Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-17-2015, 12:26 AM

7,654 posts, read 5,114,492 times

Advertisements

So does anyone know how substantial the veterans preference is on USA jobs. It almost seems like if you cant check the vet pref box and get the vet points its almost futile to apply for fed jobs? Is this true or is it just a tie breaker for 2 people who are equally qualified?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2015, 04:40 AM

10,075 posts, read 7,540,508 times
it's a 5 point bonus, maybe 10? mostly a tie breaker but if there is a non-vet applying, most of the time there would be a vet as well and it's likely that qualifications would be fairly equal if both are applying for same job

Old 09-17-2015, 05:31 AM

2,563 posts, read 3,682,890 times
It really does depend on the job and who else is applying. Perhaps no vet at all will apply, but you have no way of knowing that. Or, maybe some vets apply but they really aren't all that qualified, and even if they get their extra points, you'd still be at the top of the list.

My advice: don't worry about it too much and keep applying.

Old 09-17-2015, 06:43 AM

1,858 posts, read 3,103,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eyeb View Post
it's a 5 point bonus, maybe 10? mostly a tie breaker but if there is a non-vet applying, most of the time there would be a vet as well and it's likely that qualifications would be fairly equal if both are applying for same job
It's more significant than that. If a vet makes the best qualified list, he/she MUST be considered before non-vets are even referred. It makes it difficult. Not impossible, but difficult. I agree that people should still apply though.

Old 09-17-2015, 06:44 AM

Location: IN>Germany>ND>OH>TX>CA>Currently NoVa and a Vacation Lake House in PA
3,259 posts, read 4,331,793 times
It will help you out in certain situations, but I have seen hiring managers work around it. It can take a long time to get a government job regardless. My advice to you is to keep an open mind and be willing to move if possible. I don't know where you live or what your job qualifications are, but you'll have better luck the broader your stroke when it comes to finding a federal position. Also, not all agencies use USAJobs exclusively. The US Courts have direct hire authority and generally only post positions in the DC area on USAJobs, so you have to be willing to look at their website for most positions:

Search Judiciary Jobs | United States Courts

Public Federal Defenders are the same way:

View Vacancies | fd.org: DSO Training Division

Also, don't rule out working as a contractor at first, because it can sometimes be the best way to get your foot in the door. Good luck, and feel free to PM me if you want specific information. I'm always willing to help a fellow veteran get a civil service position.

Old 09-17-2015, 10:28 AM

191 posts, read 213,503 times
I am retired now, but I worked for 30+ years in the "Indian Service" (the Bureau of Indian Affairs and Indian Health Service), and Indian Preference trumped Veterans Preference every single time.

If we advertised a job and the response included qualified Indian applicants, we would not see any non-Indians on our "potential employee" list, but we WOULD see Veterans and non-Veterans. If we selected a "non-vet" over a vet, we had to justify the selection which was fairly difficult, so it didn't happen often, but at least we got to SEE the "eligible list".

Old 09-17-2015, 06:11 PM

10,075 posts, read 7,540,508 times
and indian jobs are on reservations too.... kind of a different country, its like applying to a foreign job without a work visa

not that extreme, but that is indian preference imo, you cant even live where you like but are assigned housing areas when working, living there (or they did when i was on contract), my start with working with fed was through ihs

vet preference is a points bonus as well as already a former fed employee. not much different than a person applying with a masters vs ba or a phd to masters. just a point difference.

Old 09-17-2015, 07:52 PM

1,858 posts, read 3,103,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert20170 View Post
It will help you out in certain situations, but I have seen hiring managers work around it. It can take a long time to get a government job regardless. My advice to you is to keep an open mind and be willing to move if possible. I don't know where you live or what your job qualifications are, but you'll have better luck the broader your stroke when it comes to finding a federal position. Also, not all agencies use USAJobs exclusively. The US Courts have direct hire authority and generally only post positions in the DC area on USAJobs, so you have to be willing to look at their website for most positions:

Search Judiciary Jobs | United States Courts

Public Federal Defenders are the same way:

View Vacancies | fd.org: DSO Training Division

Also, don't rule out working as a contractor at first, because it can sometimes be the best way to get your foot in the door. Good luck, and feel free to PM me if you want specific information. I'm always willing to help a fellow veteran get a civil service position.
It is advisable to get ANY Federal job. Get your foot in the door, the. You can apply for jobs that otherwise might be fled to you - and veteran's pref won't apply.

Old 09-17-2015, 08:50 PM

191 posts, read 213,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eyeb View Post
and indian jobs are on reservations too.... kind of a different country, its like applying to a foreign job without a work visa

not that extreme, but that is indian preference imo, you cant even live where you like but are assigned housing areas when working, living there (or they did when i was on contract), my start with working with fed was through ihs

vet preference is a points bonus as well as already a former fed employee. not much different than a person applying with a masters vs ba or a phd to masters. just a point difference.
This is not always true (although it is sometimes). For instance, Oklahoma has no reservations, but has a robust Indian community.

There are twelve BIA Regional Offices. They include Portland OR, Phoenix AZ, Juneau, AK, Minneapolis MN, and Nashville TN, but also Muskogee OK, Anadarko, OK, Sisseton SD, Billings MT, and Sacramento CA. Kind of a mixed bag. Individual Agency locations include Crow Agency, MT (yes that is the name of the town, and yes the Crow Agency is BIG), but also Palm Springs CA, so you can't just lump it into a "one size fits all).

No one at my Agency was assigned housing, but in the more remote areas that can still be true. Not so much a case of "Big Brother" deciding how you live, and a little more "it's the only game it town".

And Indian Preference is a real big deal. Back in the 1980's when I started, I had no Indian Preference (still don't) but I did have a degree in Petroleum Engineering which was wanted, Before they could even offer me the job, they had to find out how many Indians held that degree (answer at the time: seven in the world), and they asked each of them if they would take the job. Was it overkill? Probably, but when they finally DID make the offer, management had proof positive they had complied.

)

Old 09-18-2015, 06:28 AM

Location: IN>Germany>ND>OH>TX>CA>Currently NoVa and a Vacation Lake House in PA
3,259 posts, read 4,331,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmills View Post
It is advisable to get ANY Federal job. Get your foot in the door, the. You can apply for jobs that otherwise might be fled to you - and veteran's pref won't apply.
Most civil service jobs are open to "Status Candidates" which normally includes veterans and current or prior civil servants, so the answer would be an absolute yes. If you can get into the system, then you are eligible to apply to those "Status" only positions. Veterans could still have an advantage, but if you were applying for something within your current agency it would likely not come into play. Agencies post positions often that only "Status Candidates" from the current agency and/or commuting area can apply to narrow the field.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search