Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-01-2015, 03:49 PM

5,896 posts, read 3,895,279 times

Advertisements

Most people stretch the truth in interviewing, its a part of "selling yourself." Now lying about past job titles, salaries, or education then yes, that will get exposed and is not recommended.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2015, 04:08 PM

10,326 posts, read 17,420,544 times
Most companies outright lie when selling their products. Have you ever listened to an infomercial. Most of the testimonials and expers are paid actors. Do you seriously believe the bold claims on the label.

I certainly didn't start out with this attitude but after being out there a few years in the private sector and going through the hiring process a few dozen times it became pretty clear that the only rules the companies respect are the law (sometimes if they feel they can't get away breaking it) and money. Why should I or any applicant/worker behave differently. They are out to bleep you over and pay you just enough so you don't quit so why shouldn't the workers bleep them back and do the minimum not to get fired especially since there is no reward for doing otherwise?

Old 10-01-2015, 04:29 PM

1,035 posts, read 1,396,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jma501 View Post
Great list. I agree with everything above. It's become a morass of complete incompetence, laziness, and greed, on the part of corporate criminal america. Imagine working as a professional for 16 years and even having a recommendation from your longest employer and you can't get back in. Then try to get anything else and because you were a professional you cannot possibly do anything else or since you were a manager you cannot possibly handle being a worker. It's to the point where I just want to slap the crap out of these idiots. Corporate scum ruins everything they touch.
well said jma501 Greed, greed, greed. You nailed it in your first post too, the incompetent hiring process. Especially when you apply for a job that you know you are qualified for and these motherf*ckers don't even call you for a lousy interview. I do believe there are times when a company already has someone for the job they are just advertising the position to look good or they are abided by law to do so. The companies are incompetent in the hiring process but don't you dare be an incompetent worker. The last time I was job seeking I called the boss/or dude that was hiring, spoke with him on the phone and he said he'd be in touch with me. After a week of nothing, I called him, got his voicemail so I left him a message. Another week goes by, nothing. So I call, I'm pretty sure he knew it was me because his phone rang twice then went to voicemail, so I got an attitude and left him a message about having some respect and courtesy to at least return my phone calls. At this point I didn't care if I p*ssed him off because I figured if he couldn't return previous calls he wasn't interested in even interviewing me. Yet, when I got off the phone after leaving the last message the ad was still posted

Old 10-01-2015, 04:33 PM

15,971 posts, read 9,380,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jma501 View Post
All that matters is whether or not you can do the job.
A lot more matters than that. People aren't robots.

Old 10-01-2015, 04:38 PM

15,971 posts, read 9,380,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by supertrucker212 View Post
well said jma501 Greed, greed, greed. You nailed it in your first post too, the incompetent hiring process. Especially when you apply for a job that you know you are qualified for and these motherf*ckers don't even call you for a lousy interview. I do believe there are times when a company already has someone for the job they are just advertising the position to look good or they are abided by law to do so. The companies are incompetent in the hiring process but don't you dare be an incompetent worker. The last time I was job seeking I called the boss/or dude that was hiring, spoke with him on the phone and he said he'd be in touch with me. After a week of nothing, I called him, got his voicemail so I left him a message. Another week goes by, nothing. So I call, I'm pretty sure he knew it was me because his phone rang twice then went to voicemail, so I got an attitude and left him a message about having some respect and courtesy to at least return my phone calls. At this point I didn't care if I p*ssed him off because I figured if he couldn't return previous calls he wasn't interested in even interviewing me. Yet, when I got off the phone after leaving the last message the ad was still posted
I just can't see what he could possibly not like about you.

Old 10-01-2015, 04:39 PM

1,135 posts, read 1,312,063 times
EVERYTHING is overdone. For EVERY job. You could be applying for a janitorial position and have to go through 2 rounds of interviewing. And jobs that pay 30-40k are worse. Almost two month process to tell you you didn't get the job. People do this to inflate their own self importance

Old 10-01-2015, 04:41 PM

1,135 posts, read 1,312,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoNative34 View Post
A lot more matters than that. People aren't robots.
That's should be what matters. But you have to be the right "fit" nowadays whatever that means.

Old 10-01-2015, 04:52 PM

3,633 posts, read 5,353,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSchemist80 View Post
-The HR psychobabble and attempts to psychoanalyze candidates
-The complete rudeness and bad behavior of hiring authorities and HR
-The horrible applicant tracking software
-The unbelievable shallowness in selecting candidates plus nepotism/cronyism
-The psychometric testing and other forms of quackery inflicted on job candidates by HR
-The greater involvement of HR (they should be relegated to scheduling interviews and doing paperwork)
-The fake jobs posted when they are not hiring or already know who they are hiring and post anyways and even interview wasting the time of hundreds of people as well as gas/travel
-The ridiculous job requirements posted that noone could ever meet
-Never posting a salary causing me to waste my time when the company won't come close to offering a market rate.

In short it is so dysfunctional and treats candidates with such a lack of consideration or ethics that I have no problem advising candidates to lie, fake, and do whatever it takes to deal with it and get the upper hand.
I'd say mostly the bolded statement above... mainly in terms of:
a) Knowing they can ask questions that are illegal to ask because a person who really needs the job will see no option but to answer;
b) Acting like they're above you and doing you a favor by even considering you.

To add: I've never known how to handle example A, so if anyone has input/advice, I'd appreciate it.
I'm currently not job-hunting, but it'd be good to know for future reference.

Old 10-01-2015, 04:53 PM

7,977 posts, read 4,983,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.2089 View Post
EVERYTHING is overdone. For EVERY job. You could be applying for a janitorial position and have to go through 2 rounds of interviewing. And jobs that pay 30-40k are worse. Almost two month process to tell you you didn't get the job. People do this to inflate their own self importance

That is ridiculous these days. These long marathon interviews for 30-40K. You would think you were applying for a job that requires mounds of security clearance

Old 10-01-2015, 05:05 PM

1,035 posts, read 1,396,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoNative34 View Post
I just can't see what he could possibly not like about you.
you're funny smart as$ I tell it like it is. If someone doesn't like it then that's their problem. Not enough people stand up and speak their mind, everyone is too worried about "offending" someone. I did NOT swear in any of the voicemails either if that's what you're implying. I treat others how they treat me. If you give me the run-around then I'm calling you out on it
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search