Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-28-2015, 01:01 PM

1,733 posts, read 947,823 times

Advertisements

I am a woman in my 50's who will be graduating with a second Masters in December. My degrees are :BS in Applied Sociology/Minor in Forensic Psychology, MA in Sociology/Minor in Criminal Justice, and a Masters Certification in Forensic Psychology.
My goal is to be a jury consultant and/or investigator, or a job that utilizes my life experiences combined with my education, however I have received rejection letter after rejection letter, and I'm getting discouraged. In my past life, I worked in blue-collar male-dominated occupations, the most recent I was a Locomotive Engineer for a large railroad.

Can anyone tell me how I can break through the age barrier and land a job? And can someone explain why state applications ask if the applicant is over 40? TIA for any advice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2015, 01:13 PM

35,057 posts, read 31,258,424 times
The age question should be illegal.

Something like forensic psychology isn't the best though. Are you in a major metro with a healthy job market otherwise?

Old 09-28-2015, 01:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
The age question should be illegal.

Something like forensic psychology isn't the best though. Are you in a major metro with a healthy job market otherwise?

Yes, we live between two large cities in Texas. Re age question: I agree, but how can I challenge it?

Old 09-28-2015, 01:32 PM

41,938 posts, read 36,935,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arabianhorsebreeder View Post

Can anyone tell me how I can break through the age barrier and land a job? And can someone explain why state applications ask if the applicant is over 40? TIA for any advice.

People over 40 are protected by ADEA.

Anybody can ask for the age or birthdate. Legally they can't discriminate on it.

Old 09-28-2015, 01:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
People over 40 are protected by ADEA.

Anybody can ask for the age or birthdate. Legally they can't discriminate on it.
Thanks for clarifying the age issue.

Old 09-28-2015, 01:50 PM

298 posts, read 270,776 times
This lady has a legitimate issue.

But they obviously DO discriminate on age. You can write anything and make it law. Those that want to avoid it find ways to do it. Try proving they're discriminating. They know nobody will.

How can you challenge it? I don't know. Leave off college graduation dates on resume and only list 10 yrs of work experience, that's what all the "experts" advise. But on the application itself and on the interviews? I don't know what the answer is.

Old 09-28-2015, 02:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erauso1592 View Post

But they obviously DO discriminate on age. You can write anything and make it law. Those that want to avoid it find ways to do it. Try proving they're discriminating. They know nobody will.

How can you challenge it? I don't know. Leave off college graduation dates on resume and only list 10 yrs of work experience, that's what all the "experts" advise. But on the application itself and on the interviews? I don't know what the answer is.

I feel the same about age discrimination. It's so obvious but how do I fight it? I have no interest in retiring, have no children, and my husband supports my wish to work as long as I want. Additionally, I am a realist and understand that I will not receive top pay when I don't have hands on experience in my new career choice. I just want an opportunity to get my foot in the door.

Old 09-28-2015, 03:04 PM

298 posts, read 270,776 times
I would try gov't type jobs like city, country, state, fed. They have quotas they have to follow so maybe the age thing would not bother them. Private employers, I don't know, they seem to be getting away with anything and everything under the sun. Social work I think you have to be licensed in your state to practice. Jury consultants are probably independent contractors I would think. Try court system where you live, that's a gov't job. You can try applying to certain law firms - if you can tolerate working for lawyers.(lol) But like I said, don't put 15-20 years worth of job experience. That's how they figure out your age. Just put 10 yrs.

Old 09-28-2015, 03:07 PM

35,057 posts, read 31,258,424 times
I know a guy about your age in the railroad industry. He makes good money and has excellent benefits.

Why are you trying to go into something that is so saturated?

Old 09-28-2015, 03:15 PM

5,896 posts, read 3,895,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Erauso1592 View Post

Yea, employment is so strange these days. There is a line of thinking, including many posters on here who do hiring, who say that young people expect too much, can't work, and have no skills. And then these same people who trash the young don't want to hire anyone in their own age bracket because they're too qualified and thus they have to pay them too much money.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search