Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-29-2015, 10:16 AM

1,596 posts, read 2,047,345 times

Advertisements

I recently applied for an Executive Assistant job that pays about $20k more than what I earn right now, and it would have gotten my foot into the door of a world renowned company (transfer opportunities to other states, etc.) The requirement was for a BA degree. I obviously have that since I have a MA degree. I made it to the first round of video interviews. But over a week later, I was not moved along further in the process because, as per the rejection letter, my career and education aspirations did not match the job.

I thought it was glorified way of saying I was over qualified. I'm at the point that when I apply for other EA positions, I will omit my MA degree to be on par with other applicants with just an Associates or BA.

My question is, would this be considered fraudulent by not being forthcoming about my higher education? If the job requires a BA degree, which I have, and I'm more than qualified for the job, why continue to put myself at risk of being rejected for being overqualified by listing my MA degree. For years I haven't put down my Associate's degree, I just had my BA listed. And when I obtained my MA in 2013, I have added that onto my resume.

Thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2015, 11:27 AM

6,031 posts, read 6,090,450 times
Unfortunate you didn't get the job, hope next one works out!

To the point, I have two Master's degrees: MBA from an Ivy, and somewhat-related degree from Queen's University in Kingston, Ontario. In years past, I seldom listed the latter on resumes or applications, it literally confused people. "So, an MBA...plus... a Master's of Business in something else...ah...?" Should I ever look for an executive role in Canada, I will however put it right back on my CV.

Bottom line: it depends.

It isn't fraudulent, there is no misrepresentation related to the job or job duties to not list something TTBOMK. And yes, I do recall interviewing a young guy many years ago who over-prepared for an interview for junior business analyst (entry level). He oversold the case, was obviously super-qualified (over-), with high-powered technical degree, and equally-obvious to me he'd have quit in six months out of boredom and frustration. I hope he went entrepreneurial, that seemed more his personality as I recall. Amusingly, we had the same alma mater, and I knew then as-now they tend to graduate aggressive go-getters. Sometimes a business role requires a little bit less go-gettum and more focus and quiet-time.

Old 07-29-2015, 12:32 PM

Thank you for confirming my reasons to do this. It makes sense. I just need to get my foot in the door, and I cannot find a job directly in line with my MA degree, but getting a job with a BIG company will lead to such an opportunity.

Old 07-29-2015, 12:46 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,162 posts, read 80,278,112 times
It may not be fraudulent to omit education (unless is says to list ALL) but some sticklers will be unhappy if they find out about it later, or uncover it during the background check. It's really a gamble. I hired an MBA for a lower pay ($50k) position despite thinking that he might bail when something better comes along, but he's been great for 3 years now. The experience he's getting will help a lot should something more related to his education come up, and we are getting significant movement lately with boomer retirements. Good luck with your continued search.

Old 07-29-2015, 01:55 PM

10,075 posts, read 7,479,584 times
I would list it, if they don't want you then they won't want you... to me, it would be a matter of pride... and taking pride in things you completed isn't bad. Even the EA job should be done with pride.

just make it clear that yes you have a MA and no, you don't mind working as a secretary... You just need to convenience them that you will stay long enough to make it worth hiring you. If you have other jobs with long job history, you could use that and say that you don't job hop. That you would prefer to take the secretary job and learn more about the company, then in time move up (and imply not move out).

It's not so much that they don't like people with MAs but I think it is they don't want people to treat it like a temp job because the job is still important. Just treat it like a real job and use the MA to help get you promoted later on, and not treat the job like a temp job where you will jump ship at the first chance. You might end up in a better spot just working your way up from secretary as well if you don't mind the work, and it'll be easier to take on more jobs/get promoted too if you work your MA into your tasks.

Old 07-29-2015, 02:28 PM

I currently work as an EA to a COO of my company and just started to consider looking for similar work with a new organization that will lead to an opportunity within that company for promotion into what I really want to do, with my MA. I haven't listed my Associate's degree in 8 years, so even though it may have come up in background checks, it obviously didn't matter. My goal is to simply use this tactic when applying for EA jobs that only need someone with a BA. But I'm still also applying for career specific jobs that are in line with my MA, by including that on my resume. I'm only omitting the MA for exec assistant jobs I'm applying for.

My MA degree was a road block to a job that paid $20k more than what I'm currently earning. Just can't win eh.

Old 07-29-2015, 03:29 PM

928 posts, read 1,096,537 times
Don't list it. A resume is just a marketing document not something that you are liable for if you omitted certain information.

On the other hand, what is your MA in and what are you currently doing? Is it way too different than being a EA?

Old 07-29-2015, 05:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Staggerlee666 View Post
Don't list it. A resume is just a marketing document not something that you are liable for if you omitted certain information.

On the other hand, what is your MA in and what are you currently doing? Is it way too different than being a EA?
I'm current doing double duty as an administrative manager and an executive assistant to a COO. I have years of admin support experience. However, my hobby is blogging, writing, social media, web content editing and production, etc., so I went to grad school to get my MA in Communication. Here in Michigan, some of the media/communication jobs I want pay much less than what I currently earn. Some other media jobs want a Communication degree, specifically, and pays much more, but, hundreds of 'social media professionals' apply for those too. The very few jobs there are here, attract a lot of interest. So I want to use the EA route to get my foot in the door of these organizations that have opportunities that I could transfer into one day.

I hate my current job so I'm looking for something else until I move very late next year to CA. And no, I'm not willing to hang in there and stay at my current job because it's unbearable.

Old 08-05-2015, 08:29 AM

Well, I have a new interview tomorrow for an EA position, using my new strategy.

Fingers crossed.

Old 08-05-2015, 08:51 AM

299 posts, read 374,892 times
Don't list it. I don't see anything wrong with it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search