Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-24-2015, 08:13 PM

1,858 posts, read 3,102,653 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by eyeb View Post
So... one job, and hundreds apply? You know only one person will be hired right...?
You misread, it's "hundreds and hundreds" of applicants - all highly qualified.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2015, 04:46 AM

10,075 posts, read 7,534,604 times
and still only one position...

Old 09-25-2015, 06:08 AM

2,563 posts, read 3,680,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eyeb View Post
and still only one position...
Jobs open up all the time. People die. People retire. People are promoted. And sometimes, there really is a job and sometimes the selecting official doesn't have a clue who he wants to hire. So yes, people can find federal job, but it takes persistence and maybe a little bit of luck.

Old 09-25-2015, 06:16 AM

229 posts, read 382,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John7777 View Post
One other thing people should realize: sometimes when a job is announced, the selecting official already knows who he is going to hire. No one else on the list has a chance. In other words, the job has been pre-selected. That happens a lot, I'm afraid.

So if you don't get a job but you know you were well qualified, don't worry about it too much. There's nothing you can do.
Yeah they did this for me where I work. They knew they were going to hire me for the promotion but they still had to post the job for legal reasons.

Old 09-25-2015, 11:07 AM

1,858 posts, read 3,102,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John7777 View Post
I don't "tell myself" anything. I've seen it happen many times, from the inside. A job is announced. Hundreds and hundreds of well-qualified people apply. And yet the person hired is the person who was going to be hired all along. The friend of the selecting official. Or perhaps, the person who used to work there and wants to come back. In any event, I'm sure most people know what they're qualified for and what they're not qualified for.
And, this is unique to the Federal Sector? Welcome to real life! Just because you're qualified does not mean you will get ANY job.

Old 09-25-2015, 03:45 PM

2,563 posts, read 3,680,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmills View Post
And, this is unique to the Federal Sector? Welcome to real life! Just because you're qualified does not mean you will get ANY job.
That's just the point. It's the real world. I guess I was just trying to tell people to keep a positive attitude and to keep trying.

Old 09-26-2015, 06:23 PM

455 posts, read 1,397,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pittsflyer View Post
I wonder if its easier to get a state or muni job?
I found it easier to get a federal position (GS11) than a state or muni one. I guess it depends on your field and location since it appears other folks had a easier time getting a state or muni position. I was in Afghanistan when I got hired for my position in Texas but my entire job history is DOD based so I guess that had a lot to do with it.

Old 09-26-2015, 07:01 PM

236 posts, read 251,143 times
Quote:
So I am not sure if this is quite the right place for this question but does anyone know how much weight vet preference has in regards to federal jobs. I recently applied for a federal DOT job and did not even so much as get an interview and I have alot of qualifications and 10 years experience that is almost directly applicable to the position.

My good friend is an active duty navy vet and works for the federal govt now and says that he has seen really qualified people passed up becasue they did not have the vet preference. I had always thought the vet preference was like a tie breaker but it sounds like it gives overwhelming leverage?

So if you are a non vet is the only thing you have a prayer at getting is a PhD position at los alamos or a full blown medical doctor?

Does USA Jobs take applications from non vets just as a formality to give the appearance of equal opprotunity?
Veterans preference in hiring is federal policy -- and it is just that. Preference in hiring. In essence, the extent that this impacts on your job prospects depends on the type of position, and the circumstances of the job. Some positions have more competition, including from vets, and the large pool of qualified candidates makes it unlikely that yours will rise to the top. In my experience, the hiring manager doesn't even see the full list of qualified candidates, but merely a percentage of them. Qualified vets go to the top of the list and have to be hired, or they have to turn down the job in order to hire someone qualified who is not a vet. Sometimes they will even circulate the vet's resume to other managers with open positions hoping to be able to hire lower on the list. This is my experience - I assume the rules are the same everywhere in the federal govt, but I'm not entirely sure.

My husband is a combat vet and deserves every benefit he receives -- including veterans preference. But sometimes unqualified vets block lists, and the hiring managers end up not filling the position. Then they have to wait a while, re-work the posting, and re-post at a later date, hoping to get a different candidate pool. I've seen this. Not the vets fault typically, and sometimes those reviewing resumes don't understand the job or job requirements, and assume someone's experience is a match when it is not. This happens whether the candidate is a vet or not.

The suggestions made by others here are good -- using the correct keywords from the posting but staying away from jargon, giving yourself full credit for everything you did, going for a lower grade position (your chances will be higher) and working your way up, etc. Nothing more to say that hasn't already been said -- Good luck to you...

Old 09-26-2015, 10:32 PM

1,384 posts, read 1,056,326 times
I'm not sure what the big deal is about federal/state jobs. The benefits are mostly crap now (including the pension).

Old 09-27-2015, 01:10 AM

7,629 posts, read 16,447,523 times
Quote:
So I am not sure if this is quite the right place for this question but does anyone know how much weight vet preference has in regards to federal jobs. I recently applied for a federal DOT job and did not even so much as get an interview and I have alot of qualifications and 10 years experience that is almost directly applicable to the position.

My good friend is an active duty navy vet and works for the federal govt now and says that he has seen really qualified people passed up becasue they did not have the vet preference. I had always thought the vet preference was like a tie breaker but it sounds like it gives overwhelming leverage?

So if you are a non vet is the only thing you have a prayer at getting is a PhD position at los alamos or a full blown medical doctor?

Does USA Jobs take applications from non vets just as a formality to give the appearance of equal opprotunity?
To answer some of your questions, Vet points are 5 and 10 point preferences on applications (depending on disabled or not).

There are jobs on USAJOBS that are open to both internal and external applicants. ENSURE if you are applying for one and you are not currently civil service, that is OPEN to external applications!!! Should you apply for one that you that is internal only, they will not even consider you.

USAJOBS works, but you need to ensure that everything required of you is submitted at the time you apply, or they will not even consider you. If proof of something (ie, official transcripts) are stated as required and you do not include them, you won't be contacted and asked for them. Take each question, requirement step by step to ensure you covered everything.

Since Civil Service positions are KSA (Knowledge/Skill Assessed), it is always good to find a professional resume writer in your area to help you "customize" your resume to ensure your experience is DIRECTLY targeted to the requirements. Just like a lot of "military" resumes do not correlate to civilian sector positions, the reverse is also true. You might HAVE the experience, but unless you can word it so that it comes across in the KSA requirements (it is point based), then you might not be considered for a position you are in fact totally qualified for. Then, of course, there is the final, too many qualified applicants and they only take the top so many to forward for consideration.

It can be frustrating, but well worth the effort. While never having been military myself, retired from civil service and enjoyed my 30 yrs serving alongside those in uniform.

Hope this helps a little! Good luck!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search