Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-13-2015, 03:44 PM

6,141 posts, read 3,373,816 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ontheradio View Post
So I've been looking for work but I have limited work experience, sadly. I got laid off from my last job nearly a year and a half ago and I've mainly just been applying to entry level gigs in food and retail to no avail. It wasn't until today when I got a rejection from Chipotle because it was my scheduling they had an issue with, they told me. I understand coming from them, because they are known to be especially stingy and have "high expectations" as they are known for. Do you think my being unavailable 2 weekends of every month is a major setback along with my limited work experience? If so, what other jobs could I get that could work with my schedule that don't require much experience?
It's a crying shame that being unavailable for 4 days a month somehow make's you undesirable.. It's too bad you didn't going into nursing..as it's always been available of having 2 weekends off per month..or ability to switch shifts with others to cover

I also must say..having a GED and some college experience is NOT uncommon in this day and age. Do you have any options of getting your foot thru the door offering partime hours..and prove yourself with good work ethic? Since you never mentioned just what interviews you have had..I'm assuming it's with some business that offers benefits..so demand that you devote your whole life to them before they will even entertain hiring you

Is there any chance you can get into some sort of courses that offer internships in order to gain experience in something?? How about programs offered by some companies who offer on the job upgradings for their particular venue?

I wish you the best of luck..Job market is so difficult to navigate these days..and from what I have heard..just getting an interview ( getting past the application process) is a feat in of itself..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2015, 03:51 PM

7 posts, read 4,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyndarn View Post
It's a crying shame that being unavailable for 4 days a month somehow make's you undesirable.. It's too bad you didn't going into nursing..as it's always been available of having 2 weekends off per month..or ability to switch shifts with others to cover

I also must say..having a GED and some college experience is NOT uncommon in this day and age. Do you have any options of getting your foot thru the door offering partime hours..and prove yourself with good work ethic? Since you never mentioned just what interviews you have had..I'm assuming it's with some business that offers benefits..so demand that you devote your whole life to them before they will even entertain hiring you

Is there any chance you can get into some sort of courses that offer internships in order to gain experience in something?? How about programs offered by some companies who offer on the job upgradings for their particular venue?

I wish you the best of luck..Job market is so difficult to navigate these days..and from what I have heard..just getting an interview ( getting past the application process) is a feat in of itself..
Thanks. And yes, I have clarified that I am fine with part time and proving myself from there. I don't really know what else to do as of right now, but I have been entertaining the idea of doing an internship, I just don't know for what exactly because I really need something that works with my schedule, which is hard to find, as you can see.

I'm really lost and I don't know what direction I want to go in career wise but I know I need something that works with my being unavailable 4 days a month.

Old 06-14-2015, 01:03 PM

6,131 posts, read 7,988,699 times
Not being available almost 50% of weekends for a job that requires regular weekend work is sure to be a showstopper, no matter what the reason is.

Old 06-14-2015, 01:21 PM

16,235 posts, read 25,221,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ontheradio View Post
There has to be something or an employer that can understand. Those can't be the only options.
You can look at all other jobs. But, the truth is, folks who have more experience at some jobs want the newbies to work the weekends....that is gonna be a given in retail or food service.

Have you any interest in working as a receptionist, or at a day care, or other places that do 9-5 M-F

I have no clue re: your location....But, I just searched google...and a list of jobs came up...this at least would give you some ideas for what jobs to look for. Simply used the words " Monday thru Friday jobs" Mon Fri Jobs, Employment | Indeed.com

Do a search on your local job site, and see if you can find similar job names....Good luck to you

Old 06-15-2015, 06:15 AM

7 posts, read 4,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JanND View Post
You can look at all other jobs. But, the truth is, folks who have more experience at some jobs want the newbies to work the weekends....that is gonna be a given in retail or food service.

Have you any interest in working as a receptionist, or at a day care, or other places that do 9-5 M-F

I have no clue re: your location....But, I just searched google...and a list of jobs came up...this at least would give you some ideas for what jobs to look for. Simply used the words " Monday thru Friday jobs" Mon Fri Jobs, Employment | Indeed.com

Do a search on your local job site, and see if you can find similar job names....Good luck to you
I would definitely not mind doing office work! I actually see that being a better fit for me. I just need someone to give me a chance to prove myself.

And I'm in Los Angeles, btw. Thanks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search