Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2015, 01:18 PM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 59,016,245 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hacker1234 View Post
Just had what I think was a really good interview for the first round. Typical stuff about talking about the position and company and my skill set. Then it turned into a really good conversation on a more personal level.

I feel really good about it.

Believe me you always know when you clicked with a interviewer and one of the signs is when it feels like a conversation instead of a scripted interviewed. Keep us updated on how everything turns out for you during the hiring process.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2015, 06:39 PM

455 posts, read 578,681 times
Today I had my in person interview. And it was interesting.

So I felt I got along with the guys really well, and our interview went way over the scheduled time. But I got grilled hard on the technical part, and I spent most of the technical part not knowing the answers.

So I am a little worried about that. But it did appear most of the interview that they were looking for someone that would fit in and work well with the team. You can teach tech skills, but not attitude.

So we will see.

Old 06-04-2015, 03:28 PM

So after the interview I sent out thank you emails, and shockingly I got a reply back. Saying they liked me and stuff.

Later I got an email from the recruiter telling me they really liked me, but they are finishing up all the interviews.

So looks like im in the running and got a good shot.

Whats funny is that I have a friend that works in the office, and he told them im awesome lol.

Old 06-05-2015, 07:47 AM

35,077 posts, read 31,302,097 times
The job market remains worse in most places than raw numbers would indicate. Keep trying and the more interviews you go in, the better you are to get at them.

Old 06-05-2015, 09:06 AM
mcq

337 posts, read 672,930 times
No matter how good you are, it can be tough nowadays. It is especially tough if you are interviewing mostly on your own credentials and less on your connections, or who you know. A few weeks is nothing. Many of us have been at it much longer. Based on your post, it is only a matter of time for you. A friend for the recent one (internal referral perhaps?) certainly helps.

Old 06-05-2015, 10:52 AM

359 posts, read 476,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hacker1234 View Post

Whats funny is that I have a friend that works in the office, and he told them im awesome lol.
I have found this is key in getting a job or moving to a new job. Employers are much more likely to hire somebody that one of their employees can give a personal reference to.

Especially in IT I think it is "not what you know, but who you know" that is the important factor in job hunting.

Good luck!!!

Old 06-08-2015, 02:26 PM

I didn't get the position. They said they liked me and my skillset was strong but I was missing something they were looking for and they are going to continue to interview more people.

Old 07-29-2015, 06:53 PM

So I decided to stop the search for a bit. But got a call from a recruiter about a position and we talked about it for a bit. It was a good fit so I am giving it a shot.

I went to the first interview which was a phone screen, it went well and did a second round with the team. I came out of that interview feeling really good. I have been invited for a 3rd round to meet with the higher ups.

I think I finally made it this time.

Old 07-30-2015, 04:17 PM

928 posts, read 1,101,576 times
You need to step up your game. For folks who haven't had to look for a job on the past 5 years today's interview process is a rude awakening. Some never awaken and keep blaming the job market and economy instead of pointing the finger at the person in the mirror.

My guess is you feel over confident in your assessment of your skills so you tend to "wing it" in interviews. If the one interview grilled you on technical questions and you weren't able to answer well then you are not really preparing for these interviews.

Keep this in mind. You are not applying for jobs, you are competing for them. You are competing with 20 something year olds who are wizzes at what they do and who are smarter and faster than you.

So prepare for year interviews and come across as the absolutely best candidate not as merely a sufficient candidate if you catch my drift.

Old 07-31-2015, 07:40 AM

1,596 posts, read 2,059,032 times
Good luck OP in your latest interviews. I think taking a breather and having a recruiter contact you was the universe working in your favor now.

But I echo what everyone else has posted here, in 2015, interviewing and landing jobs pre-2007 is NOT the same. It's worse and much more challenging and competitive.

Heck, I'm even applying for a cool retail part-time job for extra fun money to save. Even with this cosmetic company retailer, their interviewing process is like applying for a corporate job. I had to apply online, I waited several weeks to get an email inviting me to the first round group interview, after I passed that event, I got invited to 'work' at the store for an hour to see how I interacted with staff, product knowledge/interest, and role play. They will make their decision next week. All this for a p/t retail job. There is a vetting process that a lot of companies are using now because they really want the best people who want to work there and can do the job. So based on this experience, I believe I will get the job, but I multiply this interview process by 100 for the corporate jobs I really, really want. Although I'm currently gainfully employed, I do not like my job and have been interviewing for a year now. It's tough, but I know I'll find something soon.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search