Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-12-2015, 08:11 PM

2 posts, read 2,483 times

Advertisements

Here's my story... I'm a white male in my mid-thirties, and due to an unlikely series of events, I haven't worked in any capacity in almost a decade. I don't have a college degree, but I did graduate high school and have never had any legal troubles, so I will pass a background check. My lack of employment history is making it impossible to find a job... if I'm honest about it, potential employers simply won't consider me. I've tried lying on applications, but that never works either. Is it possible to get a job with a ten-year gap in your employment history? I'm a very personable, affable person with good interpersonal skills, and I'm willing to do almost anything... what should I do? Does anyone have any advice? Have you heard of any similar stories that with a successful result? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2015, 08:25 PM

10,075 posts, read 7,558,559 times
skills? you could be a mechanic... or other blue collar type jobs.

if you haven't worked, and your skills were white collar... they are probably past expiration by now from lack of use/updating

you could try accounting ask nep how he likes it, seems popular at the moment

Old 09-12-2015, 08:28 PM

12,111 posts, read 23,318,667 times
What kind of jobs are you applying for? You could try someplace like Goodwill. I also suggest you do volunteer work. That will get you recent work experience and references.

Old 09-12-2015, 08:43 PM

2 posts, read 2,483 times
Retail jobs, mostly... I tried applying to the post office but they won't consider me without any recent job history.

Old 09-12-2015, 11:27 PM

3,222 posts, read 4,575,968 times
Well, what HAVE you been doing for those years?

You could always build a resume composed of a skillset gleaned from life experience, schooling, earlier jobs, coursework.

Put your objective as ''Looking for an entry level position in the field of...''.

Have you considered an internship or apprenticeship?

Old 09-13-2015, 07:50 AM

291 posts, read 391,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FeelinLow View Post
Well, what HAVE you been doing for those years?

You could always build a resume composed of a skillset gleaned from life experience, schooling, earlier jobs, coursework.

Put your objective as ''Looking for an entry level position in the field of...''.

Have you considered an internship or apprenticeship?
I'm afraid he is correct. You are going to have to face this question in every job search effort and interview, so you might as well build a plan for addressing it with your anonymous online buddies.

Old 09-14-2015, 11:20 AM

676 posts, read 727,202 times
try a temp agency maybe, there are around a million of them so you will probably find somthing.

Old 09-15-2015, 10:17 AM

2,702 posts, read 2,769,707 times
Oh wow. I would try temp agencies and volunteer work.

Old 09-16-2015, 08:36 PM

233 posts, read 231,129 times
Dear OP:

Have I heard of a success story from people in similar situation? no, not yet, but YOU will be the first one.

You need to make a 180-degree turn in the way in view this situation. Instead of looking for a job (or worse begging to be hired), start offering something of value, to the people around you, to the community around you. Someone suggested volunteering, great idea, I assume physically your are able. And based on the fact that your are on this forum, intellectually not lacking either.

Build on the best attributes you've got, your good people's skill. Work on some tangible hard skills, technical skills, niche knowledge, whatever. There must be something you are good at, or at least interest in. Find your niche, find your edge. Start networking, work on build a support around you. In your mid 30's, now is when you start to make it happen. I can assure you that in one or two years, you will be an emerging success story.

Old 09-17-2015, 02:12 PM

3,573 posts, read 2,889,815 times
"and I'm willing to do almost anything..."
Willing to do almost anything means very little to an employer. What you are capable of doing is a better question to ask yourself.
If you have a strong back and the stamina for labor work I'd suggest Temp agencies.

Customer facing retail would be difficult to break into because they'll be plenty of experienced applicants and likely younger and more attractive.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search