Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-26-2015, 11:34 AM

5,900 posts, read 3,900,192 times

Advertisements

For all job seekers out there, how many times have the hiring managers have given you the runaround regarding the status of your application following an interview? What did they say to you and what was the situation?

How do you feel about the company when you have a fantastic interview with them and the hiring manager promises you the world? When he or she says they'll follow up with you at a certain date, regardless of whether you're the candidate or not, only to never hear anything from them? Or if you call trying to follow-up and the person is always on vacation or always in an important meeting. Or, when they never respond to your email.

I don't believe in giving applicants the runaround. I always held the interviewer accountable and took them for their word. If you tell me you'll contact me in 2 weeks and let me know regardless, yes, I will believe you and expect to hear from you. If you have no intention of doing that, then don't lie to me and say you will do it. Fair enough!

Anyway, what has been your experiences?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2015, 11:55 AM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 59,016,245 times
Usually when a interviewer mentions two weeks after a interview it's normally not a good sign so it's best to focus on other opportunities so you won't drive yourself crazy. And then if you happen to receive a call from that employer regarding good news that's fine but I would not spend a lot of time thinking about it if I hear two weeks.

Old 05-27-2015, 08:02 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,581 posts, read 81,186,228 times
I have never worked at a place where the hiring manager had any contact with an applicant after the interview, until there was an accepted offer. HR handles all of that, I simply wait for them to make and accept the offer, do the background check, and give me the start date. Then I contact them. If they call me, I refer them to HR without comment, that's been standard policy everywhere I have worked as a manager or supervisor. Normally, if something is "promised" at the interview such as "we hope to make a decision by next Friday" we stick to it.

Old 05-28-2015, 06:16 AM

306 posts, read 517,807 times
I have never had a response from a hiring manager (or people conducting the interview and who are responsible for making a decision) at a large company ever contact me after an interview either - whether I got the job or not.

Usually the recruiters will stay in touch with you and respond to you or answer your questions, but they are not the ones making the decision.

Smaller companies without a legitimate human resources department might have different procedures where the interviewer might stay in contact with you.

Old 05-28-2015, 10:32 AM

35,075 posts, read 31,302,097 times
For legitimate jobs where I actually dealt with the manager, very rarely. It's usually HR/recruiter/staffing firms that are the difficult ones to deal with.

Old 05-29-2015, 08:15 PM

3,515 posts, read 7,783,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandsthetime View Post
For all job seekers out there, how many times have the hiring managers have given you the runaround regarding the status of your application following an interview? What did they say to you and what was the situation?
Quite a few times actually. In my opinion, if you interview for a position, they owe you a rejection letter. Often I didn't even get the courtesy of that. One douche name Larry from a company called Actionet tells me everyone that has been hired has been contacted already, what a way to man up Larry and tell me I didn't get the job, not even a rejection letter. Just tell me, Sorry you didn't get the job, Another guy replies to an email I sent him did I get the job with one word, "No", way a way to let someone down easy. No sugar coated "Sorry we decided to select someone else B.S.".

Frankly half the hiring "managers" can't look someone in the eye and tell them you didn't get the job, they are the same spineless people that can't tell someone they are fired / laid-off / your position has been eliminated. They have no business being managers in my opinion.

Last edited by TechGromit; 05-29-2015 at 08:23 PM..

Old 05-30-2015, 12:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TechGromit View Post
One douche name Larry from a company called Actionet tells me everyone that has been hired has been contacted already, what a way to man up Larry and tell me I didn't get the job, not even a rejection letter. Just tell me, Sorry you didn't get the job, Another guy replies to an email I sent him did I get the job with one word, "No", way a way to let someone down easy. No sugar coated "Sorry we decided to select someone else B.S."..
YES!! This x1000

Some interviewers need to be more accountable in what they tell applicants. I feel like they say stuff in an attempt to not hurt your feelings, and then you feel even more ticked at them when you later realize that it was all BS. I do give credit to those who do what they say; some have actually followed up with me and let me know that I was not accepted for a position. When time passes you sort of get that hint, but its nice knowing that some do keep their word and do follow up with you like they said. I give kudos to them.

Old 05-30-2015, 01:04 AM

2,643 posts, read 2,443,509 times
Heres a protip: Demand an answer right away after an interview. Just ask in a nice, forceful manner weather or not you got the job. Dont waste your time with these HR pricks...they usually give you the run around

Old 05-31-2015, 12:04 AM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 59,016,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkm370 View Post
Heres a protip: Demand an answer right away after an interview. Just ask in a nice, forceful manner weather or not you got the job. Dont waste your time with these HR pricks...they usually give you the run around

I think requesting a quicker answer after a job interview should only be when you have a job offer from another company.

Old 05-31-2015, 03:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FBJ View Post
I think requesting a quicker answer after a job interview should only be when you have a job offer from another company.
Yes. Most HR managers don't like to think quick on their feet. They want time to think things through and analyze the candidates.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search