Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-26-2015, 09:55 AM

5,896 posts, read 3,895,279 times

Advertisements

If you get invited for an interview and you find out at the interview that the position (or company) just isn't totally for you, do you consider it wasting an interviewer's time?

Some job postings don't reveal a lot of details so you pretty much have to apply to find out. I'm not referring to applicants who don't meet any of the qualifications and apply anyway. I'm talking about people who are seriously interested in the job and then find out that it just wouldn't work out for them, whether it be hours or the pay or for whatever other reason. High turnover, red flags, etc.

I'm just curious to see the job applicant's perspective regarding learning that the job or position just isn't for you, or what you expected it to be, is considered wasting their time. I would thank the interviewer for their time, but would feel that it wasted both of our time if they left out details in the job posting that should have been on there. For example, not listing a salary range or even listing whether it was full time or part time. Otherwise, I would have kept looking.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2015, 10:17 AM

24,204 posts, read 19,191,156 times
A job interview is a two way street, and sometimes, it's the applicant who realizes it's not the right fit. I don't really see it as a waste of time on either side, as long as there was a genuine interest on both sides to start off with.

Old 05-26-2015, 11:31 AM

5,094 posts, read 5,171,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emm74 View Post
A job interview is a two way street, and sometimes, it's the applicant who realizes it's not the right fit. I don't really see it as a waste of time on either side, as long as there was a genuine interest on both sides to start off with.
I agree. If the candidate is good enough, what the employer may have considered a temporary or PT position could blossom into a full time opportunity OR you might be passed on to a different hiring manager for a different opportunity that had not been posted.

The best candidates can create their own job if they can prove that they will provide value to the employer.

Old 05-26-2015, 11:33 AM

6,457 posts, read 7,789,115 times
No, it's not wasting the interviewer's time.

Old 05-26-2015, 12:03 PM

16,062 posts, read 26,734,689 times
You wouldn't know the job isn't for you unless you are interviewing in your scenario. So absolutely not, you should be interviewing the company just as much as they are interviewing you.

Old 05-26-2015, 12:06 PM

1,136 posts, read 922,588 times
I wouldn't consider it a waste of time. At best you may have made a meaningful connection that may benefit you in the future. At worst you identified a company, manager, employer, or owner who you should avoid in the future.

Old 05-26-2015, 12:10 PM

761 posts, read 832,314 times
Just don't call Mister Dumas, Mister Dumbass by mistake.

Old 05-26-2015, 12:15 PM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 58,992,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandsthetime View Post
If you get invited for an interview and you find out at the interview that the position (or company) just isn't totally for you, do you consider it wasting an interviewer's time?

Some job postings don't reveal a lot of details so you pretty much have to apply to find out. I'm not referring to applicants who don't meet any of the qualifications and apply anyway. I'm talking about people who are seriously interested in the job and then find out that it just wouldn't work out for them, whether it be hours or the pay or for whatever other reason. High turnover, red flags, etc.

I'm just curious to see the job applicant's perspective regarding learning that the job or position just isn't for you, or what you expected it to be, is considered wasting their time. I would thank the interviewer for their time, but would feel that it wasted both of our time if they left out details in the job posting that should have been on there. For example, not listing a salary range or even listing whether it was full time or part time. Otherwise, I would have kept looking.
I usually go through the process even if I knew I wasn't interested in the position. After hearing the hours were 3pm to 11pm I was turned off since the job ad clearly stated the hours were 9am to 5pm. So no you are not wasting the interviewer's time since you have to also be impressed during the interview.

Old 05-26-2015, 02:42 PM

1,104 posts, read 918,974 times
I've had a few experiences like this, especially with recruitment agencies. They would fill your inbox with marketing, you would come in to register and be interviewed for work, and they just said they would get back to you.

One agency recruiter was so clearly uninterested in me that it glowed, but he still offered me an interview with a large bank as a clerk. I think he was just trying to get his numbers up for his own job.

Part of these experiences helped me to understand how important it was to be in some kind of work: or at least have strong work experience. It's tough to be taken seriously if you are a student or unemployed.

But you're not wasting an interviewer's time or your own by turning up. If you're a no-show, then you really ARE wasting their time, for obvious reasons. In my current job, my interviewer had slots booked full for interviews, and it was no-show, no-show, myself who turned up, and the person afterwards was a no-show. That only helped me because I got hired.

Old 05-26-2015, 04:04 PM

2,407 posts, read 3,186,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spaten_Drinker View Post
I agree. If the candidate is good enough, what the employer may have considered a temporary or PT position could blossom into a full time opportunity OR you might be passed on to a different hiring manager for a different opportunity that had not been posted.

The best candidates can create their own job if they can prove that they will provide value to the employer.
This is very true. I had my own company for many years. The first "call" was to ascertain if I could provide the services they needed. If it wasn't a fit, I'd let them know, and why, recommend someone if I knew someone, and kept the contact. There were a number of times over the course of my career/business that I would be called back when something we did do came up. You need to make contacts. Maybe this isn't the one, but in a couple of years, you never know.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search