Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-30-2015, 04:43 PM

2,420 posts, read 3,849,216 times

Advertisements

Are there 'key words' in a 'Help Wanted' ad that job seekers should look out for? What I mean is when an ad reads that the employer is looking for a 'Junior xxxxxxxxx' or an 'Assistant xxxxxxxxx' is the company really looking for someone young?

Or when an ad reads that the employer is seeking a 'Coordinator' is this a key word for woman?

What may be other key words or phrases to look out for which are code for something else?

I believe discrimination exists when it comes to hiring whether it's age, race, gender, etc. The EOE statement often found at the bottom of a 'Help Wanted' ad means nothing to me. Sometimes you can read right through a 'Help Wanted' ad by the way it is written.

-Cheers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2015, 01:04 PM

2,695 posts, read 3,771,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainBiking View Post
Are there 'key words' in a 'Help Wanted' ad that job seekers should look out for? What I mean is when an ad reads that the employer is looking for a 'Junior xxxxxxxxx' or an 'Assistant xxxxxxxxx' is the company really looking for someone young?

Or when an ad reads that the employer is seeking a 'Coordinator' is this a key word for woman?

What may be other key words or phrases to look out for which are code for something else?

I believe discrimination exists when it comes to hiring whether it's age, race, gender, etc. The EOE statement often found at the bottom of a 'Help Wanted' ad means nothing to me. Sometimes you can read right through a 'Help Wanted' ad by the way it is written.

-Cheers.
Not really, I'm sure it depends. "Junior" means near entry level or inexperienced. Such as "Junior administrator" is someone with very little experience being a systems administrator (computer operator).

Coordinator can be anyone, male or female. I see that word in job descriptions as an updated version of "Assistant." For example, they now call retail employees at Walmart "Sales Associates" that does not imply male or female to me.

Now, if a job description says you have to "be able to lift 50 pounds" I could see such a job going to males than rather to most females.

The employer can easily "discriminate" when selecting resumes for people to interview.

Old 08-01-2015, 10:39 AM

944 posts, read 1,210,505 times
A lot of jobs termed "coordinator" are of the data entry/office administration variety and are gender neutral but historically have attracted women

Old 08-01-2015, 11:02 AM

928 posts, read 1,101,453 times
If you are 35-50 and you are applying for a Junior position it just shows that you have done nothing to advance your career. Junior positions are for folks 1-3 years out of college. They are meant for less experienced folks with a lesser degree of responsibility and pay.

Old 08-01-2015, 03:40 PM

13,011 posts, read 13,045,846 times
I have no doubt that discrimination exists. Yet your post verges on the paranoid. How would you have me advertise an entry level, career track opening? Junior makes perfect sense as an adjective in this case.

Some people discriminate, others don't. Words aren't always code for nefarious behavior.

Old 08-06-2015, 06:15 PM

2,420 posts, read 3,849,216 times
No. Not paranoid at all. I was just wondering so I won't apply for the 'wrong' positions. What Staggerlee666 said makes a lot of sense.

Old 08-06-2015, 06:25 PM

18,069 posts, read 18,815,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Staggerlee666 View Post
If you are 35-50 and you are applying for a Junior position it just shows that you have done nothing to advance your career. Junior positions are for folks 1-3 years out of college. They are meant for less experienced folks with a lesser degree of responsibility and pay.
Someone cannot be 35-60 and just out of college? Switching career fields? Satisfied with that level of career because not everyone can be the CEO as it is an employment pyramid structure?

Old 08-07-2015, 06:06 AM

6,590 posts, read 11,286,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainBiking View Post

-Cheers.
Junior/Assistant is often more a reference to skill than age. Of course, there is some correlation between skill/age. But it doesn't automatically mean the hiring company is looking to discriminate against older workers.

There is no argument that discrimination exists. It's simply human nature. However, I think to say help ads are "coded" may be reading too much into things. Not saying it doesn't exist, or maybe a psychological phenomenon where someone is unconsciously choosing words based on their desired candidate. But my guess is that the majority of hiring organizations are simply looking to fill a need.

Old 08-07-2015, 07:00 AM

12,108 posts, read 23,278,346 times
I don't think ads are coded, but not everyone uses the same dictionary of terms. I would never think that "coordinator" means female employee. A "Junior" is for a new or relatively inexperienced person. Most -- but not all -- juniors will fall into the twenty-something age range.

Old 08-07-2015, 08:04 AM

694 posts, read 1,203,450 times
I am going to let you on a little secret, when I found out myself, I was in a state of shock. So you know how reputable newspapers such as NY Times have job ads that with very detailed descriptions? There is no real job. The ad is submitted by company that already has a person working in the job and the reason for it is because the person is on HB-1 visa, or another type of visa where the company needs to prove that they have spend considerable time and effort trying to hire US citizen, but were unable to do so, so the ad is simply used to cover the company for this situation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search