Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-09-2015, 04:01 PM

3 posts, read 1,898 times

Advertisements

Alright, so I really dont want to write a whole story but the point of this post is I have been actively job searching for quite a while. I have never gotten close to getting a job or a phone call back. Right now, I need to find a decent paying job.
I am a 20 year old female. I have a resume that I send with all my applications. When necessary, I also send a cover letter along with the requested resume. I have 2 job history listed in my resume where I worked at Dunkin Donuts consistently for a year and a half. I also have worked/volunteered as a office assistant/receptionist as part time for a year as well. I also was interested in being a medical/nursing assistant which I took a course but decided I did not want to pursue it. I mean, I also have experience in the health care doing vital signs, administrative work and such. I apply for jobs online, on craigslist, and in-store (asking for an application) - anything I can get. I would really like a city job as they have much more benefits and they pay more. I just don't know what to do anymore..I feel hopeless I cant find anything and it will be a while before I do. The research and the long hours I put in to seek employment is really daunting in a way and makes me feel like I am just wasting my time - heck...even my brain cells. I am really an introvert and would even like to find online work but I just don't know how to even begin and such..I wish I knew how to..IDK..i JUST NEED assurance? tips? thoughtful responses? maybe just a rant?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2015, 05:03 PM

126 posts, read 206,490 times
Hi Cherrywi,

It is definitely frustrating trying to find a job nowadays in this horrible economy. There are tons, and I mean literally, hundreds of thousands of unemployed people from all backgrounds (old and young, GED/HS/BS/PHD/Masters Degree) that are in the same position as you, including me, looking for a job, but having a difficult time.

Sometimes, when we don't hear back from employers, we automatically assume the worst about ourselves. And believe me, there is NOTHING wrong with you. It's just that there's only a handful of jobs and an influx of unemployed people competing for the same job.

For example-

I applied for a government job ( one open position) 8 months ago and was asked to take an in person written exam yesterday. I was so hyped up about the exam. When I went to the testing center, there were 432 people (testing center people counted) standing in line, waiting to go in and take the written exam. I could not believe it. It was crazy hectic. 432 people taking the test and only ONE person is going to fill it. I couldn't believe it. I was shocked!

I spoke to several people before the test and shared their current job situation- A young boy who just got his AS degree has been living in a van since the beginning of the year and is willing to work any job, an elderly lady (maybe in her 60s) just got her Bachelors and was in dire need to find a job to pay her sick daughter's hospital bill. All the people I spoke to were desperate for jobs.

All I can say is, don't give up.

Keep sending out your resumes. If you have time, maybe volunteer in an office to gain new skills. Try not to have a gap on your resume.
Keep yourself busy doing productive things, like taking Alison courses online, volunteering, exercising. Bottom line- dont give up

Old 07-09-2015, 05:06 PM

13,520 posts, read 22,137,817 times
What skills/training/education do you have?
Low-skill, entry level type of positions (i.e. retail) are probably especially tough right now as you are competing not only with adults but HS/college kids for summer jobs.

Old 07-09-2015, 05:08 PM

3 posts, read 1,898 times
^ Thanks for the very positive reply. I will keep sending out resumes and keeping myself busy in the meantime...it's just frustrating when at the moment you really need some sort of income though..

Old 07-10-2015, 12:16 PM

6,393 posts, read 4,117,050 times
You are not going to find an online job where you work from the comfort of your home (assuming that's what you meant when you said you're hoping to find an online job because you're an introvert).

I'm sure there will be plenty of people here to reassure you, so I will forego that and give you some (hopefully) useful advice.

Being an introvert only works to your advantage if you have some very specialized skillset that you are very good at. I have a friend who is an introvert but also is a very gifted computer programmer. Last year, they made him project manager of a group of software developers and after only 2 months of that he resigned and went back to working by himself alone in his office. He consistently calls himself the lone wolf. I'm his best friend and he rarely ever talks to me. It's always me who has to reach out to him. He's told me that people at work know better than to invite him to events. They talk about these events afterward all the time.

I know many here will attack me for this, but have you considered working on not being an introvert, or at least pretend to? In the work world, your personality has more to do with if you get hired or not than people are willing to admit. Not many people wants to work with someone that won't blend in with other people.

I'm a particularly outgoing person, and I believe it's helped me gone a long way in the professional world. I'm very good at relating to people. It's almost like sucking up but in nicer terms. After all, it doesn't hurt to have a lot of friends, or what many here call it "networking". I'm also deep in the closet (I'm gay). I absolutely don't see anything wrong with keeping a part of myself from day light at work if it meant taking me further in my professional career.

You haven't mentioned what kind of work you are looking/hoping to get into. Mind sharing with us?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search