Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-26-2015, 06:10 PM

84 posts, read 108,127 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
Spoken like someone who failed an assessment test. They may be waste of time for you, but for those that do well, and for the hiring company, they are a great way to tell whether the applicant really knows what they say they do in the interview. I don't use them often, because our HR doesn't like to. I have, however, on more technical jobs and find that many of the applicants don't have a clue on how to do a simple 15 minute work sample project, despite the claims made on their resume and in their interview.

You want a job, the employer has one available. You have to play their game to get in. No, you can't cheat, you have to apply for jobs you are qualified for.
What does the ability to do a simple work sample project have to do with a person's personality? There were plenty of curmudgeonly, crabby people working in the 1950's-1960's who could do the job well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2015, 06:13 PM

84 posts, read 108,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by April R View Post
You may want to study grammar and proper sentence structure. I am certain an assessment will screen for that, as it rightly should.
Years ago, yes. Today, I know people with terrible spelling and grammar who hold three jobs.

Old 09-26-2015, 07:35 PM

147 posts, read 316,200 times
I'm not a fan of personality tests but if you want the job, you have to jump through the employers hoops. That's just how it is. And those tests most likely aren't going away.

As for assessments that actually test for skills which are required in order to perform satisfactorily on the job-I have no issue with those. And no-you can't really cheat at any of them other than having someone else take the test for you if you take the assessments online and not at the employers work site. But cheating won't help when they soon find out that you don't have the skills needed to do the job or the job turns out to be a poor fit. Then you're right back where you started and most likey unemployed.

I would say that most assessments, especially ones with personality questions, are looking for consistency. Answer the questions honestly and don't spend a bunch of time answering the questions how you think the employer wants you to answer.

Old 09-26-2015, 09:15 PM

1,273 posts, read 991,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dolly3 View Post
Years ago, yes. Today, I know people with terrible spelling and grammar who hold three jobs.
Hence the necessity of assessment tests for jobs, especially those that require written and spoken communication. It is really frustrating and embarassing when people you work with produce documents with so many errors you wonder how they tie their shoes in the morning.

Old 09-27-2015, 08:29 AM

113 posts, read 223,553 times
As someone who has done hiring in a retail environment, these tests are a huge help. In that world, personality is pretty important - we have to know that the people we're hiring will work well with (and sell to) the general public, that they can follow directions, that they have some sense of ethics, etc. These tests help screen that. Sure, intelligent people will know the "right" answers to the questions. But when you have 50 applicants for a single position, anything that helps accurately narrow the field is a lifesaver.

Old 09-27-2015, 08:56 AM

5,472 posts, read 3,224,649 times
I did one of those, I was told it was specially designed only for Senior Level Executives, it was put together by Harvard Business School, it really covered things I'd been doing for 20 yrs and some of it was basic common practice in the work process of doing good work, providing good service and understanding the basic nature of the work environment and the product and services being offered.

Over 7 yrs I had direct comm with the CEO and often he referred my ideas to Exec. VP's of various divisions and regions.

Assessing people may have much to do with who and how the assessment is interpreted as well as "what are you actually looking for".

Old 09-27-2015, 09:41 AM

12,847 posts, read 9,050,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSchemist80 View Post
HR is just the worst example of junk science in the world today.
Associated HR to junk science is an insult -- to junk science.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zelavie View Post
. But when you have 50 applicants for a single position, anything that helps accurately narrow the field is a lifesaver.
How do you know they are even remotely accurate? Very few have solid backing and most are sold by consultants pushing their product. Emphasis on CON.

Old 09-27-2015, 09:43 AM

2,702 posts, read 2,765,228 times
Eh, depends on the types you run into.

Old 09-27-2015, 10:26 AM

5,511 posts, read 4,475,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TNT9384 View Post
its just yet another stupid annoying barrier to break thru
Whats the point of these assessment I feel like its a waste of time?
Is there a way to cheat thru or prepare for these test?
its just a damn job
I think job assessments should be BANNED in the USA
And what do you think of Job Assessments test?
How common are they?
If you don't know something you can usually get up to speed are companies that retarded?
Think of them as personality interviews in written form. Much like an in-person interview, being too honest there can be harmful. Obviously, don't say you're the type of person who comes in to work 30 minutes late, or how you should stick by your coworkers even though they're doing something wrong. They want to hear what they want to hear basically.

Old 09-27-2015, 10:42 AM

6,509 posts, read 8,453,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TNT9384 View Post
its just yet another stupid annoying barrier to break thru
Whats the point of these assessment I feel like its a waste of time?
Is there a way to cheat thru or prepare for these test?
its just a damn job
I think job assessments should be BANNED in the USA
And what do you think of Job Assessments test?
How common are they?
If you don't know something you can usually get up to speed are companies that retarded?
Maybe your personality does not fit in well with the culture at the company? That is really what it is all about. And (the fact that you aren't passing these tests) suggests that you should do your homework on the companies that you are applying to, because it sounds like you are applying to jobs you like, or that you think that you may be able to do or get hired for, instead of the companies that are most likely to vibe with your temperament.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search