Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-08-2015, 06:03 AM

195 posts, read 231,321 times

Advertisements

I communicated last week with a professional free lance recruiter I met at a job hunting support group, who told me some interesting things. (She was the speaker)

She told me, off the record, unless someone is in a career field with a huge shortage of qualified workers, or is looking for a senior executive position, or knows the right person, it is nearly impossible to find a well paying professional position, using traditional job search methods, after age 50.

She said, "look at the help wanted ads in the newspaper or online. 95% of the ask for 3-5 years of experience, or at most 5-7 years of experience." MOST jobs can be done quite well by someone with a degree and 5-7 years of experience. Why would an employer want someone with 25 years of experience who is tired and bored with the corporate world, thinking about retirement and has had a history of merit increases? There are plenty of candidates in their 30s who are mature, experienced and educated who will work with enthusiasm, are still full of energy and don't come with high salary expectations.

YES! There are some people who can beat the odds and get a corporate but non senior management job after age fifty after applying via Monster.com, but this is extremely rare and usually due to be in the right place at the right time.

Yes, this seems so logical but is so depressing at the same time.

Last edited by Laid Off; 06-08-2015 at 06:16 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2015, 06:09 AM

2,682 posts, read 4,479,280 times
It is depressing. I'm 33 and this scares me. I feel that by the time I'm 40, this will be true not only for those over 50, but those over 40 as well. I think the only way around this is to get those skills/certifications/designations etc. and/or make yourself indispensable to a company. You have to keep moving up, or transition to career fields that can integrate your "old" experience with new skills that are in demand. I don't think one can sit back and relax in their cushy mid-level corporate job and think that they will be there until 65. It's even scarier that they keep wanting to push the retirement age back. I just don't see this as an issue because I think anyone will be hard pressed to find someone working at 67 (unless they are skilled or executive level) in 10-20 years!

Old 06-08-2015, 07:58 AM

6,032 posts, read 9,207,489 times
Aren't you "Retired Now" op?

How did the group interview go?

Old 06-08-2015, 08:45 AM

15,971 posts, read 9,380,725 times
It seems the OP is simply repeating himself. And repeating, And repeating.

Why is it that there's always some sort of issue regarding you and your relationships with other people?

Your kids' friends at graduation
Employers
Relatives
Interviewers
Attractive women
Coworkers
Neighbors
etc.
etc.
etc.

Old 06-08-2015, 08:57 AM

195 posts, read 231,321 times
I don't know what you are talking about but if you don't like my posts move to the million other ones!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoNative34 View Post
It seems the OP is simply repeating himself. And repeating, And repeating.

Why is it that there's always some sort of issue regarding you and your relationships with other people?

Your kids' friends at graduation
Employers
Relatives
Interviewers
Attractive women
Coworkers
Neighbors
etc.
etc.
etc.

Old 06-08-2015, 09:38 AM

2,294 posts, read 2,778,784 times
Honestly, are you ok reporting to someone who makes 1.5x-2x your salary, but only has 1/3 the experience you do? Let alone the fact that they're a little over half your age.

Most positions open up because people get promoted. Manager becomes a Director, so one of the Associates becomes a Manager. They need to hire a new person to replace that low level position. Most people with 25 years experience expect to be paid based on their experience.

Except typically, the job doesn't require that level of experience. So the person with too much experience doesn't get hired.

Old 06-08-2015, 09:55 AM

35,056 posts, read 31,258,424 times
I think there is some truth to this, but there is also the situation where employers only want people with years and years of experience. There are good arguments for both views.

Old 06-08-2015, 02:14 PM

633 posts, read 640,011 times
It's very true. age discrimination is very much a thing. Sorry if you're in this position, OP- it's not fun.

Old 06-08-2015, 02:40 PM

2,407 posts, read 3,186,786 times
If there is anyway you can market your skills as an independent consultant then do it. I've been independent with my own company since I was 36. I'm over 60 now and I've had not trouble getting "gigs" in the industry I specialize in. When it comes to hiring a consultant, most companies are fine with the over 50 set. If you can't go it alone, are there any other people you know you could partner with? A former boss of mine set up a company that specializes in older workers with lots of experience. (1099 Partners - Our Network, Their Experience, Your Success).

For those under 50 (and 40), think in terms of building your skillset so you can market yourself independently. Build your network now. Connect with others on LinkedIn now so that later when you start building your business, you'll have a network. Once you do good work at one place, you'll find people change jobs and will bring you with them. The real plus side of this is people that I knew and helped when they were not even first level line managers are now directors and can make hiring decisions.

Old 06-08-2015, 03:39 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,880,244 times
I think that is the case regardless of age though it might be harder with more and more years though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search