Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-25-2015, 09:21 PM

5 posts, read 3,810 times

Advertisements

I recently sent my resume for an assistant management position with a well known franchise group that was hiring at my local franchise. The job has a wonderful benefits package as well as a really good starting salary (at least for someone my age at this point in my career). Although I met the listed qualifications/requirements they were looking for I honestly wasn't expecting to be asked to interview. I jumped at the opportunity considering I'd be making far more than I currently am, would have benefits and the potential to move upwards within the company. I first had a phone interview with HR that went great. Two days later I met with director of operations. He really liked me and I felt good about it but he did tell me their were 6 other candidates. (yikes!) another two days and I have my realistic job preview with local GM and was basically told the job was mine and to wait for a phone call. Finally got the call today and was told they all really thought I was a great fit and would be an asset to the company. THEN tells me there is another candidate and asks me if I'd be willing to relocate for the same position in a few months (I'd be doing paid training until then) and help open and operate a new store in Nebraska. better salary, and $ to help me relocate. he realllly spent a lot of,time trying to sell me on the offer and i was told to spend the night mulling it over/researching and that'd he call for answer and with final offer TOMORROW. is this completely unheard of? what should I think of this offer? was he basically saying I relocate or no job offer? I just find it odd this wasn't mentioned to me before.
to add, I'm single (no partner, or children, mortgage, ect) so relocating doesn't bother me much..I'm only 21 and this is a great chance to REALLY jumpstart my career.
I guess I'm just looking for some advice/opinions here? it just wasn't what I was expecting when answering that phone call! what do you all think of the situation? good sign to get the other offer or not so good?
thanks!)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2015, 09:23 PM

there* were six other candidates! sorry

Old 08-25-2015, 09:54 PM

367 posts, read 458,120 times
Where would you be moving from if you went to Nebraska? That would really affect what I would suggest for you.

Old 08-25-2015, 10:39 PM

13,011 posts, read 13,047,890 times
It's unusual, but not unheard of.

Most likely, if you decline to relocate, you won't get the job.

I suspect that you impressed them as a candidate, but they don't have a local position open for you. Doesn't matter if another candidate got it, or they never had one. The point is nothing is available to you now.

So you take the relocation or keep looking for other opportunities.

They do have an opening in Nebraska. This might be a single opening at a location that needs a person, or they may use one of their Nebraska locations to develop their farm team. No way for you to know. The important thing is that once you relocate, you have zero guarantee of ever getting out of Nebraska. That may not matter to you, or it could be critical. Once you are there, if you are filing an open position, you aren't getting out until you land an internal company transfer. If it is a farm team system, because they have a great training manager in Nebraska, they will relocate you again once they have trained you sufficiently. The key thing is, they can relocate you anywhere, not necessarily back to wherever you are now. If you quit, they won't lay to relocate you to your home area.

On a decision of this magnitude, if I were you I wouldn't trust the hiring managers promises of relocation later. After all, if he breaks his promise, he suffers no repercussions, while you are heavily impacted.

This really comes down to how comfortable you are with relocating to Nebraska indefinitely, and to somewhere else entirely at some point, maybe.

Old 08-26-2015, 06:34 AM

2,528 posts, read 1,657,253 times
If I was at your age and marital situation I would go for it without thinking much. I did this kind of thing before and never regret it.

Old 08-26-2015, 07:57 AM

367 posts, read 458,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mash123 View Post
If I was at your age and marital situation I would go for it without thinking much. I did this kind of thing before and never regret it.
I agree with you on general terms, but this is also why I asked the OP where she is moving from. Moving from New York City, Chicago, or similar to Nebraska will have a high level of culture shock. As it is simply a different way of life. Moving from a small city or town with less hustle and bustle would seem to be a far easier transition. If it's Omaha, it might be a big city, but in no way is it NYC, Philly, LA, or Boston, etc.

Old 08-26-2015, 01:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jessica2099 View Post
Where would you be moving from if you went to Nebraska? That would really affect what I would suggest for you.
I'd be relocating from Casper, Wyoming. Only about a 5 hour drive. it's not a huge city by any means, but definitely not as small as a town the size of Sidney, NE

Old 08-26-2015, 01:20 PM

1,939 posts, read 2,163,191 times
I would do this in a heartbeat considering you are unattached and don't have any obligations (that you mentioned) where you are.

Good luck!! And congrats :-)

Old 08-26-2015, 01:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishbrains View Post
It's unusual, but not unheard of.

Most likely, if you decline to relocate, you won't get the job.

I suspect that you impressed them as a candidate, but they don't have a local position open for you. Doesn't matter if another candidate got it, or they never had one. The point is nothing is available to you now.

So you take the relocation or keep looking for other opportunities.

They do have an opening in Nebraska. This might be a single opening at a location that needs a person, or they may use one of their Nebraska locations to develop their farm team. No way for you to know. The important thing is that once you relocate, you have zero guarantee of ever getting out of Nebraska. That may not matter to you, or it could be critical. Once you are there, if you are filing an open position, you aren't getting out until you land an internal company transfer. If it is a farm team system, because they have a great training manager in Nebraska, they will relocate you again once they have trained you sufficiently. The key thing is, they can relocate you anywhere, not necessarily back to wherever you are now. If you quit, they won't lay to relocate you to your home area.

On a decision of this magnitude, if I were you I wouldn't trust the hiring managers promises of relocation later. After all, if he breaks his promise, he suffers no repercussions, while you are heavily impacted.

This really comes down to how comfortable you are with relocating to Nebraska indefinitely, and to somewhere else entirely at some point, maybe.
Thanks for the response. I absolutely do not want to be in this particular part of Nebraska indefinitely. I see it more as an opportunity to HOPEFULLY gain more experience in order to eventually land a better job somewhere else in a few years.
I'm thinking if there is not an opportunity to relocate/further my career within the company a year or two after the move, the experience I would have gained would help me find a job in a more desirable location.
I just worry that might be slightly naive of me?

Old 08-26-2015, 01:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cdarocks View Post
I would do this in a heartbeat considering you are unattached and don't have any obligations (that you mentioned) where you are.

Good luck!! And congrats :-)
Thanks so much! I really just hope that it benifits my career in the long run. The unknown is very scary but I am hoping that it is the right direction for me at this moment in time!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search