U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-22-2015, 01:33 PM

6 posts, read 10,573 times

Advertisements

Over the past month and a half, my job search has gone a bit interesting. Having recently graduated with my Bachelor's degree, I have decided to move on from a good job to one that is more in my field. After putting in several applications on a Sunday in July, I got a call the very next day about setting up possible interviews. A week after that, I was called to set up an interview, and two weeks after that, my first interview was scheduled.

During what I have thought to be my "good interview," I met with three different people. One person was a Placement Coordinator and the other two were a hiring a manager and one of the people that already worked there. The very first interview with the placement coordinator went well. He seemed to really like what I had to say. The hiring manager and current employee didn't show as much enthusiasm, but I thought that was maybe their personality. I answered all their questions calmly, and no one mentioned anything about me appearing to be nervous. Some of my answers were maybe not as strong as they could have been, but I can't imagine I'm the only one to have not given the strongest answer to every question during the interview. However, at the same time, I noticed that they did not appear to be very into the interview. The hiring manager in particular sat with her back facing me, and even answered the door when someone came to ask her a question. At the same time, it was a phone call about something very important, even urgent, so I did not think much of it. These interviewers also did not ask me a lot of questions or for me to expand upon my answers, and they seemed to be rushed when I had a set of questions for them. When I asked them when I could expect to hear an answer from them, they said HR would be contacting me on Wednesday or Thursday (I interviewed on a Monday). Several weeks went by, with no answer. However, I managed to learn that they had scheduled interviews with other people during those weeks. Two of those candidates showed up on the department's website even though they had been interviewed much later than me. A few days after I made that observation, I got an email saying that they had chosen to go along with another candidate. Recently, I have also observed that they have reposted the same job several times. For me, it's confusing, because I thought I presented myself well in the interview. Their response was not ideal, but I felt my performance was better. I will admit that when I asked if they would like to review my references, they said "possibly," and took them with what now seems to be reluctance. Needless to say, it is obvious they decided that I was not someone they were interested in hiring. That's what it has to mean, right? It doesn't make sense that they would have a job position open for three months and not hire those who have already interviewed since they are obviously looking for more than one person, but is it common for managers to hold off on hiring for long periods of time if they are not certain about those who they have already interviewed?

Now, during my "bad interview," or the one that I actually got the job offer from, the people interviewing me seemed to be more interested. However, I did receive the comment from one of them that I appeared to be nervous, which I see as not being a good sign. I also experienced a "loss of words," a couple of times (in that, there was a particular word that I was looking for, but could not come up with). At the same time, they were very detailed in their questions they were asking and kept probing me. Still, we all acknowledged that interviews are not my strongest point, and I walked out of there feeling hopeless. Two days after that, though, my current supervisor let me know that one of the people who had interviewed me had contacted her for a reference. Three days later, I was offered the position.

Ever since then, I have been very confused. I cannot logically come up with a reason why I was hired for a job when my performance was worse than it was during an interview I was rejected from.
Has anyone else ever had a similar experience, in getting rejected after performing well or in getting hired after performing poorly?
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2015, 01:43 PM

550 posts, read 557,680 times
Being nervous and "at a loss for words" are not deal-breakers during job interviews.

In all actuality, the purpose of the job interview is to make sure you aren't a weirdo or a prick. And probing questions are an effective way to determine that.

Old 09-22-2015, 01:54 PM

3,327 posts, read 2,692,869 times
What you think is a good interview doesn't mean you will land the job. Sometime employer has a candidate in mind already, so even if you did well on the interview, is unlikely for you to land the job. When you think you did bad on the interview, maybe the employer just want someone to take the job, and the hiring manager just simply want to get over with the hiring process. So, a lot of factors come into play. I know exactly what you mean because I been there in the past.

Old 09-22-2015, 02:26 PM

10,591 posts, read 18,959,658 times
Just because you think you did well, does not mean others thought you did well. Doing well does not mean that someone else didn't do better. Being nervous doesn't mean that you don't have potential.

Old 09-22-2015, 04:39 PM

4,676 posts, read 4,347,880 times
Yeah, don't try to analyze it. Just be happy you got a job.

Old 09-23-2015, 08:33 AM

3,836 posts, read 3,423,579 times
OP: What is the reason for your analysis? Your assessment of your interview performance means nothing in terms of the hiring process and decision.

Old 09-23-2015, 01:25 PM

6 posts, read 10,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CapsChick View Post
OP: What is the reason for your analysis? Your assessment of your interview performance means nothing in terms of the hiring process and decision.
I was mostly basing my analysis of my own interpretation of my performance. I thought the first interview went better because no one mentioned that I was nervous and that I did not seem to freeze up, which they did in the second interview. Apparently, either the first interviewers did not view my interview as being good, or the second set of interviewers were able to see past the imperfections, or I simply do not know what any of these interviewers were looking for.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search