Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-06-2015, 08:14 PM

162 posts, read 247,536 times

Advertisements

So, I most likely will get a job offer (references were called on Fri after my interview). I know this position needs to be filled quickly, and involved working in a school. I am excited about this opportunity, and had some HR questions.

If offered the position (Tues) hopefully, I am sure I will have to go in and fill out a hiring packet. How long do these usually take to put together after an offer? I guess my question is, how likely is it that I would be able to start this week if offered the position? I am also sure I will have to do a fingerprint background check.

How long has it taken most of you to start after an offer? Just kind curious how quickly this will happen.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2015, 08:42 PM

16,062 posts, read 26,734,689 times
It can take any amount of time. I have had offers I could start immediately, others that took weeks. There isn't really a magic eight ball.

Old 09-06-2015, 08:44 PM

Makes sense.. Just was kind of wondering what the average time of most people on this forum were. I hope to start soon.

Old 09-06-2015, 11:58 PM

10,075 posts, read 7,534,604 times
most people have at least 2-4 weeks because they need to give notice at current job and then wait until the new company starts a pay period for orientation

Old 09-07-2015, 07:23 AM

12,104 posts, read 23,262,756 times
I would not expect to start this week. There can be many variables at play and, as noted above, we like to start people at the beginning of a new pay period.

Old 09-07-2015, 11:14 AM

Robot spam?

Old 09-07-2015, 08:24 PM

2,609 posts, read 2,504,547 times
Since you mentioned this is a school job, and it is the beginning of the school year, it will likely go very quickly. Schools are on their own timetables, and they run by the school year, not really by pay periods (although of course they do have pay periods). IME, if they hire you, school has already started or starts this week, and they need you working with kids ASAP, you will likely be in place by the end of this week, perhaps even by Wednesday. An exception would be if they require school board approval first, and then you would have to wait until the next school board meeting unless they get an exception. Good luck!

Old 09-08-2015, 03:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GraceKrispy View Post
Since you mentioned this is a school job, and it is the beginning of the school year, it will likely go very quickly. Schools are on their own timetables, and they run by the school year, not really by pay periods (although of course they do have pay periods). IME, if they hire you, school has already started or starts this week, and they need you working with kids ASAP, you will likely be in place by the end of this week, perhaps even by Wednesday. An exception would be if they require school board approval first, and then you would have to wait until the next school board meeting unless they get an exception. Good luck!
I received a job offer this afternoon, which I gladly accepted! I have to go in and see HR on Friday to do paperwork. I then have to do fingerprinting, drug test, etc. So, I am hoping I will start next week, if not the week after. I guess it will just depend how quickly the HR process moves at this point, as well as my background report coming back.

Thanks all!

Old 09-08-2015, 05:10 PM

Congratulations! Thanks for the update,
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search