Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-10-2015, 03:54 PM

14 posts, read 13,048 times

Advertisements

I wanted to seek everyone's advice on how to best proceed in my current situation as I have another job offer that I need to make a decision on soon.

I had a phone interview for a position on 4/30 and the hiring manager told me before and during the call that he would be going on vacation for 2 weeks.
He returned to the office on 5/18 and I followed up that Friday on 5/22 after not hearing anything.
He replied saying that "they are still in the process of interviewing candidates and that he should have more information in the following weeks."
[It has been 2.5 weeks since that email from him.

I haven't heard anything since and haven't followed up. I really think that the phone interview went very well and was almost sure that I'd be getting called for an in-person interview. Do I bother following up again? If so, what is the best way to phrase what to say in the email so that I don't appear desperate or lose this opportunity?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2015, 04:19 PM

3,850 posts, read 4,154,110 times
My advice is to accept the offer you have.

Old 06-10-2015, 08:55 PM

291 posts, read 506,089 times
I agree, accept the offer you have but just keep your options open if a better offer comes along. It's not like you have to commit your life to any job.

Old 06-12-2015, 11:26 AM

856 posts, read 1,052,510 times
Exclamation Seeking Advice on How to Follow Up

Quote:
Originally Posted by joblessclaim View Post

I have another job offer that I need to make a decision on soon.

I had a phone interview for a position

the hiring manager told me

that "they are still in the process of interviewing candidates and that he should have more information in the following weeks."
[It has been 2.5 weeks since that email from him.

I haven't heard anything since

Job, Hello....

You have nothing to lose by doing what it is you want to do- press for an interview so you can determine if this company has a better job than the one pending where they made you an offer.

Simply taking the pending offer job means you may not be able to undo what you've done without it being sticky and you won't have done what you want to do- determine whether the hiring manager does or does not have the 'better' job.

So, email or better, call that hiring manager, letting him know you are still very interested in the opportunity, especially because you have such and such experience that ties into the job and you have a particular interest in the company because blah blah blah.

This way you are reminding him why you are qualified and that you also have a particular interest in the company for whatever reason is true for you.

Then, say you have a particular interest in coming down and meeting him because another company has made you an offer but you don't want to make a decision without his meeting you. Not your meeting him, his meeting you. Important to know the difference.

Then stop and wait to see his response. You have just done the 'take away'. See how he responds.

If he kicks it into gear and suddenly shows more interest and sets an interview date with you, you have accomplished your purpose.

If he dithers for any reason at all, knowing you have an offer, then you have enough information at that point to know that either he was not impressed enough with you to begin with, he is looking for someone with more experience or whatever or he takes too long to make decisions and this is a pattern for him so you have been forewarned.

By all means, let him know you have an offer but be humble about it, giving him the impression it is his input that matters.

At that point, you will have done all you can reasonably do.

(The 'take away' is a sales technique. Imagine looking at the shelf at the grocery store with cereals on display. There is only one box of Wheaties left but you are not sure if you want it or not. Then, while you are thinking it over, you see someone coming down the aisle, looking in the direction of the cereal choices. Without hesitation, you grab the Wheaties before the other person can. It is a natural reaction that can be applied in sales situations. Like the car salesman who tells you the car you are looking at is the "last one in that color".)

Have Fun,

Paul......

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search