Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2015, 08:17 PM

93 posts, read 187,939 times

Advertisements

So I had an interview last Thursday. I feel that it went very well. I was very polite, dressed very sharp, and I feel that I answered all of her interview questions nicely. I brought her a copy of my resume, as well as a list of references for her to contact. At the end of the interview, I asked for her business card, and asked what the next steps were. She said they were still interviewing candidates, and that they would be making a decision very soon. I also sent her a thank you email the next day. So it has been a few days since the interview and still haven't heard back. I am growing a bit discouraged at this point. I don't know what else to do. I really do need this job. I really thought I made a good impression.. But.. I'm not so sure anymore.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2015, 08:26 PM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 38,026,310 times
Not receiving a rejection could mean they offered the position to someone else and the other candidate either hasn't accepted or is going through final reference/background checks. In that case, you're still under consideration until the other person is officially hired.

Old 05-31-2015, 08:36 PM

1,717 posts, read 2,725,822 times
It sounds as if you were definitely in the running for the position. At this point I wouldn't give up all hope, but if it has been more than a couple of days than in all honesty it doesn't sound promising at this point if they said that a decision would be made in just a few days. Perhaps funding for the position fell through or some other internal variable. Good luck!

Old 05-31-2015, 08:36 PM

227 posts, read 194,752 times
Last Thursday, as in the 28th? Or the 21st?

Either way, hang tight. You did your best, ans that's all anyone could ask of you. Keep looking in the meantime.

Old 05-31-2015, 08:46 PM

93 posts, read 187,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by santafe400 View Post
It sounds as if you were definitely in the running for the position. At this point I wouldn't give up all hope, but if it has been more than a couple of days than in all honesty it doesn't sound promising at this point if they said that a decision would be made in just a few days. Perhaps funding for the position fell through or some other internal variable. Good luck!
Thanks for the kind words. I will try to keep the hope alive!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bo View Post
Not receiving a rejection could mean they offered the position to someone else and the other candidate either hasn't accepted or is going through final reference/background checks. In that case, you're still under consideration until the other person is officially hired.

That makes sense. I will wait until it's been at least a full week before I call them to follow up and see what the current status is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by weeblywobbly View Post
Last Thursday, as in the 28th? Or the 21st?

Either way, hang tight. You did your best, ans that's all anyone could ask of you. Keep looking in the meantime.
Thanks for the kind words. I feel really proud of myself for getting as far as I did.

Old 05-31-2015, 08:54 PM

24,204 posts, read 19,109,319 times
Wait, are you talking about the 28th? So just 2 business days ago? You do realize that most people don't work weekends - and even if this is retail or some other industry that is open on weekends, people in depts like HR still usually work Mon-Fri.

Old 05-31-2015, 09:13 PM

12,074 posts, read 23,175,384 times
"Very soon" in hiring talk means within the next week or two -- it does not mean within the next couple of hours.

Old 05-31-2015, 09:19 PM

306 posts, read 430,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xhayatox View Post
So I had an interview last Thursday. I feel that it went very well. I was very polite, dressed very sharp, and I feel that I answered all of her interview questions nicely. I brought her a copy of my resume, as well as a list of references for her to contact. At the end of the interview, I asked for her business card, and asked what the next steps were. She said they were still interviewing candidates, and that they would be making a decision very soon. I also sent her a thank you email the next day. So it has been a few days since the interview and still haven't heard back. I am growing a bit discouraged at this point. I don't know what else to do. I really do need this job. I really thought I made a good impression.. But.. I'm not so sure anymore.
It's only been 3 days. Most places don't interview on weekends. More importantly, why are you waiting for them? While they could have already decided not to hire you, you're waiting a certain amount of time to see if they didn't. Keep applying for jobs.

Old 05-31-2015, 09:20 PM

5,108 posts, read 6,046,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emm74 View Post
Wait, are you talking about the 28th? So just 2 business days ago? You do realize that most people don't work weekends - and even if this is retail or some other industry that is open on weekends, people in depts like HR still usually work Mon-Fri.
And after Memorial day expect Friday to be a short day :-). Seriously She said they were still interviewing. I would not expect anything til at least the middle of this week. You seemed to have done everything you can. Take a breath continue to look at other opportunities and allow the system to work.

Old 05-31-2015, 09:50 PM

16,061 posts, read 26,686,643 times
try not to overthink it. Easier said than done I know!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search