Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2015, 11:34 AM

12,970 posts, read 9,651,799 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by reli2015 View Post
Hi

Four years a go I finished my degree in computer programming. But since then I haven't had a job.

I have a disability that effects my speech, this has played a negative role on my confidence to look for work. I always thought, "I have the degree, I am keeping up with the skills, I'll get a job when ever I want to"

My thinking was that, for an entry position employers just want someone that knows how to do the job. I know how to do the job, so no problem. Now though, I am scared to look for work, I keep thinking that maybe the 4 year gap is going to be a big problem. Yes I'd be great at a junior role, but so would every 21 year old graduating now. Why would they take me and not them

Ever since I remember, I never wanted kids, I still don't. This (not having the desire to create a family and think about kids future) also made me think that I have enough time to do what I need to do to gain confidence and then start my career. Now I truly feel ready for work. I know that I am a grown ass man acting like a kid (not wanting to work), but I truly believe that I needed these years to work on insecurities - nothing that I could spin in an interview, but the books I read, the gym training I have done, and the keeping up with programming made me think "to hell with the fact that I can't talk that well. I'm strong (which might be overrated when we are), definitely able to do a juniors job - and more. I am ready for work".

But from an employable perspective, am I screwed?
No, you are not screwed and you are still a young man. Don't let your disability get in your way of finding a job, I don't believe many will hold that against you. Best of luck to you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2015, 01:07 PM

6,230 posts, read 6,922,180 times
You will have to be exceptionally good in your craft to stay ahead these days. Don't forget, there are people abroad who will program for near minimum wage, no benefits, and will work 20 hours a day.

Old 06-22-2015, 03:26 PM

5 posts, read 17,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by s1alker View Post
You will have to be exceptionally good in your craft to stay ahead these days. Don't forget, there are people abroad who will program for near minimum wage, no benefits, and will work 20 hours a day.
That would also be valid for all beginners though. If employers get workers from abroad, then all college graduates are similarly at disadvantage

Old 06-23-2015, 12:18 PM

339 posts, read 628,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reli2015 View Post
That would also be valid for all beginners though. If employers get workers from abroad, then all college graduates are similarly at disadvantage
Good job not letting the negative people get you down. There are plenty of interesting, well paying jobs still in the US. It may be harder than it used to be but it's definitely not impossible to find them.

I strongly suggest that you look into any open source projects that you can get involved in. This will show employers that you know how to work in a team environment and that you are still sharp on programming. You could do something as simple as helping to update documentation, or helping to document the code. There are plenty of options.

On the speech impediment part - we have a very senior engineer at our company who has a speech impediment and still meets with customers. I think taking time off of work to improve your self confidence was far more important to your future than trying to work while feeling down about it.

Best of luck!

Old 06-23-2015, 12:50 PM

5 posts, read 17,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JakeWilliams View Post
I strongly suggest that you look into any open source projects that you can get involved in.
That's something I have looked into recently. Already got chatting with someone through reddit that told me how I could contribute in his project (starting with basic stuff to get the hang of how open source works)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JakeWilliams View Post
I think taking time off of work to improve your self confidence was far more important to your future than trying to work while feeling down about it.
Even though I am scared of whether I'll be able to overcome the gap in employers eyes, without trying to sound stubborn, I really believe in the idea that taking the time was good for me personally. In these years I have improved a lot, but of course none of that improvement is work related

Thanks Jake
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search