Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2015, 09:42 AM

4,320 posts, read 5,138,285 times

Advertisements

Not sure if this is a trend or not, but during my last few interviews, it has been obvious that the interviewers have been very tight-lipped about saying anything negative about their organizations.

This is disturbing, I'm at a journeyman level and believe in "exploratory" interviews where both parties are interviewing each other to see if the job would be a good fit or not. It is not about getting any job you can. Historically I always ask about trouble areas thinking I can be the hire who can address them (and not fade from difficult assignments)... but lately all I'm hearing is BS 'strawberries and cream' interviews telling me almost nothing about work-life and challenges in these organizations.

So I guess the point of this post is: 1. Does anyone have any tips on getting important info out of an interviewer without appearing accusatory?; 2. Word of warning to other applicants to beware the BS/lies of omission; 3. Philosophical issues, another new way for employers to be unethical.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2015, 10:02 AM

279 posts, read 361,519 times
I've been in the workforce for greater than 20 years (though more than half was with one employer) but I don't think I ever was in an interview for a job where the interviewer spoke poorly of the org. It seems counter to the idea of attracting talent.

I was wondering if maybe you worded your post awkwardly and then you had this in the closing:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Back to NE View Post
So I guess the point of this post is: 1. Does anyone have any tips on getting important info out of an interviewer without appearing accusatory?; 2. Word of warning to other applicants to beware the BS/lies of omission; 3. Philosophical issues, another new way for employers to be unethical.
Who goes to an interview with this kind of mindset?

There's one thing about making certain that you are a fit for the culture of an org (is it top down management style or is it very team-oriented?) or if you have concerns about benefits and compensation (are there parking $ reimbursements, or what is the rate of turnover in the company) - but framing everything with a mindset that you described makes me wonder why you would apply in the first place?

I agree with exploratory interviews btw and in both the employer and prospective employee interviewing each other - but that's based on what kind of work you will do and the general culture of the org (e.g. can you work there) not on an attitude of they need to tell you whatever you want or else they are hiding something.

Old 08-10-2015, 10:24 AM

16,062 posts, read 26,746,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Back to NE View Post
Not sure if this is a trend or not, but during my last few interviews, it has been obvious that the interviewers have been very tight-lipped about saying anything negative about their organizations.

This is disturbing, I'm at a journeyman level and believe in "exploratory" interviews where both parties are interviewing each other to see if the job would be a good fit or not. It is not about getting any job you can. Historically I always ask about trouble areas thinking I can be the hire who can address them (and not fade from difficult assignments)... but lately all I'm hearing is BS 'strawberries and cream' interviews telling me almost nothing about work-life and challenges in these organizations.

Really strange post. Not sure where you are trying to go with this. You should absolutely make sure it is the right fit for you. You can ask about the culture, why the position is open etc. But to bad mouth them is not smart.

Old 08-10-2015, 10:34 AM

12,108 posts, read 23,281,885 times
And you think it is typical for interviewers to speak poorly about their organization?

Old 08-10-2015, 10:48 AM

10,612 posts, read 12,129,422 times
I get what you're saying OP, but I never EXPECT interviewers to be honest and forthright about ANYTHING. It's a shame people can't be honest...but how many people are these days when it comes to the job search.

I've been on one job search in the past 20 years. And all the people I met DID stress that "no one here leaves at 5p. It's not a 9-5 job, and lot of what's done might come in at the last minute." So THAT kind of info you'll get....BUT -- The REAL nitty-gritty you need to know you won't get:
-- corporate doesn't know WHAT we do
-- managers are tyrants
-- we've lost 6 people in the last three years and have only replaced TWO (and the second one is THIS position you're interviewing for)
-- we're doing twice the work, but have only had one raise in three years
-- 20 percent of the people do 80% of the work

....you HONESTLY think you'll get that kind of info?

I've heard stories of interviewers and hiring managers....moving on to other jobs before the person who's hired comes onboard in two weeks. You think the interviewer will tell you "this place sucks -- and s/he is looking to leave?"

When leaving one job for another....you takes your chances.....you just have to hope you're not going from one frying pan to another...or worse -- frying pan to the fire.

Look at how many people on this board have said.....if I had known then what I know now, I'd have stayed where I was......

Quote:
You should absolutely make sure it is the right fit for you. You can ask about the culture, why the position is open etc. But to bad mouth them is not smart.
1) "Absolutely sure" based on WHAT information? The real deal or the facade?
2) People make moves all the time, get there and realize they were out-and-out LIED TO. Not just misled by omission -- but lied to.

I've been on one interview in 20 years (about seven years ago)...and looking back at it, the way I was treated was the main reason I decided to just stay where I was. The interviewer was an a$$ hole, and removed from HIS job shortly thereafter.

Last edited by selhars; 08-10-2015 at 11:01 AM..

Old 08-10-2015, 10:48 AM

9,397 posts, read 8,363,704 times
There is a trick to getting this information out of interviewers, ask them what their company (or team, depending on who is interviewing you) could improve at or what challenges they face. Most will answer those types of questions honestly if you present them in a non-threatening way vs. asking "What is a big negative about this company??"

Old 08-10-2015, 11:32 AM

279 posts, read 361,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Florida2014 View Post
There is a trick to getting this information out of interviewers, ask them what their company (or team, depending on who is interviewing you) could improve at or what challenges they face. Most will answer those types of questions honestly if you present them in a non-threatening way vs. asking "What is a big negative about this company??"
I agree. One could also ask things like: "can you tell me something about the particular team I would be joining?"

That question is an opening for asking about the team's responsibilities and how long about has each team member been with the company.

Framed the correct way - you can look eager to help the area grow which is a positive, but if asked correctly you can also find out if there is high turn-over, or at least signs of lack of support.

Old 08-10-2015, 12:04 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,580 posts, read 81,186,228 times
Just as no applicant, including the OP is likely to highlight shortcomings, the interviewers are not going to reveal their problems. The applicant is trying to sell his/her self, the employer is trying to sell the candidates on their company.
It would be the rare and rather dense applicant that would reveal their lack of work ethic, laziness, trouble getting to work on time or other deficiency in an interview. An interviewer is never going to tell you that the work group is disfunctional, the management is incompetent, or they are suffering from financial difficulties.

Old 08-10-2015, 12:27 PM

10,612 posts, read 12,129,422 times
^^ Exactly!

That's WHY when you leave one job for another -- you're taking a chance. All you can to is make the best decision you can based on the best info you can get.

If you don't HAVE a job, then, of course, most of the time taking the job is a no brainer.
Even if you know you wont' stay or it may not be the best fit...you take it, and keep looking.

Old 08-10-2015, 02:03 PM

4,320 posts, read 5,138,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by selhars View Post
I've been on one interview in 20 years (about seven years ago)...and looking back at it, the way I was treated was the main reason I decided to just stay where I was. The interviewer was an a$$ hole, and removed from HIS job shortly thereafter.
You've been on ONE interview in 20 years and you felt qualified to respond to my post?

Until recently I've heard negative or problem areas during EVERY interview.

And especially when the interview is exploratory (where often a vacancy doesn't exist yet), it would make the interview virtually useless without some frankness, some honesty. They usually won't/can't talk salary but that is expected.

Some of you got what I mean, I just have to read thru the lines better. And look closely at the employees you see, if they all look miserable, that speaks volumes.

And I thought companies were more in tune with making good hires of best fit, going both ways. But it's fundamentally not going to happen if they just present a glossy facade. So from now on, I think word-of-mouth (trusted, impartial sources only) and internet research are far more important than the interview.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search