17,620,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boosane View Post
For an entry level position, I doubt they even tried verifying your employment history. It's a waste of money and time for you and them.
Not true.

Old 05-03-2015, 06:48 PM

3,092 posts, read 1,947,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPowering1 View Post
Not true.
Why does it matter?

Old 05-03-2015, 11:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marilyn14 View Post
Good luck! I hope you get the job.
Thanks

and I guess I will wait and see.. if they ask for explanation then i will update them with the new contact info
I have all the supporting documents for everything on my resume..
I'm just hoping they give me a chance to dispute any discrepancies (if any) that show up on the bg check.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search