Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-21-2015, 06:59 PM

87 posts, read 144,637 times

Advertisements

would this be considered a entry level college educated level job?

The requirement states:

Bachelor’s degree from an accredited university or college in accounting or finance (or a high school diploma/GED or equivalent with at least 3 years of experience in an accounting or finance role)
• Minimum 2 years work experience in accounting, finance or controllership position

Position title has analyst in it
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2015, 07:23 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,551 posts, read 81,085,957 times
Yes, that sounds like entry level, which requires 2-3 years work experience in the field now. Very few jobs are available to the graduate with no experience, because there are plenty of people with it applying. Our similar, lowest level finance position requires 3 years experience, and starts about $65k. We get MBA and even CPA applicants.

Old 05-21-2015, 07:36 PM

10,075 posts, read 7,534,604 times
I'd say it is, the experience seems okay to me, I mean college is suppose to give someone opportunities to get experience along side the class work using internships.

but the titles with analysts mean very little, at least to me, they are tier 1 type jobs, or other bottom of totem pole jobs

Old 05-21-2015, 08:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
Yes, that sounds like entry level, which requires 2-3 years work experience in the field now. Very few jobs are available to the graduate with no experience, because there are plenty of people with it applying. Our similar, lowest level finance position requires 3 years experience, and starts about $65k. We get MBA and even CPA applicants.
wouldn't entry at a large company be closer to 45k not 65?

Old 05-22-2015, 06:27 AM

306 posts, read 517,362 times
At my company we use the word 'Associate' for the lowest level in corporate finance. This position usually requires a college degree and an internship at a reputable company, or a college degree with 1-3 years of experience. We have around 200 people in our finance department (including accounting, tax, finance) and we have never had anyone hired without a 4 year degree.

As for analysts, which is the next step in our corporate ladder, this position usually requires 1-4 years of experience with a 4 year degree, and usually a Masters and a CPA, or progression toward one.

It goes like this:

Intern (~3.5+ GPA in Accounting/Finance, usually a Junior or Senior) ~ Can be upwards of $20 an hour.
Associate (4 year degree and 0-1 years of experience or previous internship at our company) ~ Starts around $54,000
Analyst (4 year degree +, and 1-4 years of experience, or 2 years as an Associate)
Analyst II (4 year degree, Masters/CPA, and 3-6 years of experience, or 3 years as an Analyst)
Senior Analyst (4 year degree, Masters/CPA, and 6+ years of experience, or 3 years as an Analyst II)
Lead Analyst (Manager discretion, requires all the above pre-reqs)
Manager (Director discretion + above requirements)
Director (VP discretion + above requirements)

In today's competitive job landscape, unless you had a stellar academic career and know someone in the company, I wouldn't waste time applying to an analyst position without at least 1 year of experience or a Masters/CPA. These types of jobs get thousands upon thousands of applicants with those credentials.

I would apply to an Associate position, or one that requires 0-2 years of experience. However these listings are rare as they usually promote internally from interns.

Old 05-22-2015, 07:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spedizzo View Post
At my company we use the word 'Associate' for the lowest level in corporate finance. This position usually requires a college degree and an internship at a reputable company, or a college degree with 1-3 years of experience. We have around 200 people in our finance department (including accounting, tax, finance) and we have never had anyone hired without a 4 year degree.

As for analysts, which is the next step in our corporate ladder, this position usually requires 1-4 years of experience with a 4 year degree, and usually a Masters and a CPA, or progression toward one.

It goes like this:

Intern (~3.5+ GPA in Accounting/Finance, usually a Junior or Senior) ~ Can be upwards of $20 an hour.
Associate (4 year degree and 0-1 years of experience or previous internship at our company) ~ Starts around $54,000
Analyst (4 year degree +, and 1-4 years of experience, or 2 years as an Associate)
Analyst II (4 year degree, Masters/CPA, and 3-6 years of experience, or 3 years as an Analyst)
Senior Analyst (4 year degree, Masters/CPA, and 6+ years of experience, or 3 years as an Analyst II)
Lead Analyst (Manager discretion, requires all the above pre-reqs)
Manager (Director discretion + above requirements)
Director (VP discretion + above requirements)

In today's competitive job landscape, unless you had a stellar academic career and know someone in the company, I wouldn't waste time applying to an analyst position without at least 1 year of experience or a Masters/CPA. These types of jobs get thousands upon thousands of applicants with those credentials.

I would apply to an Associate position, or one that requires 0-2 years of experience. However these listings are rare as they usually promote internally from interns.
So at a fortune 20 company, a listing like the one I posed would be entry level you think? also The pay would be around 50k?

Old 05-22-2015, 08:35 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,551 posts, read 81,085,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by unfound View Post
wouldn't entry at a large company be closer to 45k not 65?
Typical entry level would be $40-45k in most places, but pay is affected by experience, and how soon the person can be productive. If we require 3+ years of experience we are going to pay more than that. We are not big, however, only about 2,000 employees.

Old 05-22-2015, 03:02 PM

306 posts, read 517,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by unfound View Post
So at a fortune 20 company, a listing like the one I posed would be entry level you think? also The pay would be around 50k?
Assuming there is no "Associate" position before the "Analyst" position then yes. Otherwise it could be higher. To me, that position is a little higher up than entry level.

Just go to Google and type "the name of the company glassdoor salaries" in the search box. I would be surprised if Glassdoor didn't have the salary on their website. It is a place where people post reviews and salaries for their companies. If it is a fortune 20 company then surely it will be on there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search