Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-07-2015, 08:53 PM

17 posts, read 42,822 times

Advertisements

I've been interviewing for jobs and there's a lot of conflicting info out there about post-interview follow up--in terms of initial phone interviews, say after the interview I thought of a bunch of relevant things that I forgot to or didn't have time to mention during the interview (since phone screens are usually only 20-30 minutes long). I can't tell if the interviewer will be getting back to me about moving forward, so I don't know if I'll hear from them again and if the follow up will make a difference.

If you were an interviewer--and especially those in HR or who've hired before--would you be impressed or weirded out if the person sent several paragraphs and relevant files on some items; specifically, say they are small companies and I am interviewing for positions involving the design of the product and I wanted to send them some suggestions I thought of post interview. Basically sort of giving examples of how I would be doing the job if I had it--plus it would basically be a mini free design consultation for them.

Do you think that would be welcomed and reflect well, or a is it a bit much?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2015, 01:56 AM

9,891 posts, read 11,757,343 times
Too late after the interview.

Old 08-08-2015, 01:22 PM

856 posts, read 1,051,495 times
Default Would You Be Wierded Out/Impressed by Interview F/U?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jj1234 View Post

in terms of initial phone interviews, say after the interview I thought of a bunch of relevant things that I forgot to or didn't have time to mention during the interview (since phone screens are usually only 20-30 minutes long). I can't tell if the interviewer will be getting back to me about moving forward, so I don't know if I'll hear from them again and if the follow up will make a difference.

If you were an interviewer--and especially those in HR or who've hired before--would you be impressed or weirded out if the person sent several paragraphs and relevant files on some items; specifically, say they are small companies and I am interviewing for positions involving the design of the product and I wanted to send them some suggestions I thought of post interview. Basically sort of giving examples of how I would be doing the job if I had it--plus it would basically be a mini free design consultation for them.

Do you think that would be welcomed and reflect well, or a is it a bit much?
JJ,

You asking a perfectly good question since so many times people are themselves because they forgot to include something in the phone interview they believe would make a difference.

This is why it is so important to have a script or outline ready for when companies call back.

To answer- (assuming you are referring to follow up related to a phone screening)

It depends. Unfortunately, you specifically refer to HR which is the weakest link in the screening/interview process. Too many HR people would be inclined to file your follow up material because they would have already made a decision you are not a viable candidate. Too many are lazy and won't pull up your file and put you back in the hopper for continued f/u.

Others will have marked your app as not viable and they won't want to back track and take a chance on making themselves look foolish.

So you are looking for a conscientious HR staff member who cares more about the objective than their ego.

But they do exist, so no, it is not "too late" in all cases. Just too many of them.

You would have better luck with this if you were sending your design ideas to the Hiring Authority since that is the person who a) cares the most about hiring the right person and b) would appreciate your design ideas, especially since the HR person with whom you spoke may have only rudimentary knowledge of the company's ___________ processes.

So, the answer is-

Do it BUT, keep it simple. Keep your text to an absolute minimum and be sure to make it absolutely clear what the benefit is you are offering. Never hedge when you are betting the house. And if you have drawings or similar, make it as convenient as possible for the receiver of your f/u to be able to print it out.

When getting a job is on the line, you owe it to yourself to do whatever is necessary to promote yourself but just know in advance that your scenario, as you described it, will only work a minority number of times.

But again, that doesn't mean you should discard the idea. And don't forget what I said about that outline.

P.S. Here is something to consider (which everyone here will throw dirt on)----

You referred to "small companies". This gives you another avenue:

Consider sending your follow-up material to the person hiring for the position. That is the person who would most likely appreciate your design suggestions. If s/he does, s/he will either pick up the phone and call you directly (because you would have included your contact information) which is your goal or s/he would contact HR either to ask about you and/or direct them to contact you and bring you in.

Naturally, this also means HR may get their dander up but "C'est La Guerre, n'est-ce pas?"

You are looking to get hired and your are reaching for straws, gambling that this last shot will save you. So choose a pathway and see what happens. You have nothing to lose and it can't get any worse if they were already not fixin' to call you back.

Don't ask me how you are supposed to know- just decide if you are going to do what you want to do or not.

Paul..........

Old 08-08-2015, 02:27 PM

1,615 posts, read 1,640,103 times
Leave it alone. If they call to continue interview you can bring it up then.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search