Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-01-2015, 07:19 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,420,711 times

Advertisements

Openly hostile and mocking interview
followed by a rejection letter in 2 weeks
followed by a report for work notice in 30 days
followed by 8 years of employment
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2015, 07:24 PM

22,178 posts, read 19,221,727 times
during an interview at a prestigious law firm i was told that part of the job included being yelled at regularly by one of the partners, who used profanity and was verbally abusive to all staff and did I have a problem with that. I told them I appreciated their honesty, but withdrew my application

Old 10-01-2015, 07:31 PM

2,407 posts, read 3,189,508 times
We interviewed a guy for a technical position. During the interview he mentions he had written a book. We were quite impressed and asked what it was about thinking it was some engineering or programming topic. He responds that it was a self published book about his depression.

Like one of the previous posts another candidate had the tags on the sleeves of his suit jacket.

I has one guy show up to a company that was still business formal looking like he just came back from the beach. He was very talented, technically, but the outfit was a job killer.

Last one was when I had my own company. A candidate came in for a technical job. I happened to be out of my office so I introduced myself and spoke to him for a few minutes. The tech manager comes to get him and as they were walking back to his office, the candidate says, "you have a nice secretary", and the tech manager tells him that wasn't the secretary that was the owner of the company. The tech manager did not recommend hiring him- but not for that reason.

Old 10-01-2015, 08:24 PM

22,178 posts, read 19,221,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by macrodome2 View Post
the candidate says, "you have a nice secretary", and the tech manager tells him that wasn't the secretary that was the owner of the company.
i did that once it was so embarrassing
i showed up for my first day of work at an editorial position for a university, and since I was very early I was walking around the building until it was time for me to meet my boss. Hardly anyone else was there, just me and a little old lady in raggedy clothes who I figured was the janitor. She walked around with me for a bit, then showed me to the office. Later I found out she was one of the senior deans for the university.

Old 10-01-2015, 08:35 PM

2,578 posts, read 2,070,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by macrodome2 View Post
Did you get the job?
No, they told me they opted to not fill the position. About six months later, the Person this position would report to called to tell me they were "reposting" the job and asked if I would apply. I didn't.

Old 10-01-2015, 09:20 PM

3,974 posts, read 4,259,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scratch33 View Post
I once had an unsuccessful candidate, a 45-year old guy, curl up into a fetal position in his chair and refuse to leave my office after I told him he wasn't getting the job. Had to call security to come get him.
That is surreal!

Old 10-01-2015, 09:35 PM

1,040 posts, read 1,292,312 times
Oooh! I just remembered another one.

I was hiring and was given a stack of applications. One applicant claimed to have been the manager at another company a few years prior.

I was the only manager at that company during the years she said she was, and I'd never even heard of her.

The company was closed. I wondered if she was hiding a gap & knew her claim couldn't be verified. Or so she thought.

Old 10-01-2015, 09:41 PM

1,040 posts, read 1,292,312 times
I have a zillion stories because, if you interview enough people, you will have lots of 'interesting experiences'.

I used to work with this woman who could hear fine. One day after I got hired at a new place, a sign language interpreter comes by with this woman as a new hire. I very sincerely asked why the interpreter was there.

My supervisor was embarrassed by my question and said, "Because she's deaf." I said, "No she's not." Dead silence. Until that moment, I honestly did not get it that she was scamming.

My supervisor followed up with me, saying this woman claimed to be deaf from birth. She got fired from both the job and the disability program she was scamming.

Old 10-01-2015, 11:16 PM

3,222 posts, read 4,570,318 times
Another one-I turned into a drive that went up into a lovely wooded, park-like area and came around a curve into a parking lot where a huge brick complex sat, surrounded by razor wire!
This interview was at a prison, which shocked me!
As I circled around to the main entrance I saw a HUGE sign out front, ''No cell phones allowed!''
Like I was going to go into a place like THAT without a way to call for help? NO WAY!
I just kept on driving and headed back home on a 20 mile route. I figured I'd call later with some fabricated excuse to the HR lady about getting lost or a flat tire or something.
I just was not going to work in a prison!
Don't you know she called me 3 or 4 times on the ride home and I let it go to voice mail. Later I called and left a voice mail citing car trouble and that I'd gotten another job.
Not the best way to handle it, but those were emotional times in my life and I just could not deal with it any other way. it really upset me for some reason. This was about 6 years ago.

Interestingly, I did a flower delivery to this facility this past spring while doing some contract work. I had to actually enter the building, which was freaky. Anyway, did it and noticed that that sign was gone re the cell phones.
Place still gave me the ''willies''.

Old 10-02-2015, 06:33 AM

14,784 posts, read 24,086,869 times
How about an interviewer cleaning his finger nails and depositing the garbage on a paper towel ? that was disgusting and I ended the interview right there and I got a very strange vibe from the whole place so I walked . It was ewwww and then a few months later I read in the paper that one of the employees chose to hang himself there stating the receptionist found him when entering the office . That would have been my job receptionist ..my gut saved me really .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search