Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-07-2015, 01:01 PM

452 posts, read 619,917 times

Advertisements

I got my walking papers recently, and have been feverishly searching for new work. I have had interviews and offers, but they are half or a little above half of what I was making. I live a little bit below my means, but I am mid career and have family expenses now. It just seems like nobody wants to pay anything anymore. Our cars, and rent are already on the lower side so I can't really downsize. I just don't really know what to do.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2015, 01:13 PM

13,520 posts, read 22,131,339 times
Been there, done that.
If you don't have the savings to last much longer, then take whatever job you can get.
You can always downsize more ... get rid of the extra car, watch your food budget, cut out all non-essential expenses.
As a last resort, draw from your retirement accounts.

Old 07-07-2015, 01:15 PM

6,234 posts, read 8,443,944 times
I worked 2 lesser paying, manual labor jobs until I found a good paying job. Took about 3 months, working 2 jobs is good incentive!

Old 07-07-2015, 01:23 PM

22,591 posts, read 47,670,343 times
You take what you can get, to pay the bills, while looking for something better.

Old 07-07-2015, 01:30 PM

12,101 posts, read 17,095,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 909er View Post
I got my walking papers recently, and have been feverishly searching for new work. I have had interviews and offers, but they are half or a little above half of what I was making. I live a little bit below my means, but I am mid career and have family expenses now. It just seems like nobody wants to pay anything anymore. Our cars, and rent are already on the lower side so I can't really downsize. I just don't really know what to do.
When I got laid off several years ago, my boss told me one of the reasons was because I was overpaid.

Turns out he was right, because all of the offers I got after that were considerably lower than what I was paid. It wasn't half, but in my experience, if you apply to a certain type of job, and you get offers within a certain range, that is the going rate for that job.

Old 07-07-2015, 02:29 PM

311 posts, read 478,067 times
You have my sympathy. That is a tough situation to be in, especially with a family. Any chance you could tell us what your profession is?

In any case, keep in mind that after going into a lower tax bracket, etc., a gross salary of half your prior income probably doesn't mean a 50% hit in your net pay, so accepting one of these offers may not be as draconian as it seems. In the meantime, you may need to "side-step" your way back up the ladder (i.e., stay a job for awhile, gain skills, then go interview again for a higher paying position, etc.). Its tough, but you will get there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search