Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-07-2015, 08:30 AM

544 posts, read 1,237,166 times

Advertisements

hi,
i'm going to be looking to move to CA and am doing job searches online. I've signed up w/ a lot of job search engines. the problem is a lot or most of these positions do not list a salary or even salary range. I want to apply but not willing to apply to jobs that are lower or waaay lower to my current salary. Why do they NOT list the position's salary and not waste anyone's time? i'm wondering if i should apply, get to the interview stage and then they tell me the salary? this process makes no sense. Not sure what to do.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2015, 10:54 AM

13,011 posts, read 13,038,222 times
There is really not much you can do.

Companies don't post salary ranges for a number of reasons. They want to maintain the information imbalance so that they have the upper hand in salary negotiations. They don't want existing employees to see what new hires make, in case new hires are brought in at higher ranges. They may not have firm salary thoughts themselves.

You can only apply and be prepared to walk if they don't offer you an appropriate salary.

Old 09-07-2015, 03:52 PM

544 posts, read 1,237,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fishbrains View Post
There is really not much you can do.

Companies don't post salary ranges for a number of reasons. They want to maintain the information imbalance so that they have the upper hand in salary negotiations. They don't want existing employees to see what new hires make, in case new hires are brought in at higher ranges. They may not have firm salary thoughts themselves.

You can only apply and be prepared to walk if they don't offer you an appropriate salary.
thanks! i read somewhere here o this forum after i'd posted that on the application you can list your current salary and employer will decide if they want to contact you.

Old 09-07-2015, 04:57 PM

13,011 posts, read 13,038,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prettybaby80 View Post
thanks! i read somewhere here o this forum after i'd posted that on the application you can list your current salary and employer will decide if they want to contact you.
You can certainly do this. Some applications require that you enter a salary requirement, most require a salary history. It may not be to your benefit though. It is all about that information imbalance I referred to earlier.

Whatever you do, if you throw out a salary request, don't use a range. Most people who do this harm their negotiating position by throwing out a low number to entice an employer, and a high number which is what they want to earn. The problem is that the employer discards the high number and offers the low number, because they have exactly zero incentive to offer the high end.

Think of it this way. If a carpenter says that they will build you a deck for fixed price of $2,000-$5,000, what are you going to offer him?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search