Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2008, 10:37 AM

8,189 posts, read 31,235,578 times

Advertisements

I have found that if you tell the person scheduling your interview that your current employer is not aware that you are looking they can be very accommodating about after hours interviews. I even had one interview at Cracker Barrel after hours, as it was half way between where I was and where the interviewer was. I have also had Saturday interviews.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2008, 11:19 AM

215 posts, read 1,660,428 times
To be blunt; you have two options
A - claim privacy (personal reasons)
or
B - tell them about the interview
himming and hawwing about it wont change that fact. You'll have to pick one or the other and make it work as well as possible. If it's A, then tell your new boss that your old one has no clue - he might be willing to flex timewise. If it's B, then either tell them the real reason why (EG not getting ahead, feel unappricated) or tell a white lie (EG want a shorter commute VS because I dont like you)

Old 01-25-2008, 03:27 PM

8,672 posts, read 22,269,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evey View Post
I have found that if you tell the person scheduling your interview that your current employer is not aware that you are looking they can be very accommodating about after hours interviews. I even had one interview at Cracker Barrel after hours, as it was half way between where I was and where the interviewer was. I have also had Saturday interviews.
Well, that's good to know that some might do that. I've just never been in a situation where I couldn't meet with someone relatively easy before.
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickjbor View Post
To be blunt; you have two options
A - claim privacy (personal reasons)
or
B - tell them about the interview
himming and hawwing about it wont change that fact. You'll have to pick one or the other and make it work as well as possible. If it's A, then tell your new boss that your old one has no clue - he might be willing to flex timewise. If it's B, then either tell them the real reason why (EG not getting ahead, feel unappricated) or tell a white lie (EG want a shorter commute VS because I dont like you)
Yeah, I think it's gonna have to be option A. I want to leave not because I dislike my boss or anything that I couldn't say. The fact of the matter is I'm just bored to tears with this one. I really couldnt see telling a current boss that you're out there looking no matter what the reason was. (After all, you might end up having to stay...)

Old 01-25-2008, 03:38 PM

1,368 posts, read 6,504,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaykay View Post
Well, that's good to know that some might do that. I've just never been in a situation where I couldn't meet with someone relatively easy before.

Yeah, I think it's gonna have to be option A. I want to leave not because I dislike my boss or anything that I couldn't say. The fact of the matter is I'm just bored to tears with this one. I really couldnt see telling a current boss that you're out there looking no matter what the reason was. (After all, you might end up having to stay...)
If the reason is that you're not feeling you're getting compensated enough, or that you're having issues with the people you work with... a good boss would hopefully be able to help you out, by figuring out if you really are worth a raise, or moving you to another team (in a large enough company). Or, if you're bored, finding challenging projects to work on.

This is usually referred to as leveraging, and usually takes place after you have the offer from the other company.

Edit: Ask your boss if there are other things you could pick up or learn to make the job more interesting for you. Maybe then you won't have to leave.

Old 01-25-2008, 08:57 PM

8,672 posts, read 22,269,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Radek View Post
If the reason is that you're not feeling you're getting compensated enough, or that you're having issues with the people you work with... a good boss would hopefully be able to help you out, by figuring out if you really are worth a raise, or moving you to another team (in a large enough company). Or, if you're bored, finding challenging projects to work on.

This is usually referred to as leveraging, and usually takes place after you have the offer from the other company.

Edit: Ask your boss if there are other things you could pick up or learn to make the job more interesting for you. Maybe then you won't have to leave.

Good ideas, but it's not appllicable to this situation. And yeah, compensation is a small part of my dissatisfaction. But just a small part. However, my manager doesn't have the authority to change my salary anyway except in tiny increments like after a yearly review. It is set by the company. IMO this particular situation is just not salvagable.

Old 01-25-2008, 09:30 PM

6,044 posts, read 24,093,179 times
I would just schedule the time off, and say, "I need to leave at 1pm tomorrow for an appointment." It's completely true. And only the nosiest of people would ask, "What's the appointment for?" And if he did ask, you could respond with, "It's personal, and I'd rather not say right now." That could mean a million things, and again, it's true...it is personal, and you're not ready to share this information right now.

Old 01-25-2008, 09:43 PM

10,757 posts, read 35,437,415 times
I had a job where the boss was very clear, if you were caught lying about what you were going to do with sick time and they found out you had been out to apply for other jobs, they would fire you on the spot.

If I couldn't schedule my interview after work, then I would take some vacation time. At my job, I had to ask a week in advance but I didn't have to tell them what I was going to do with the time.

I had to do this when I went to change my drivers license or pick my Mother up at the airport.

Old 01-25-2008, 10:12 PM

6,712 posts, read 13,460,010 times
Can you not just take a "vacation" day?

Old 01-26-2008, 07:32 AM

15 posts, read 48,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaykay View Post
Well, I may just be forced to say something like, "Could I take a little bit of extra time on my lunch hour tomorrow? I need to take care of some personal business."

No, I don't have a problem with saying that ...except that I'm concerned my boss would know something was up. But hey, if it's reached the point you want to look elsewhere...that's probably just what has to happen.

Yes, and I think that time may have come.

Thanks for all the input guys. That helps me clarify what I may by necessity have to do.
Not that I want to start or carry on another thread, but why are you considering another job (interview)? Is your current position something that could or may improve ($'s, responsibility, general satisfaction etc) with some "honest" discussion (some call it one on one's) with your current manager?
This could lead to a mutual understanding of your need to apply elsewhere if you continue to remain unsatisfied with your current position.
I could go on, but if your manager values your current efforts and contributions, what do you think he or she will say when you come to them and tender your resignation? Will you be prepared to tell them the truth as to why you are leaving? If the above is true, what if he or she offers you a counter offer hoping you will stay?
Just some food for thought.

Old 01-26-2008, 12:29 PM

9,367 posts, read 25,212,237 times
I once gave my boss notice without having another job, because I always feel guilty looking for a new job while working for someone else. When he asked why I wanted to leave and I told him it was because of the salary (it was a state job), he asked if that was the only reason. When I told him yes, he picked up the phone and got me 6 k more- and this was years ago.

If you are bored, though, and you don't feel it is salvagable.....let me ask you- are you looking in the same industry? If not, you could just tell the truth. If you're in a bank now and are looking at going to work in a doctor's office, you could just tell your boss that you need time off to go to a doctor's appointment or say that you have an appointment with Dr. Smith.

Also, has has been said, most potential employers would do what they can to accomodate you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search