Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-22-2015, 09:36 PM

162 posts, read 247,715 times

Advertisements

Hey all,

So, I have been applying like crazy to jobs, and the one that I did have an interview for I received an e-mail inviting me to an interview. Is this the new norm? I always thought they called and spoke to you in regards to an e-mail. I personally don't mind the e-mail, as sometimes it's easier to check (if you can't take a phone call at the time). Anyway, I was just curious.

Also, what kind of jobs are you all applying for? I'm hoping maybe I can get some ideas of other areas that I'm not thinking of to look into.

Thanks again!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2015, 09:38 PM

Also, if a job I found specifically asks in one of the supplemental questions if "you can speak spanish fluently" is that a deal breaker if you can't? It's not under the required qualifications of the job, but rather the "desired qualifications". Ugh!

Old 05-23-2015, 12:41 AM

291 posts, read 505,968 times
Did they tell you to call to schedule an interview at least?

The only time I was invited to an interview via email was for an internship. Usually legit jobs call you to set up an interview.

Old 05-23-2015, 06:14 AM

134 posts, read 103,165 times
Very common. I'm would say 80% of of my initial contacts were from emails. Seems much easier than phone tag to set up I initial phone screen and HR people are reaching out to lots of folks

For the "Spanish" requirement, maybe not mandatory but probably someone who is fluent would have extra edge if all other skills equal. Just never know....

Old 05-23-2015, 07:46 AM

16,062 posts, read 26,746,361 times
Very common. Not speaking Spanish may be a deal breaker, you won't know until they tell you.

Old 05-23-2015, 08:48 PM

Thanks, all! I don't think I have a very good chance with this company. I applied, but the supplemental questions asked if you were fluent in Spanish - I'm not. And then one asking if I attended that school - NO, and then one asking if I had a 2 year degree in a field that my 4 year degree is nowhere near. I think I'm screwed, LOL

I guess I'll just assume that this job isn't going to happen and keep applying!

Old 05-24-2015, 01:10 PM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 59,016,245 times
Most of my interviews involved me being contacted by phone during the scheduling process. I think the only one that was not by phone was a interview that was set up through linkedin with the hiring manager. Seems like email notifications would not be the best way to contact someone since it would be no way of knowing for sure if the person received the interview invite.

Old 05-24-2015, 08:51 PM

3,461 posts, read 4,704,515 times
Invitations to interview via email are not unusual at all. When seeking employment, I have been contacted many times via email and I would actually prefer it. It gives me time to review the job posting again and to also figure out what days/times work for me instead of being caught off guard over the phone. And I also don't like to play phone tag if I am not available to take a call. People are busy and also trying to be as efficient as possible and they can answer and send emails at their convenience without a lot of interruptions and focus on the task at hand. They, or myself, may also not even get to their emails until after business hours to answer them.

On the employer end, when I was scheduling interviews myself I also, on occasion, contacted candidates via email to invite to an interview. My reasoning was that many of the candidates were employed and would more than likely not be available to take the call when I contacted them so I knew email would work better because they could answer at their convenience. Plus, I was very busy or in meetings so there were times I would only deal with job applicant info either in the morning or the afternoon only and could not afford the interruptions throughout the whole day.

If the interviewer does not have any pre-screening to do and just wants to invite to interview I sure don't see why anyone would have a problem communicating via email.

And FBJ, it is equally possible that someone can miss a phone call/voice mail just as well as they could miss an email. I would hope that if you are applying for jobs that you would make sure that both options are working efficiently.

Old 05-24-2015, 09:17 PM

24,202 posts, read 19,210,098 times
I think emails are more common because it's easier to connect with the person that way, rather than playing telephone tag. Even with cell phones, many times there are other people around so you can't answer and speak freely, and then by the time you call back, the other person is on another call or away from their desk or whatever. So it's a much more efficient way to convey information back and forth.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search