Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2015, 07:57 PM

126 posts, read 206,332 times

Advertisements

I sent a thank you email to the HR person that interviewed me in person. I felt the interview went well. I thanked her for her time, expressed interest and reiterated my skills on how I can contribute to the company.

Please tell me if this is considered "rude"-

Her response:

"It was very nice meeting you yesterday to discuss the Senior Data Analyst position. As I explained in detail, we are completing the initial round of interviews and will move forward from there. I will be in contact with you as we move through the process."

Umm...I've never gotten a response like that. Usually, I'd get a "it was nice meeting you. We will be in contact shortly".

What do you guys think?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2015, 09:17 PM

2,609 posts, read 2,504,547 times
I don't think that was rude. I think it was probably just a standard reply. If you had said something like "when will I know?" then I would think that she was pointedly telling you to be patient. Since you didn't say anything like that, I think it's probably just a standard response. The "in detail" part is a little pointed, but I wouldn't read too much into that reply. It could be that they've had some over-zealous inquiries before after an interview, and she's hoping to prevent that.

Old 08-08-2015, 05:56 PM

3,852 posts, read 4,150,565 times
"As I explained in detail" was totally unnecessary. Not necessarily rude, but a bit salty IMO.

Old 08-08-2015, 06:04 PM

6,589 posts, read 11,277,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sfcitygirl84 View Post
I sent a thank you email to the HR person that interviewed me in person. I felt the interview went well. I thanked her for her time, expressed interest and reiterated my skills on how I can contribute to the company.

Her response:

"It was very nice meeting you yesterday to discuss the Senior Data Analyst position. As I explained in detail, we are completing the initial round of interviews and will move forward from there. I will be in contact with you as we move through the process."

Umm...I've never gotten a response like that. Usually, I'd get a "it was nice meeting you. We will be in contact shortly".

What do you guys think?
Of course, if that was all there was, I'm sure someone would be asking "why? Are they still interviewing? I wish they provided more detail...".

But that's one of the disadvantages of written communication. It doesn't always communicate the tone of the message effectively.

I personally don't see anything obtuse by it. This is really no different than "per our discussion" or "as discussed". It's merely restating a covered point. Besides, at this point, it really doesn't matter much - does it?

Old 08-11-2015, 09:28 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,551 posts, read 81,085,957 times
I detected from the response some annoyance with the follow-up, probably because you didn't limit your thank you to the
expression of gratitude. When you "reiterated my skills on how I can contribute to the company" it may have been interpreted as pushy, and ticked her off.

Old 08-11-2015, 12:07 PM

306 posts, read 517,362 times
"As I said in detail" was pretty salty as someone mentioned. What else did you say in the original e-mail? Did you ask any questions, like when should you hear back, etc?

That is probably what generated the salty response. A generic thank you shouldn't have resulted in that.

Old 08-11-2015, 01:56 PM

8,340 posts, read 6,779,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sfcitygirl84 View Post

Her response:

What do you guys think?

Boilerplate reply. Not rude, just direct.

Old 08-11-2015, 04:32 PM

2,420 posts, read 3,847,289 times
I dunno. The "in detail" seems to be on the border of rude but then we don't know what else you may have mentioned on your 'thank you' letter. Anyway, hope you get the job.

-Cheers.

Old 08-12-2015, 07:22 AM

135 posts, read 165,332 times
I literally just got the same response as the OP to my thank you email from the hiring manager I met with yesterday. However, in my case specifically, I'm not interpreting it as rude so much as a cultural difference/language barrier.

Old 08-12-2015, 08:14 AM

2,033 posts, read 1,678,870 times
Sounds like a standard reply to me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search