Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2015, 07:41 PM

52 posts, read 90,620 times

Advertisements

Hello,

So, I have 2 interviews tomorrow. One in the morning, and then one in the late afternoon (4pm). I would be doing better if I only had one, and was able to focus directly on that, but with 2 of them, my anxiety is getting the best of me. I am not sure why, but I am so nervous about tomorrow.

Have any of you had 2 interviews in one day? If so, how did you deal with it? I already have an anxiety disorder (take meds daily), so it's really making me crazy!

Also, how long after interview does it usually take for the employer to make up their mind on who they want to hire? I'm guessing since school starts on 8/25 - school positions I'm going for (I should know fairly quickly).

I'll do my best, and we will see what happens! Keep your fingers crossed for me, and I'll report back tomorrow night!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2015, 07:50 PM

13,011 posts, read 13,042,698 times
I did this once. The first interview was from 9:00 am 2:00 pm, the second was from 3:00-6:00.

Both were in the same field for similar jobs, and I know the field well, so there wasn't much to prepare for on the skills side. I did some research on both companies and kept my notes on a couple of index cards. I reviewed my notes on each company during the cab ride to each interview.

It was a long day, but the interviews were fairly similar, so low stress. I was offered both jobs.

Old 08-11-2015, 07:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishbrains View Post
I did this once. The first interview was from 9:00 am 2:00 pm, the second was from 3:00-6:00.

Both were in the same field for similar jobs, and I know the field well, so there wasn't much to prepare for on the skills side. I did some research on both companies and kept my notes on a couple of index cards. I reviewed my notes on each company during the cab ride to each interview.

It was a long day, but the interviews were fairly similar, so low stress. I was offered both jobs.
Wow, those are LONG interviews!

Old 08-11-2015, 09:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HemiStud View Post
Wow, those are LONG interviews!
My longest interview was 2.5 days. I have done that 3 times. Three hours is the shortest interview I have done in years.

It really depends on your career level and industry.

Old 08-12-2015, 04:41 AM

5,155 posts, read 4,619,965 times
I did that last week - 2 interviews on the same day. Fortunately for me, they were both for different positions in the university. Both dealing with the same things - except for different departments (clerk position).

Keep calm. I have anxiety issues as well, but keeping calm and focusing on what you can bring to the table really helps. Also, look at it this way: if one interview doesn't go as planned... i.e. the interviewer doesn't like you, you have another interview to fall back on and can sell yourself some more.

Just take a deep breath and practice grounding. Have you ever heard of that? An old therapist suggested it to me for my anxiety: 6 Ways To Ground Yourself When You're Feeling Anxious - mindbodygreen.com

Also, you might not hear back before school starts. I'm not sure, though. If you're a teacher, maybe. The university I interviewed for, they begin on August 24. I still haven't heard. I know universities take some time, I'm not sure about public schools.

Old 08-12-2015, 04:50 AM

12,104 posts, read 23,271,144 times
Take the time between interviews to de-stress, have a meal and relax. It sounds like you will also have some time to then focus on your second interview.

When they make a highering decision is anybody's guess.

Old 08-12-2015, 05:54 AM

3,852 posts, read 4,151,426 times
I once had three interviews in one day. I lived in the DC area at the time, and had had phone interviews with three employers in LA. When one of them invited me to fly out for an interview, I contacted the other two to let them know I would be in the area and available for in-person interviews on that day if they were interested. I ended up scheduling both of the other two on the same day. I felt like it was kind of a coup to get them all scheduled, since I was only being put up for 2 nights (I think). Actually, now that I think about it, I think I may even have been on a red-eye back home that same night!

This was 9 years ago and I don't recall exactly what time I had scheduled them for, but I spaced them apart as much as possible. I had a rental car from the first organization and had to navigate my way around this unfamiliar city all day. My interviews were in Long Beach, downtown LA, and Santa Monica, so there was some distance between. It was kinda crazy! However, it all went off without a hitch and I received offers from all three.

If you are prepared, there is no reason to be nervous (however, I understand that your anxiety will compound this feeling). Know your stuff about each prospective employer, and be confident in your skills, experience, and knowledge. Most importantly, don't overprepare. Relax, and focus 100% on the discussion at hand. Don't think about one when speaking to the other.

GOOD LUCK!

Old 08-12-2015, 05:20 PM

Well, I made it through!

I felt very confident in interview #1. I made them laugh, and I felt that my responses to the questions were really good. I did make it clear that I would rather work with the older group of school age kids than younger (hope that doesn't blow my chances).

#2 Went ok. The pay is pretty low for the nature of the job. Plus, my interviewer (the principal) came in wearing a t-shirt and shorts, lol. I am not sure how that will go as he was interviewing 3 people, and will be calling references tonight, and offer the position tomorrow. My references have yet to be called. Not a good sign I guess.

The first interviewer said a couple of days, so I am just going to see what happens. I hate waiting game, and figure that #2 is questionable at this time.

Either way, I survived

Old 08-12-2015, 07:51 PM

Good luck.

Old 08-12-2015, 08:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HemiStud View Post
Well, I made it through!

I felt very confident in interview #1. I made them laugh, and I felt that my responses to the questions were really good. I did make it clear that I would rather work with the older group of school age kids than younger (hope that doesn't blow my chances).

#2 Went ok. The pay is pretty low for the nature of the job. Plus, my interviewer (the principal) came in wearing a t-shirt and shorts, lol. I am not sure how that will go as he was interviewing 3 people, and will be calling references tonight, and offer the position tomorrow. My references have yet to be called. Not a good sign I guess.

The first interviewer said a couple of days, so I am just going to see what happens. I hate waiting game, and figure that #2 is questionable at this time.

Either way, I survived
Is it bad when your interviewer shows up in a t-shirt and shorts? I just felt like it wasn't very respectful to me or the other candidates. He also seemed like he was in a rush with me, as I caught him looking up at the clock frequently.

Anyone else have a weird interview like this (dress wise)?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search