Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-18-2015, 11:54 AM

8,481 posts, read 6,886,522 times

Advertisements

It was always somewhat funny to me that when folks came in for an interview at the company I worked for many of the management types, who really asked very probing and sometimes demeaning questions, had never actually interviewed for their own positions. They were just given their jobs because of seniority or were popular with the management cliques that flourish in the corporate world.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2015, 06:07 PM

1,205 posts, read 1,854,531 times
A few months back I interviewed with an out of state correctional agency and one of the questions they asked was "Why do you want to be a CO?" For some reason I am unable to fathom today, I immediately blurted out "Because I need a backup job in case my other prospects don't come through" much to my embarrassment upon realizing what I said; I ended the answer with the usual spiel about getting experience and job satisfaction. Even MORE surprising was that I actually ended up moving along the process....

Old 11-19-2015, 07:13 AM

10,326 posts, read 17,425,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spudcommando View Post
"Why do you want to be a CO?"
You should have said because someone needs to keep a lid on the trash.

Old 11-19-2015, 08:28 AM

5,897 posts, read 3,898,177 times
One interviewer was upset that I arrived 10 minutes early.

Old 11-19-2015, 12:34 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,889,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandsthetime View Post
One interviewer was upset that I arrived 10 minutes early.
I guess he wouldn't like me then...

Old 11-19-2015, 04:21 PM

1,394 posts, read 1,258,351 times
I was walking into the interview and slipped and fell, cutting my knee, ripping my nylons and dripping blood down my leg. Because I was young, shallow and concerned only with how perfect I looked I didn.t tell her what happened. I got the job, but I will never forget how embarrassed I was. I covered my knees up with my dress but when I got to the car I was mortified.
Nowadays? Older and wiser? I.d sue for slip and fall cuz the sidewalk was not salted and a sheet of ice.

Old 11-19-2015, 06:31 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,889,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by earslikeacat View Post
I was walking into the interview and slipped and fell, cutting my knee, ripping my nylons and dripping blood down my leg. Because I was young, shallow and concerned only with how perfect I looked I didn.t tell her what happened. I got the job, but I will never forget how embarrassed I was. I covered my knees up with my dress but when I got to the car I was mortified.
Nowadays? Older and wiser? I.d sue for slip and fall cuz the sidewalk was not salted and a sheet of ice.
I would too but only if I had truly gotten hurt and could prove that a salted sheet of ice was the mitigating factor that made the sidewalk that much harder to walk. I mean if you broke a heel, you'd have the same outcome too or perhaps the bottom liner was going out on you.

Old 12-09-2015, 01:23 PM

7,380 posts, read 15,672,917 times
i interviewed for a job as a traveling assistant to the owner of a smallish company and the whole interview was him talking about his divorce and how his ex wife was always jealous of his assistants and oh if i was good at the job he might pay for an apartment for me.... **shudder**.

i was interviewing long distance and he said he was going to do a trial run of working a day together when he was in my area but he never got in touch... and i think that's just fine with me.

also it was an IT company and their in-house job application software looked like it was from 1983 (in 2013).

Old 12-11-2015, 02:27 PM

4,666 posts, read 5,091,366 times
I have had a lot of weird and goofy experiences during interviews, but the ones that really sticks out:
-I drove an hour to the place, waited for 10 minutes, and then about 5 minutes in after asking me 2 questions she ended the interview. This was in Denver.
-Another one they were 20 minutes late, didn't apologize for being late, asked me a few questions, and then let me ask questions. I was able to stretch what would have been 5 minute interview into a 40 minutes interview lol. It was in Chicago.
-There was a panel interview with 4 guys one of which was the owner. He was stoned out of his mind based on his general behavior and red eyes (it was in Denver). Two of them were condescending *******s. Only one of them seemed to truly care about interviewing me.
-Another one in Denver, I thought the interview went okay, but I saw them mock me as I was leaving.
-Yet another one in Denver one of the interviewers kept asking me irrelevant questions about a previous job and another one was very condescending.

Old 12-11-2015, 03:16 PM

1,301 posts, read 3,578,834 times
I haven't had a terrible interview yet, but I recently had one where the interviewer turned me off the job and the company before it was even half over. All she did was badmouth and speak condescendingly about her unionized staff (the job I was interviewing for was higher up, not a union position). Not to mention she openly talked about recent layoffs at the company (which, having done my research, I already knew about).

I could tell I wasn't her top candidate... I walked out not wanting the job... and I wound up not getting it. ;-)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search