Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2015, 08:12 AM

126 posts, read 205,991 times

Advertisements

Last week, I applied for a Junior Marketing Admin position with a small company. My background is in Advertising and Marketing and I've been working in that field for several years in higher positions. I decided to apply for a less stressful position since I wanted to go back to school for MBA at the same time.

Director and Regional Manager offered me a higher position as a Sales Manager. I was so thrilled and I eventually accepted the position. The Marketing Manager (drama queen gay guy) whom the original job was supposed to report to, didnt seem happy. He would snub me , ignore me, and always gave a sour face whenever I tried to strike up a conversation with him. But, I just ignored it. I was happy that I finally got a job. Im getting paid.

Company has a strict no personal device (cell phone usage) during business hours, cant use work computer for personal use. I have not ever once used the work computer once.

1st day- I was excited. First day.Things seemed to go well. I was training with a couple of people, sitting with them, understanding the process of how things function. I took notes, met with Director and Regional Manager throughout the day and reported to them what I learned and again, told them everything is good. They were happy with me. One of the coworkers I was training with told me "hey, you are person number 7. We've had 6 other people in this role the past 2 months." I replied "well, Im going to make this work." and left it as that. Another coworker, who was 8 months pregnant, mentioned to me that she got robbed that morning across the street and was told by my boss not to tell me because it might scare me off.

2nd day- I came to work 30 minutes early happy as can be. There was only one other person that got there before me (Marketing manager). I found my computer on (when I logged off the previous day), and facebook, Nordstrom and Pinterest web pages was open. I NEVER went on any of those sites and on facebook, my name (not an email and no password) was typed in the login but no password. I got suspicious. The Marketing Manager was the only person that was in the building so I assume it was him that was on my computer but never asked. I just closed the web browser and pretend nothing happened. Later on in the day, Director had the IT guy set up my phone to receive work emails, so I sat with him for 5 minutes with him fiddling my phone and i put it away. I continued training with other people. They all asked me what I did in my prior job and I told them about my past experience and how it was great working there, and that I am looking forward to working in this company.

3rd day- I get called into the Directors' office. He asked how things are going. I told him things are going well and thanked him for choosing me for this position. I even typed up pages of notes, telling him my thoughts on how we can get new accounts, etc. This is where it gets interesting.

Director- We just hired a new marketing assistant and he will start Monday. We've never met him but he is the marketing manager's friend. Also, I'd like to add that we've had 6 people in this position the past 2 months and it's just a hard position to fill. I've heard there's tension between you and the Marketing Manager and everyone else.

Me- What? I dont know what you're talking about. I didnt really get a chance to work with anyone that long and not even worked with marketing manager. what complaints have you heard?

Director- I am not sure what others are talking about. Lets call the regional manager in.

Regional Manager- I heard you telling other employees about how you enjoyed your last job. as a manager, that is not right. do you think you're better? You also complained of it being quiet. You complained that it was too sunny. you complained about every thing. One of our guys roots for a basketball team out of state and you told him he should root for a certain team. We dont allow put downs. You complained about the president not being in the office.

Now, I am puzzled. RM is clearly just throwing out little stupid unrelated things.
She brings in marketing manager.

Marketing Manager yells- YOURE TRYING TO TAKE MY JOB! You have no experience.

And he throws two pieces of paper on the desk in front of everyone. A picture of my desktop computer showing the facebook, pinterest, and nordstrom pages open. and a picture of me holding my cell phone with the IT guy next to me programming it (IT guy was cropped out of picture).

Regional Manager- Why are you using personal computer for your own use? why are you on your cell phone? Youre clearly not the type of person we want. we picked you for this role and we ousted better candidates. We regret picking you. Why would you even attempt to talk to the president? Dont you know you have to go through chain of command? You have to go through me before talking to him.

I told them i wasnt out trying to anyone's job. When I do make small talk with other coworkers, it's because I am trying to get to know them and socialize (this is during break time). I would never say anything to put people down. I wanted to talk to the president to say a simple hello and introduce myself.

Me- I had no idea others felt this way about me. Id like to apologize if I ever came off rude but whatever negative vibe I gave, Id like to apologize to them.

Marketing Manager and Regional got up and left.

Director- Im sorry. I dont know what just happened. We have to let you go . youre not a right fit for the job.

I felt helpless. I couldnt defend myself. WTF just happened?

Director walked me out. I was out in the parking lot crying. He hugged me and said " i am really sorry. I dont know what happened. I just have to back up what the regional manager says. I do think we should've gone another route of handling this. please drive carefully. "

What are your thoughts? Please be nice. I feel like hell!

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2015, 08:27 AM

1,899 posts, read 3,497,388 times
Sooner you're out of there the better. Good riddance.

Old 06-26-2015, 08:28 AM

2,696 posts, read 3,761,883 times
Awful, since it just happened and you feel lousy. Que 1: Someone did not like you from Day 1 and it was probably the marketing manager. That or you said something someone else took offense to quite quickly as it was perceived to be negative.

If they burned through this many people as you described, then that place must be a crappy place to work at. Move on and put it behind you, learn from it whatever you can. Honestly, as a new person, I would say very little and certainly nothing negative from the start. Even so, they sound paranoid.

Curious, was this a large company?

Old 06-26-2015, 08:32 AM

this company was fairly small. About 9 people.

I would NEVER say anything negative to anyone about anything. I do know that the Marketing Manager hated me from the beginning.

But my god, I just feel like crap. It's hard not to think about it, but having awful things said to me just crushed me.

Old 06-26-2015, 09:19 AM

3,852 posts, read 4,140,750 times
I'm sorry that this happened to you. Hiring 7 different people for the same job over 2 months sounds like a nearly impossible feat, but shoudl also have tipped you off that something was up. (In interviews, I always ask why the position is vacant, and if I learn someone was fired, I probe further). I think it was inevitable that the job wouldn't work out. It also sounds like a tyrannical and quite unprofessional workplace. It sucks, but you are better off not working there. They owe you pay for the time you did work.

Old 06-26-2015, 09:33 AM

Well, they did hire me right away the day after the interview.
During the interview, I asked about the position and why the last person left and was told that this is a new position and they dont have any turn over rates in the company. They also went on to say the company is stable, and long term employees have been there since day 1...blah blah blah.

It was actually one of the coworkers that first told me about the high turn over rate for this position.

Yes, the place is unprofessional and the regional manager was on a power trip.

It's just hard to swallow the fact that I wasn't there long enough to do actual work and that I wasnt able to defend myself. Any type of rejection hurts, whether you were happy or not.

Old 06-26-2015, 11:44 AM

3,852 posts, read 4,140,750 times
Don't waste your time feeling rejected. Just thank your lucky stars that you dodged a bullet!

Old 06-26-2015, 12:11 PM

2,696 posts, read 3,761,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sfcitygirl84 View Post
Well, they did hire me right away the day after the interview.
During the interview, I asked about the position and why the last person left and was told that this is a new position and they dont have any turn over rates in the company. They also went on to say the company is stable, and long term employees have been there since day 1...blah blah blah.

It was actually one of the coworkers that first told me about the high turn over rate for this position.

Yes, the place is unprofessional and the regional manager was on a power trip.

It's just hard to swallow the fact that I wasn't there long enough to do actual work and that I wasnt able to defend myself. Any type of rejection hurts, whether you were happy or not.
That sums it up, they sound unprofessional from the get go. You will bounce back and find something that fits you better.

Old 06-26-2015, 12:14 PM

2,702 posts, read 2,756,288 times
To hell with that company. You got setup from the beginning because the manager didn't like you. Just move on. It's a blessing in disguise that you were fired.

Old 06-26-2015, 12:33 PM

thank you all for responding and kind words.
I will move on and find something better. it just sucks having to look for a job and when you finally land a job, you gotta deal with backstabbing, messed up culture and unprofessional people.

Don't these Managers and higher up people realize that when they fire someone, they are seriously putting someone's life in jeopardy? I mean, i have bills to pay, rent, food, living expenses...It's just difficult.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search