Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-29-2015, 08:36 AM

291 posts, read 390,592 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone,

This question is for the HR types, but I'm curious as to other opinions as well.

I just completed an online application for a position. I was considering also sending a hard-copy resume and cover letter through the mail.

Is this a way to make you stand out or possibly get gigged for not following directions?

Thanks.

-Buz
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2015, 08:54 AM

6,393 posts, read 4,112,029 times
If you want to stand out, do so without not following instructions.

Back in high school, when I was applying to college and scholarships, I made sure I followed every word in the instructions. My parents are from another country and they didn't care much for instructions. Not part of the culture. They insisted I send in entire packages of everything I had and every achievement I've made. So, I applied to 6 scholarships. 5 of the 6 I followed instructions to the letter. The last application I followed my parents' instructions and gave them everything.

I won all 5 scholarships that I applied to following their instructions down to the T. The one scholarship I did not win was the one that I sent in everything I had like my parents told me to.

My point is there are many many many many ways you can stand out without having to not follow their instructions. The point of standing out is you want to prove to them you're not a cookie cutter candidate, yes? Anyone at all can apply online and send in a package. How does that make you stand out?

Just my opinion.

Old 08-29-2015, 09:12 AM

291 posts, read 390,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MetroWord View Post
If you want to stand out, do so without not following instructions.

Back in high school, when I was applying to college and scholarships, I made sure I followed every word in the instructions. My parents are from another country and they didn't care much for instructions. Not part of the culture. They insisted I send in entire packages of everything I had and every achievement I've made. So, I applied to 6 scholarships. 5 of the 6 I followed instructions to the letter. The last application I followed my parents' instructions and gave them everything.

I won all 5 scholarships that I applied to following their instructions down to the T. The one scholarship I did not win was the one that I sent in everything I had like my parents told me to.

My point is there are many many many many ways you can stand out without having to not follow their instructions. The point of standing out is you want to prove to them you're not a cookie cutter candidate, yes? Anyone at all can apply online and send in a package. How does that make you stand out?

Just my opinion.
Great response Metro, and thanks.

It's just getting more challenging to have your resume stand out with such heavy competition. There were 300 applicants for a position I applied for last month.

Old 08-29-2015, 10:30 AM

1,500 posts, read 2,900,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzliteyear View Post
I just completed an online application for a position. I was considering also sending a hard-copy resume and cover letter through the mail.
No.

First, don't ever apply twice to the same job. (sending your resume a second time 'looks' like a second application)

Second, using snail mail makes you look like a dinosaur.

Old 08-29-2015, 01:33 PM

13,011 posts, read 13,038,222 times
It's situational. Our posted openings clearly state that all applications need to be submitted via our HR portal and that we will not accept paper, in-person or email applications.

If you were to send your duplicate hard copy resume to HR, they would probably shred it and never tell me about it, as they don't want to make decisions on behalf of the hiring manager. If you were to send your resume directly to me, it would remove you from contention for the job, as I am not looking for people who refuse to follow directions.

Other people will react differently.

Old 08-29-2015, 07:18 PM

12,104 posts, read 23,262,756 times
If they wanted something through the mail, they would have asked for it.

Old 08-30-2015, 01:57 PM

856 posts, read 1,051,495 times
Exclamation Send a Resume + Online App

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishbrains View Post

If you were to send your resume directly to me, it would remove you from contention for the job, as I am not looking for people who refuse to follow directions.

Paul

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search