Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-19-2015, 08:24 PM

551 posts, read 582,903 times

Advertisements

So a week ago Fri. I had an interview for a HUGE opportunity. It would be life-changing, in short. So far every stage in the process has proceeded smoothly. The interview went excellent, I wouldn't change one response and the interviewers appeared impressed and were very friendly and displayed open, positive body language. I aced the skills test as well.

SO...here I wait. I figure it might be awhile, since it's for a government job. But I am just positively on edge waiting to hear back...if I even do. I know that there are no guarantees. There could be better candidates. The thing is, the traditional advice of "keep applying" doesn't apply because I am not actively seeking other employment. This position was the exception, since it is in my exact interest area,perfectly fits my experience and education and is well-compensated.

My question is: A) Should I follow up at some point in the next week or two?, B) If so, what day? It was suggested mid-week (so next Wed or so) by one associate and wait until the following Monday (a week from this coming one) if I don't hear by next Friday by someone else. My thought, was not to follow up at all (I already sent a Thank you follow up the same day). Bearing in mind, this is a (local) government position, so the timeframe may be longer. I did ask in the interview, and was told, as soon as they could get someone on, depending on HR end. No concrete date (not that I really expected one, but I had to try). Any thoughts? I need to funnel my anxiety towards some fresh perspectives

Last edited by nostoneunturned; 09-19-2015 at 08:26 PM.. Reason: Clarification
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2015, 09:04 PM

291 posts, read 390,778 times
I feel your pain!

Honestly, I don't know if I am making a mistake, but I never make a follow-up call. My rationale is this: if there is still a chance I am up for the job, I may make myself look like a pain in the rear. If I am not in the running, I put them in an uncomfortable situation which could impact me later if the same job opens up again or even a different but good opportunity is announced by the same company.

I would love to hears some feedback from our HR types.

Old 09-19-2015, 09:31 PM

5,900 posts, read 3,900,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzliteyear View Post
If I am not in the running, I put them in an uncomfortable situation which could impact me later if the same job opens up again or even a different but good opportunity is announced by the same company.
Well they're supposed to have good organizational skills, the ability to handle multiple tasks at once, and be very personable. Unless they specifically instruct candidates to not contact them, receiving potential inconvenient e-mails/phone calls are to be expected.

Old 09-19-2015, 11:07 PM

12 posts, read 18,058 times
I am also waiting to hear back. I would love the job but it has been 1.5 weeks since my interview so it's not looking good for me and I am not expecting it.

I plan to send an email about my status on Wednesday or Thursday next week. After that, I have to move on.

Old 09-20-2015, 04:28 AM

549 posts, read 625,639 times
Were your references contacted?

Old 09-20-2015, 05:29 AM

3,118 posts, read 5,356,588 times
I think they would expect that you would contact them after more than a week if you are interested.

Old 09-20-2015, 06:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeyCNY View Post
Were your references contacted?
I don't know, they are all previous supervisors since that is all that was asked for. All of whom would have nothing but good things to say.. *with the caveat, you can never 100% know, but they had all previously offered to be references.*

Old 09-20-2015, 06:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by seekingnewjob View Post
I am also waiting to hear back. I would love the job but it has been 1.5 weeks since my interview so it's not looking good for me and I am not expecting it.

I plan to send an email about my status on Wednesday or Thursday next week. After that, I have to move on.
Good luck to you...you never know what may happen maybe we will both have good news this week!

Old 09-20-2015, 06:41 AM

Also I see the position has been reposted this weekend. But: I know there is at least one other opening, so I won't get too down about it. I pray I hear something this week!! Either way...just not to be in limbo.

Old 09-20-2015, 06:42 AM

549 posts, read 625,639 times
Usually if they are serious about a candidate, they will formally ask your permission to contact your references. Usually the day of the interview, or shortly afterwards. Even if you already listed them on your USAJOBS resume.

I hope you sent a thank-you email to the hiring manager after your interview, briefly highlighting your qualifications and reiterating your interest in the position, especially if this job requires any sort of customer service or written communication skills.

If they haven't asked/confirmed your references yet--and it's been more than a week--I'm thinking they have many more candidates to interview...or they interviewed many candidates and decided nobody fit the bill.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search