Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-16-2015, 10:45 AM

2,259 posts, read 4,720,827 times

Advertisements

A couple of months ago I applied on line for a job, and a week or two later I get a call from the recruiting company that posted the ad. It was the job that I was waiting for almost doubling my pay, more hands on work etc..So the recruiter set up a phone interview with this company for me. The phone interview went well, and they said that they would get in contact with the recruiter about setting up a face to face interview. Well a week or two went by and I hadn't heard anything, from the recruiter, or the company itself. I call the guy who set up the interview to ask him what's going on? "Well they're real busy right now, they just hired a new manager for the department that you applied for etc...Well some more time passed and nothing. I send an email to the recruiter, nothing, no email back, no phone call, no text. So then I tried the lady that I did the phone interview with "we just hired a new manager for that department, we're real busy, leave me your name and number"....still no response back.
Before I had this interview this guy was calling me getting everything set up, texting me questions, lots of emails, and now that it seems that nothing has come of this endeavor he can't be bothered to even send me an email with some kind of update. This isn't the first time either in the beginning of the year I had an agency get a hold of me, set up an interview, I didn't get the job, and haven't heard from the since.
Is anyone else having the same experience with recruiters/ employment agencies?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2015, 05:21 PM

10,075 posts, read 7,469,576 times
maybe it is the IT field? ones I've dealt with for healthcare jobs are pleasant to deal with, mostly I tell them when I want to work, they give me a list of openings and I pick one, then they go about setting up interview and telling me when it is, I find out if I got the job or not soon after, if I do, the agent does the most of the paperwork and I just sign on the dotted line. Though they did take their share of the money but I get 3/4 of it, so I was happy enough since they provided housing and all

Old 06-21-2015, 12:34 PM

2,400 posts, read 3,626,656 times
Ive had no results yet from recruiters at staffing agencies. Ill try one more this week and from here onward, Im applying only directly to the companies hiring. These people have used up more than enough of my time.

Old 06-25-2015, 08:37 AM

Has anyone, once you've figured out what the name of the company is, just bypass the recruiter and start dealing with the person in charge of hiring?

Old 06-25-2015, 01:00 PM

4,839 posts, read 4,115,585 times
I've never gotten any job with the aid of a recruiter. I think in your situation I would wonder where the manager who recently got the job came from? Maybe I'm wrong, but don't most companies use the same recruiter/agency?

Old 07-07-2015, 07:56 PM

Finally got a hold of the recruiter, and all he could tell me is that their client lost contact with them, and they wanted an engineer and not a cad drafter. It took him more than two months of me calling and emailing to get that response.

Old 07-08-2015, 08:34 AM

135 posts, read 164,374 times
The only recruiter I have any respect for was actually a poster on here. I've never met the man and location and job field would prevent him from referring me to a position. However, he is respectful and gives other posters relevant advice.

The recruiters I have met with are very involved and prompt when answering phone calls and emails when contact is initiated. They are always able to connect me with companies. Leading up to interviews, they get annoying. Endless phone call and email reminders. The "tips" like dress professionally, turn off your cell phone, and be on time are what I would consider obvious, and certainly not worth a several thousand dollar finder's fee. It always makes me wonder who the job candidates are that these things need to be stated.

Then they disappear. There is no feedback provided, either good or bad. The job offers I have received after being referred by a headhunter have always been on the low side. I suspect this is because they have to pay a % of the salary to the recruiter as a commission, so it is in their best interest to low ball.

Old 07-08-2015, 09:29 AM

928 posts, read 1,095,688 times
I've found jobs through recruiters and although I believe there are good guys and gals out there some leave a lot to be desired. First of all, they work for the employer. It's in their best interest to present the job and company in the best possible light and I have been mislead because of that.

My advice is to use them because they can often get your foot in the door but do not rely on them for anything else. Do all your communication with the company directly if you can.

Old 07-08-2015, 03:33 PM

39 posts, read 29,718 times
Recruiters’ are the fast track in reaching the hiring manager. The issue is finding a recruiter that can present your credentials to the hiring manager. Because the recruiting industry follows a sales model the staff only needs enthusiasm and a sales personality. As an applicant you are the product. The hiring manager is the buyer.

As an applicant you may believe the recruiter has a peer relationship with the hiring manager and has industry experience, when in fact this is far from the truth. I did a study on over 300 CyberCoders recruiters to document what I already experienced. Only 4.39% of the recruiting staff had industry experience which means they worked in the industry they are recruiting. Conversely 95.6% of the staff only has a vendor relationship with the hiring manager.

Not only do most recruiters’ only have a vendor relationship, it is also their first job (69.28%). A sizable number of recruiting staff, 38.56% is their first job out of college. While only 23.82% have over 5 years’ experience.
The negative issues people experience from using vendor relationship recruiters are attributed to an applicant having work experience and not understanding the recruiting sales process. While the process may seem personal it is not. One receives automated emails from recruiters based on keyword search, not because they think you’re special.

If you can locate a recruiter who has experience in your industry then you will have a peer relationship which makes them qualified to represent you. When you discuss your credentials during a phone interview it will be like talking to a co-worker, very relaxed. They won’t waste your time and know how to extrapolate your resume skills sets and articulate them to the hiring manager. If they present you to the hiring manager you have accomplished one huge hurdle, breaking through the HR department.

Recruiters wasted my time until I found several that were qualified. You also have to concern yourself if you applied to the company directly for another job. They may not want to pay a commission to the recruiter because you were already in their database, applicant is stuck in the middle.

Regards,

P.S. A recruiter who has over 10 years’ experience with no industry work experience can be helpful because they have established relationships with hiring managers, maybe even placed them, so they would know what they are looking for in a candidate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search