Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-31-2015, 04:48 PM

2,775 posts, read 3,757,953 times

Advertisements

hey all. So I'm going through the process of obtaining a new job that pays, roughly $12k a year more than my current job. Here are the pros and cons

New job pros: higher wages. $12k a year bump!
Better benefits

New job cons: mandatory OT weekly.
A 45-50 minute commute one way vs. a 15 minute commute now.
Mandatory works holidays
Crappy hours.
Daycare will cost us $700-$800 monthly.

So, the fact we will have to pay for daycare is nearly a deal breaker for me until wife graduates college. As it is, our schedules mesh PERFECTLY with my daughters. Someone is always home, with the exception of a few hours per week of overlap that my wife's mom can babysit. The new job would require us to rely on daycare as a primary means of babysitting. Not to mention the fact that I would miss the first and second Christmas with my daughter. So, I'm weighing my options, and finding I should hold onto my current job, for now. Am I stupid for doing this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2015, 05:28 PM

3,947 posts, read 2,571,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaredC View Post
hey all. So I'm going through the process of obtaining a new job that pays, roughly $12k a year more than my current job. Here are the pros and cons

New job pros: higher wages. $12k a year bump!
Better benefits

New job cons: mandatory OT weekly.
A 45-50 minute commute one way vs. a 15 minute commute now.
Mandatory works holidays
Crappy hours.
Daycare will cost us $700-$800 monthly.

So, the fact we will have to pay for daycare is nearly a deal breaker for me until wife graduates college. As it is, our schedules mesh PERFECTLY with my daughters. Someone is always home, with the exception of a few hours per week of overlap that my wife's mom can babysit. The new job would require us to rely on daycare as a primary means of babysitting. Not to mention the fact that I would miss the first and second Christmas with my daughter. So, I'm weighing my options, and finding I should hold onto my current job, for now. Am I stupid for doing this?
Short to are you crazy... Maybe

Long answer...

That 1000.00 is before the increased taxes? If you have to 800.00- now it a 400.00 increase. But is this day care cost at the university? Maybe they have discount for students?

Still, have to work Christmas? And up
to 3 times the drive time?

Is the new job more exciting? Enough for the extra negatives?

Edit to add... Your family can celebrate Christmas any way, any time you want. Can make the big day the day before and still spend time when you have on the day.

Another thought, will the new lead to better a position in the future?

Old 08-31-2015, 05:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Flower View Post
Short to are you crazy... Maybe

Long answer...

That 1000.00 is before the increased taxes? If you have to 800.00- now it a 400.00 increase. But is this day care cost at the university? Maybe they have discount for students?

Still, have work Christmas? And up to 4 times the drive time?

Is the new job more exciting? Enough for the extra negatives?
It's a right step in the career department. When my lease is up, I could find a house closer to work, but until the end of next year, I'm stuck where I am. Yes, the $1000 is before the taxes. Her university can provide childcare, but only on the days she goes to the university. The other days she is interning, and would need to find a daycare. We found a daycare cheaper, about $600 a month, but, it's a questionable area, so I'd rather pay more for better daycare.

Old 08-31-2015, 05:43 PM

As for Christmas, yes, you CAN celebrate it another day, but it's not the same. I remember those Xmas's when my dad was working. It didn't matter if we celebrated it the day before or after, it just wasn't the same.

Old 08-31-2015, 06:26 PM

3,947 posts, read 2,571,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaredC View Post
It's a right step in the career department. When my lease is up, I could find a house closer to work, but until the end of next year, I'm stuck where I am. Yes, the $1000 is before the taxes. Her university can provide childcare, but only on the days she goes to the university. The other days she is interning, and would need to find a daycare. We found a daycare cheaper, about $600 a month, but, it's a questionable area, so I'd rather pay more for better daycare.
I don't understand why the internship wouldn't count as a student based classload and qualify for the day care.

I agree with you,go with the higher quality day care!

As far as Christmas- at age one and two, your daughter won't know the difference. You will though.

Look at the pros and cons and weigh the importance of each. For example, those overtime hours will take you away from your daughter more than Christmas.

Play devil's advicate... You take the job, how do rewards stack up against the hardships... And then turn it around... You don't take it, how long before another job come around...i.e. How long has it taken to find this one.

If you keep leaning one way or the other, there is your answer.

Best wishes!

Old 08-31-2015, 06:42 PM

3,452 posts, read 4,616,330 times
The extra $1k a month after taxes will be around $800

$700 of that will go to daycare. The other $100 will go to gas.

Add to that the fact that you are working holidays and extra hours.

You will actually lose money if you really think about it from an hourly standpoint

Adding 5 extra hours per week to your commute time is also going to really suck

If moving closer to the job is a possible and if the job really will boost your income over the next

couple of years than I say go for it.

I personally would stay put and wait for your wife to finish school.

Do not burn the bridge with the job that you just interviewed for.

Find someone to keep communication open with them. You never know what may open

a year from now.

Old 08-31-2015, 07:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by usamathman View Post
The extra $1k a month after taxes will be around $800

$700 of that will go to daycare. The other $100 will go to gas.

Add to that the fact that you are working holidays and extra hours.

You will actually lose money if you really think about it from an hourly standpoint

Adding 5 extra hours per week to your commute time is also going to really suck

If moving closer to the job is a possible and if the job really will boost your income over the next

couple of years than I say go for it.

I personally would stay put and wait for your wife to finish school.

Do not burn the bridge with the job that you just interviewed for.

Find someone to keep communication open with them. You never know what may open

a year from now.
Well, I wouldn't be able to move for a bit over a year, and anything before that timeframe is near impossible without spending thousands of dollars. Right now, if I took the job, the daycare costs alone would ruin us financially. After my wife graduates and finds a job, which will be fast because she will be a special Ed teacher (very high demand), it would be safer for me to job hunt. I just hate searching for a job, jumping through all of the hoops and make it this far only to turn it down. I COULD technically take it, but I like being home with my new family. My daughter is only 2 months old, but I've never known the happiness she brings me. And it's true, at that age, she won't even notice I'm gone for Christmas, but I will and my wife will. Ok thanks all, I've made my mind up.

Old 08-31-2015, 07:57 PM

52 posts, read 90,612 times
I personally would stay put at your current job based on what you've stated. Good luck!

Old 08-31-2015, 09:24 PM

16,062 posts, read 26,734,689 times
I don't see any upsides to the new job.

*longer commute
*daycare payment you break even
*mandatory overtime
*you work holidays

If I were in your shoes I would stay put.

Old 08-31-2015, 09:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by veuvegirl View Post
I don't see any upsides to the new job.

*longer commute
*daycare payment you break even
*mandatory overtime
*you work holidays

If I were in your shoes I would stay put.
Yea, that's the conclusion I came to. If it weren't for daycare, it would pretty much be a nobrainer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search