Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2015, 08:38 PM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 59,006,074 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by VM1138 View Post
Had an interview that went really well for my dream job. Everything went just like stories you read about. Friendly e-mails setting up the interview and asking questions. Phone interview with lots of laughing, details and a "connection." They give me a time table, I follow up shortly after the time table ends. They say they're still considering applicants. Two months turn into five, never heard from them again.
Yeah it sucks when that happens because no matter how good felt about the interview, nothing is confirmed until you get that Job offer letter.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2015, 09:10 PM

10,075 posts, read 7,538,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VM1138 View Post
Had an interview that went really well for my dream job. Everything went just like stories you read about. Friendly e-mails setting up the interview and asking questions. Phone interview with lots of laughing, details and a "connection." They give me a time table, I follow up shortly after the time table ends. They say they're still considering applicants. Two months turn into five, never heard from them again.
your post seems kind of naive? I'm just skeptical when people say they had a "friendly" email and interviews with a "connection"... most emails are just professional and laughs at interviews doesn't mean much when laughing can be done to be polite... and neither means that there wasn't someone better that came along. The only thing that seemed out of character for the company is that it was unprofessional of them to leave you in the dark like that.

that said, hopefully you got another job by now

Old 06-24-2015, 07:11 AM

1,149 posts, read 1,590,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eyeb View Post
your post seems kind of naive? I'm just skeptical when people say they had a "friendly" email and interviews with a "connection"... most emails are just professional and laughs at interviews doesn't mean much when laughing can be done to be polite... and neither means that there wasn't someone better that came along. The only thing that seemed out of character for the company is that it was unprofessional of them to leave you in the dark like that.

that said, hopefully you got another job by now
I get what you're saying, but I think I'm usually a pretty good judge of things like this. I have a pretty good track record with interviews (or, at least, I did until this past year). They seemed genuinely comfortable with me, and I answered all their questions well and they seemed genuinely enthusiastic. Usually if I'm not getting a job offer I can tell because the interview is awkward or for some other reason. They didn't give me any of the traditional blow-off lines, for instance. This one felt like I'd actually be a good fit skills and personality-wise. But maybe I was getting my hopes up.

I did end up getting a job, but it's $10 an hour and it's manual labor, so I'm not learning any new skills that can help me advance. Still looking for something more befitting a graduate school grad.

Old 06-24-2015, 07:30 AM

1,346 posts, read 3,075,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sfcitygirl84 View Post
i think what really bothers me is when after the 2nd or 3rd interview, some one (hiring manager or HR) tells me I am the best candidate out of all the others. They even go so far as to showing me the office and the computer the person will be sitting, introducing me to people around the office as "the new xoxxoxox" ...and after 1 week goes by...silence....2nd week goes by....silence...and then the dreaded email "Thank you for applying but we found a candidate blah blah blah ...we will keep your resume on file". This happened to me twice.

oh well, it is what it is.
OMG I thought I was the only one this happened to! So rude. I don't understand it. Why act like that in the first place??
I just had an interview last week for, literally, my dream job that I am absolutely perfect for. I didn't even know it actually existed in real life. The guy said in the middle of the interview "well I love you, I think you'd be great" and led me to believe it was just a matter of meeting with the sales director. Nothing for four days. So now I get an email saying the director wants all the candidates to prepare a presentation or something and it might be happening next week at some point. WTF??? All the candidates? Why do you need more candidates if I'd be perfect for the job? I just don't understand it at all.

Old 06-24-2015, 07:55 AM

1,346 posts, read 3,075,451 times
This whole thing feels eerily similar to dating. You meet someone, get along famously, there is chemistry, both of you are telling each other how great the other is...and then you're left watching the stupid phone for days upon days, wondering what the heck happened? And if it involves online dating, you check and see that he is still very active and obviously still dating ("we are still reviewing other candidates") It's that sinking feeling of 'I thought he was perfect for me, he made it seem like I was everything he was looking for too!' It's just so horrible to do that to someone; I don't get it.

Old 06-24-2015, 08:03 PM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 59,006,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by claud605 View Post
This whole thing feels eerily similar to dating. You meet someone, get along famously, there is chemistry, both of you are telling each other how great the other is...and then you're left watching the stupid phone for days upon days, wondering what the heck happened? And if it involves online dating, you check and see that he is still very active and obviously still dating ("we are still reviewing other candidates") It's that sinking feeling of 'I thought he was perfect for me, he made it seem like I was everything he was looking for too!' It's just so horrible to do that to someone; I don't get it.
Yup a had a date like that 4 weeks ago and I have not gotten over it because I really thought she was into me. I will say that have never had this experience on a job interview which was a good thing because I would have probably been sick.

Old 12-08-2015, 02:29 PM
O.o

1 posts, read 1,615 times
I've had a 5 minute interview too.I walked in and was asked 6 questions off a packet she had.She wrote down my answers and that was the end.

Old 12-10-2015, 10:23 AM

1,301 posts, read 3,578,834 times
What I can't stand are the "hurry up and silence" interviews. I've learned to only give people a week of my mental focus, at the max.

I applied for a job this past Friday (which had just been posted the Wednesday before), was called back two hours after I sent the resume, an impromptu phone conversation ensued. An in-person interview took place the following Monday. Was told a decision would be made probably by Wednesday.

It's Thursday. I'm not sitting by the phone. If they call, great. But I still have to look for work and hopefully apply somewhere else by the end of the week. I suspended my normal daily job search activities for a couple days after the interview (because I didn't want to find a great job to apply to and then feel torn about it), but time's up and I'm guessing if they jumped on my resume that quick, then they might just jump off it just as quick.

They don't stop interviewing just because they talked to me, and I don't stop looking for work just because I talked to them.

Old 12-10-2015, 05:18 PM

370 posts, read 504,663 times
I noticed, and this may seem weird, but rapport eye movement (they are looking all over their desk or around the room...a nice steady gaze is a good thing but chaos in the eyes is not.
Disinterested.
Bored.
They don't really speak about the job (because you're not getting it)
They gladly take interruptions (calls, receptionist, personal calls)
They cut it short and start walking you to the door.
They seem dismissive towards what you are saying.
Annoyance.
Yawning.
and "We have some more interviews and we'll make our decision soon after" ...I noticed if they want you...they will make an offer or give you some bread crumbs in knowing you have a good chance. They know you are job hunting and do not want you to chose another job.

Look we all had this..if you are young, guess what you are going to have lousy interviews, we all have. You will also TAKE jobs
and want to kick yourself bloody for taking such a crappy job...it's life and sadly the government keeps us working till we have one
marble in our head so enjoy it while you can

Old 12-11-2015, 07:56 AM

2,702 posts, read 2,764,850 times
The minute they mention they're interviewing internal candidates openly, yeah, it's a bad sign. They're just going through the motions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search