Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-14-2015, 06:48 PM

289 posts, read 504,799 times

Advertisements

Would it be wrong to ask to see the details (premium cost, deductibles, etc.) of a health plan- or any benefits package, for that matter- before accepting a job offer? Would it be okay to bring up even earlier, like at a second interview?

The reason I ask is because I asked for the details of the benefits plan at a final interview with a company, and they simply told me they would discuss it at orientation if I got hired. They offered me the job, I accepted, and then I got to orientation only to find out the health plan was worse than the one at the job I left. I was disappointed and wished I had asked sooner, but I thought it would be rude of me, especially since they seemed to not want to get into it until after I was hired. Is it wrong or right to ask for the details ahead of time?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2015, 07:19 PM

676 posts, read 725,996 times
Thats one of the first questions I ask as my wife has alot of medical issues. If their insurance is going to cost you $4 an hour then you know to hit them for more money. Like you said, if there benifits are bad than it might not be worth leaving the current job.

Ill be doing this, this saturday as im paying $130 a week at my current job with below standard wage. If this new company has cheeper insurance than I can be a lil more flexible with my wage. If its expensive, than ill have to be firm. Either way it is definitely good to know the cost and how good it is before making the final decision.

Old 09-14-2015, 08:17 PM

789 posts, read 1,992,252 times
The full benefit package should be provided as part of your offer. When we extend an offer, you get an email with your offer letter and all of the details about the benefits (health, 401k, vacation, etc). All of this is part of your compensation, so how can anyone possibly make an informed decision on whether or not to accept a job without the full compensation information? I've had people ask about the benefits during the interview, and I don't mind the question, unfortunately I often can't provide the answers (I don't use my company's health plan) so I defer them to HR.

Old 09-14-2015, 08:22 PM

289 posts, read 504,799 times
I'm starting to wonder if they didn't offer me this information when asked because they knew I would balk at it.

Old 09-14-2015, 09:45 PM

16,062 posts, read 26,746,361 times
I always ask. The last job o offered the salary was a bit low. If the benefits were stellar I would have been swayed to take it. They were average so didn't make a difference.

Old 09-15-2015, 08:27 AM

298 posts, read 270,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orangejello View Post
I'm starting to wonder if they didn't offer me this information when asked because they knew I would balk at it.
Companies do this all the time.They don't reveal potentially negative info about their benefits or the job to the applicant. It's really on you to be reasonably assertive and ASK before accepting the offer. Otherwise you either have to see if you can get your old job back, or put up with their crappy benefits until you find something better. Or you can take back your acceptance and keep looking for another job.

Old 09-15-2015, 08:30 AM

6,393 posts, read 4,115,163 times
Every job I've ever interviewed for the interviewer laid out all the benefits to me.

If they don't volunteer the info, you should ask.

Old 09-15-2015, 08:52 AM

13,520 posts, read 22,131,339 times
Quote:
Would it be wrong to ask to see the details (premium cost, deductibles, etc.) of a health plan- or any benefits package, for that matter- before accepting a job offer? Would it be okay to bring up even earlier, like at a second interview?

The reason I ask is because I asked for the details of the benefits plan at a final interview with a company, and they simply told me they would discuss it at orientation if I got hired. They offered me the job, I accepted, and then I got to orientation only to find out the health plan was worse than the one at the job I left. I was disappointed and wished I had asked sooner, but I thought it would be rude of me, especially since they seemed to not want to get into it until after I was hired. Is it wrong or right to ask for the details ahead of time?

I wouldn't ask about it at the second interview but certainly would ask if it's not part of the offer package.

Old 09-15-2015, 11:28 AM

5,900 posts, read 3,900,192 times
Quote:
Companies aren't going to reveal their negative aspects and flaws to applicants. They need bodies.

Old 09-15-2015, 11:29 AM

298 posts, read 270,995 times
you can't assume companies will discuss it or bring it up on their own.You might get a new HR person. Or you get a moody one or one who hates her job. Or a spiteful one who just hates the process in general. Many scenarios within a company or company culture could explain why they just strung you along.In an ideal world, yes, they would be nice motivated people who actually care about hiring the best person and having a streamlined hiring process. But by the time we finish high school, we usually learn this world is not an ideal world. It's on us to secure what we want. It's on us to walk away understanding what's going on.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search