Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2015, 09:45 AM

3,461 posts, read 4,704,515 times

Advertisements

Follow up is definitely okay in the right circumstances plus making sure to do it right. Instead of trying to type up every scenario, circumstance and process of doing so, happy reading!

https://www.google.com/?gws_rd=ssl#q...p+after+resume

https://www.google.com/?gws_rd=ssl#q...r+applications
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2015, 11:15 AM

2,401 posts, read 3,642,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laid Off View Post
So the general feeling to date is that I should not bother to follow up and just apply for hundreds of jobs even if I just barely match their qualifications. It's a numbers game. If they don't call back I should be a passive job hunter and just keep applying at other places until eventually the phone rings. Play their game.

I think this approach is easier if I were in a general career field where there are potentially 100s of jobs advertised that fit my interest and skills. But that is not the case. After hours of looking online and networking there is only a handful of jobs that fit my career interests and skills. Should I still be passive and not call and ask for an interview?
You know what, youve got a really poor attitude. I wouldnt hire you to sweep my porch.

What the case IS is that a job atm is better than no job. You take something until you get an offer from one of the positions you actually want. Its a patience and dedication game, thats it. But you need to be polite, and polite sells.

No success happens without failure. Doors will be closed in your face. You have to take it with grace and always know theres something else for you just waiting for your application. So yes, apply to everything youre qualified for in your field, from one to the next, expecting nothing. If you get called, great. Within two weeks you should have applied for at least 12 openings, and always always add a cover letter. Dont play the waiting game.

Old 06-04-2015, 05:01 PM

6,706 posts, read 5,935,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laid Off View Post
So the general feeling to date is that I should not bother to follow up and just apply for hundreds of jobs even if I just barely match their qualifications. It's a numbers game. If they don't call back I should be a passive job hunter and just keep applying at other places until eventually the phone rings. Play their game.

I think this approach is easier if I were in a general career field where there are potentially 100s of jobs advertised that fit my interest and skills. But that is not the case. After hours of looking online and networking there is only a handful of jobs that fit my career interests and skills. Should I still be passive and not call and ask for an interview?
I would say, continue to target your best potential employers, tailor your resume/application to the specific employer (as much as time allows), and do follow through, if only to verify that they have received your application.

I usually follow up just to verify that they've received my app or resume, and that's perfectly reasonable. Sometimes stuff gets lost in transit. It demonstrates that you care whether they received your app, which demonstrates responsibility.

Unfortunately, yes, it's also a numbers game. You may have to make 1000 applications, and be ignored or rejected by 999 of them, before you hit that magic one. But one is all you need, so keep plugging away. It's not fun or easy or in any way guaranteed.

And pay no attention to these chatboard sourpusses who say "I would never hire you" and similar nonsense. Prove them wrong. Have the last laugh. And best of luck.

-BP

Old 06-04-2015, 06:17 PM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 59,016,245 times
I never felt the need to follow up after applying to a job because if they were interested I would get a call for a interview. Following up after a job interview makes a lot more sense to me instead of calling to find out if your resume was received.

Old 06-07-2015, 03:07 PM

2,702 posts, read 2,765,657 times
I don't necessarily think your approach was bad, but there was a more subtle way to go about it. I would have expressed my interest in the position and have a more polite approach than you did.

Old 06-07-2015, 07:18 PM

3,739 posts, read 4,635,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yiuppy View Post
Worthless to whom? Somebody sitting on their bum all day waiting for a job to knock on their door?

When youre hungry, no job is worthless, but fyi Im applying for legal work mostly that pays damn good enough to survive and is the career track im on. No, you cant "breeze" through government applications that take two days to prepare each. Its not exactly a breeze applying through private companies and firms either for highly competitive positions.

I dont know what point you were trying to make. Anyone whos in the rat race having to compete needs to cast a wide net, apply for every job theyre qualified for, and expect not to hear back. Sitting around wasting time that could be spent networking, applying elsewhere, instead of waiting indefinitely from one application, puts you at a disadvantage. People have to apply to a hundred openings these days to get a decent job. You cant do that spending weeks at a time waiting to hear back from ONE application and playing the bs follow up game.

I live in DC. Lots of jobs here. Lots of competition. Nobody cares about you calling to follow up. So they saw your application and didnt want you. Okay, next. Thats the attitude employers have, so its the attitude Im adapting, too, because employers are competing for us, too. One doesnt want you then another will.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search