Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-20-2015, 04:55 PM

61 posts, read 88,399 times

Advertisements

I have been working for a finance company for four years now and I believe they are going to shut down or be bought out soon. I have made a previous thread about how they have been threatening us to meet quotas and how they will use disciplinary action against us if we don't meed this numbers, which really aren't attainable. I have hit them by chance.

Anyway, I make $16.39 with no bonus at my current job, but I just interviewed at a company that is going to pay $13 per hour with a monthly bonus that averages around $1000. From what I have been told from other employees that have gone over there is that they normally make bigger bonuses than that and they are quite happy there.

What should I do? The schedule at this place will be 11 to 8 for a few months as well, where at my current employer I work 8 to 5. But a great perk is that the new company is literally right down the street from me, so I don't have to worry about burning gas. I am torn. I could stay here and ride it out, be miserable, or take a chance at a new place for a lower base pay and trust that the bonuses are decent, and trust that I can move up in the company.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2015, 06:31 PM

101 posts, read 415,715 times
It sounds like you know what to do.

If you take the other job, it will be closer to home and you'd save about $40-50 in gas a week (depending on car, distance, etc). Saving gas also equates to saving time, too. If it's right down the street, you could walk, ride a balk, get exercise.

Let's just say $40 a week. You'd save a little over $2000 a year in gas. Plus you have more time! Time is precious...

You would make $13/hour plus bonus. If you worked 40 hours a week, times that by 2080 hours for the year, you'd make a little over $27,000 a year.

Add the $2,000 you'd save in gas a year (if you spent $40 a week), that's about $29,000 a year.

Subtract your prior annual salary ($34,000 - $29,000) by the new one and then divide that by 24 paychecks, you'd need to make a little over $200 in bonus per pay period, to make roughly the same amount. Not much of a gamble, especially if the average bonus is $1000.

Can you make a little over $200 (bimonthly) in bonus? It seems so, according to the average you mentioned.

Will they allow you a chance to move up? It seems only fair and logical.

The schedule is different, but as you said, it'd just be for a few months.

Yes, it sounds like you know what to do... especially if the company is likely to be shut down or be sold. You'd have to look for a new job anyway. Better to get a new job while you have one, rather than have no job looking for a new one.

Go for it!

Old 08-20-2015, 06:41 PM

38 posts, read 60,120 times
Take the new job!

Old 08-20-2015, 10:21 PM

Yeah, I think I'm going to take the job if asked. I haven't officially been hired on yet, but my fingers are crossed and I am pretty confident that I will be, as one of the supervisors that interviewed me is a girl that I use to work with at my current company and she was nothing but happy to tell me how much of a better company it is. They told me all I have to do now is take this personality assessment, just because it's required and I think I might have a second interview, but they pretty much acted like I was on and told me the training class would start on 8/31.

Old 08-22-2015, 02:24 PM

The new job told me that they would want me to start a training class on the 31st, which would not allow me to give a two weeks notice? What should I do? Write a letter of resignation? What if the new job doesn't work out and they let me go after a day? Would I be eligible for unemployment?

Old 08-22-2015, 05:31 PM

13,011 posts, read 13,044,002 times
Take the new job, if for the simple reason that your current job looks to be a short term thing because of the pending shut down/sale.

It is nice to give 2 weeks. Professional courtesy, but not a requirement. Do what you have to do in order to secure your livelihood.

Old 08-23-2015, 10:10 AM

I will. I've been there for four years though, so it's kind of hard to do. I could use the reference. The job I had before that let me go after 8 years of service. My current job use to be a good place to work, but they've lost a lot of business, and are now threatening employees to hit these goals, which I have achieved, but just barely. It's too stressful for an anxious person like me.

Old 08-23-2015, 11:10 AM

Well, at least you can give a week's notice. That's something. I did that before and my old company understood.

If you explain your reasons and that the new company wants/needs you to start next week. You wanted to give two weeks, but must accept this opportunity for growth, etc. They will probably understand and may still be able to get a reference. You could ask HR or your current manager or supervisor if you are on good terms.

Just like fishbrains said, you have to secure your future. You have to take care of yourself.

Last edited by in_my_travels; 08-23-2015 at 11:52 AM..

Old 08-23-2015, 01:10 PM

They did manage to take our bonus away, change our goals, and threaten to use disciplinary action without notice. I guess that's something to take into consideration.

Old 08-23-2015, 01:52 PM

Oh jeeze! Yes, GET THE HECK OUT OF DODGE! Get out before they fire you! Oh boy. That's not good for morale, is it.

Yes, just one more week then. After that, you'll be at your new job, learning new things and in a much better place.

Now you have all the more reason to seek out new employment and to take that job.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search