Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-14-2015, 07:43 AM

126 posts, read 206,612 times

Advertisements

I was recently hired for a new position (I start today) but last week, I was emailed a couple of forms to fill out, including Fair Credit Report and employment screening services.

I was a victim of identity theft in the past (person opened up numerous credit card accounts under my name when I was in college a couple of years ago) and since then, I've not been able to open credit cards, take out loans, etc. My credit score dropped dramatically. I was let go from last job within two days and I am assuming because of this (i was only there for 2 days....no access to computer, nothing). Do you know what 'fair credit report' reports to new employers? Im worried!

And lastly,

Since I was let go from that employer (a couple of months ago), I am worried that the Employment screening services will show that. Do you know to what extent the ESS will go to report about past employment? I dont want it to show up that i was fired in 2 days.

I am worried! Please help.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2015, 02:22 PM

6,131 posts, read 7,997,697 times
I'm assuming the form you are referring to is the disclosure and authorization for a credit report that is required by the Fair Credit Reporting Act (FCRA) which is a federal law that governs the use of credit reports. An employer needs to provide this disclosure to you as well as obtain your authorization to get credit reports as well as other types of reports that they may obtain from companies who come under the regulations in the FCRA (such as TheWorkNumber, a service that provides employment and possibly payroll data). I doubt there is actually a company or service called "Fair Credit Report."

Most employers get these forms signed, even if they are not actually going to run a credit check, so your past identity theft problems may or may not come to light.

If the previous employer terminated you as a result of information they obtained in a credit report, they are required by law (the FCRA, in fact) to notify you that that is the reason they took that action, as well as provide you with the name and address of the credit bureau(s) that they obtained the information from. If you didn't get that notification it is likely that they terminated you for some other reason. Didn't you ask?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search