Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-22-2015, 02:56 PM

58 posts, read 88,367 times

Advertisements

This is absolutely insane how checking that yes box is an instant application trash can. Why?

To be clear I stopped even attempting to get a "real" job 6 months ago, since then it has been nothing but minimum wage retail.

Bachelor's, retail (as a kid) and heavy logistics (both private sector and half my service) experience, Vet, charming, smart, hard worker.

What more do they want? Especially considering the WOTC means I will be working for basically free for them the first ~9 months.

Over 50 apps I've gotten two interviews. Nailed them, got along great with the interviewing managers, watched them check "exceeds expectations" on the interview packets, get to hiring manager/background check and game over. One ghosted me and ducked my calls, the other the interviewing manager actually called me, apologized, and blamed the "stupid corporate policy."

Any ideas CD? Either on opportunities for felons or on the stupidity that is blanket bans?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2015, 03:13 PM

12,108 posts, read 23,278,346 times
Here's a thread from last week on the subject:

//www.city-data.com/forum/work-...lons-able.html

Old 08-22-2015, 03:26 PM

58 posts, read 88,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joe from dayton View Post
Here's a thread from last week on the subject:

//www.city-data.com/forum/work-...lons-able.html
Cool, thanks. Although that just confirmed the fears - fast food is the only option.

Well crap. Turning to real crime doesn't seem like that bad of an option comparitively, how hard is it to be a burglar or drug dealer?

Old 08-22-2015, 04:56 PM

12,108 posts, read 23,278,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by toysoldier1982 View Post
Cool, thanks. Although that just confirmed the fears - fast food is the only option.

Well crap. Turning to real crime doesn't seem like that bad of an option comparitively, how hard is it to be a burglar or drug dealer?

It's not particualarly hard. The trick is not getting caught or getting killed.

Old 08-22-2015, 08:17 PM

6,393 posts, read 4,114,442 times
Unfortunately, my company is one of those that does not consider someone with a felony record at all.

Old 08-22-2015, 09:57 PM

659 posts, read 940,564 times
To be honest, WHY should someone hire a felon as opposed to someone that has a squeaky clean record?

One abides by all the rules and didn't break the laws, the other broke the law.
It's called personal responsibility, even if it's "easy" to get a felony conviction as you say, I tend to not believe you because if it's that "easy" then more than half of the population would be felons.

Old 08-23-2015, 10:55 AM

6,393 posts, read 4,114,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabiya View Post
To be honest, WHY should someone hire a felon as opposed to someone that has a squeaky clean record?

One abides by all the rules and didn't break the laws, the other broke the law.
It's called personal responsibility, even if it's "easy" to get a felony conviction as you say, I tend to not believe you because if it's that "easy" then more than half of the population would be felons.
What you say sounds reasonable in principle. But what are these reformed felons suppose to do? They gotta earn a living, too. By automatically rejecting them, society is essentially forcing them to go back to their criminal past.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search