Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2018, 06:06 PM

669 posts, read 581,979 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by milesfive View Post
I am right there with you about my current job and interviewing. I liked the past where you applied, interviewed in person for maybe an hour, then you were done. There were none of these BS questions either.
Yep. Eye opening for sure. I am used to being recruited for the next job etc. now...they are holding up hoops! And, yes, I am “older” these days. I need to drop the bar down lower. I hope to work another 5-7 years then...DONE.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2018, 12:25 PM

345 posts, read 252,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by STLgaltoo View Post
Yep. Eye opening for sure. I am used to being recruited for the next job etc. now...they are holding up hoops! And, yes, I am “older” these days. I need to drop the bar down lower. I hope to work another 5-7 years then...DONE.
I was just rejected for a F2F I had 4 weeks ago. Both hiring managers were probably late 30s. I got along well with them and had a good interview. Found something in common with one of them-we were both in the science field early in our careers. Everyone tells me to keep applying something will happen. In the mean time I am now approaching 59. Maybe it's time to stay where I'm at and just ride it out instead of stressing myself out. I can't believe my career took such a nose dive after getting laid off but it is what it is. Thank goodness I listened to my Dad and tucked quite a bit away in my 401K when I was making good money.

Old 01-30-2019, 11:53 PM

39 posts, read 18,593 times
Usually one or two stumbles.

Old 02-02-2019, 08:41 PM

4,964 posts, read 2,709,998 times
None of my interviews were ever perfect, whether I got the job or not. I saw plenty of awkward mistakes that the interviewers made. I made plenty of my own mistakes.

I was also shy and that was an additional struggle. Maintaining the proper composure, the proper facial expressions all the time, saying the right things without appearing too weak or too arrogant, not knowing the character and expertise of the interviewer, whether saying something innocent will enrage the interviewer, make it difficult if not impossible to have a "perfect interview".

Old 02-04-2019, 09:47 AM

9,386 posts, read 8,356,698 times
Having sat on the other side of the desk as the person conducting the interview, most of the people I interviewed were terribly unprepared for even the most commonly asked questions such as:

- Why are you leaving your current job?
- What about this job/company interests you?
- Biggest strengths/weaknesses?
- Tell me about a time when........

When I'm interviewing I go in with variations of answers to these questions prepared in my head as much as I can. I was always shocked at how bad the Average Jane/Joe is at a basic job interview.

Present yourself well, speak thoughtfully and you'll do just fine.

Old 02-05-2019, 12:08 PM

3,007 posts, read 3,131,896 times
I have had interviews that were straight from He11 and ones where I left sure I had the job, but didn't.
There in lies the rub. I hate it when the interviewer is so positive with you and tells you that you are perfect for the job and you will be hearing from them shortly, When they know at that moment you are not going to get the job.
You leave all hopeful and all, only to have your hopes dashed.
Perhaps the interviewer does not want to tell you, you don't have the job, but why not just say something neutral if that is the case, not build someone's expectations up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search