Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-02-2015, 07:20 PM

134 posts, read 103,158 times

Advertisements

Hm, great lists here. Mine would be

1.). Receiving a rejection notice minutes or hours after submitting. My gosh, at least play like someone looked at my resume and gave it "careful consideration"
2.). Being thanked for speaking with the recruiter about the position but they decided to move on with someone else...especially when I NEVER heard a peep from the company! Dummies! I always email back and say they must have an internal glitch in HR. At that point, I don't care.
3.). The lengthy process...job I really wanted took over 6 months! I was rejected for a "cheaper, internal" candidate
4.). Making a job seem more than what it is...my current employer. I feel I have dropped 10 rungs on the ladder and am doing work which wasn't even in the job description and not doing the work I applied to do. Same with "false" glowing corporate culture stories of flex hours, family environment, etc
5.). Online apps with a zillion passwords!
6.). Keeping salary ranges a big secret. Look, don't waste both of our times, okay?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2015, 07:41 PM

590 posts, read 714,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chaseo1 View Post
Corporate america in a nutshell: a bunch of average to below average idiots who think they know it all and send passive aggressive emails all day.

This is so true....When I was 18 I worked for Jiffy Lube. 6 months into the job I received a promotion to assistant manager. Now I was partially responsible for carrying out day to day responsibilities of the store which included(not limited to) meeting sales quotas for the day and car counts.

The district and regional manager would always send out these passive aggressive emails in an attempt to "light a fire under out butts" and somehow force people to spend money and force them to get their oil changed.

Well one time I came to work in a bad mood and seen one of these emails...I replied and said something along the lines of "why dont you come down here yourself and show us to get people in here? We are holding the roadside sign, we are offering $xx.00 off, we are blowing up balloons and doing everything within our power to attract customers. A lousy e-mail isn't going to change things."

He did reply saying something along the lines of "okay, well at least I know your trying..."

Everyone thought I was gonna get fired for that, I said no, its called standing up for ourselves and not allowing corporate thugs to bully us.

Old 10-02-2015, 09:24 PM

12,847 posts, read 9,050,725 times
The problem with this discussion is everyone is a little bit right. Yes, companies what good workers, but no, it's not the 1960s anymore and you really need to understand that labor market is not todays. Yes, there is a need to screen out workers, but how often do you really get 5000 applicants for most jobs? Of course workers should be highly skilled, but asking for 10 years experience on a system that's only been out for two is pretty much an indication that the manager knows little about what he's managing. And yes, HR processes have way too many pseudo scientific mumbo jumbo methods for screening out the best applicants to count.

Old 10-02-2015, 09:46 PM

8,229 posts, read 3,490,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubydoodoo View Post
Hm, great lists here. Mine would be

1.). Receiving a rejection notice minutes or hours after submitting. My gosh, at least play like someone looked at my resume and gave it "careful consideration"
2.). Being thanked for speaking with the recruiter about the position but they decided to move on with someone else...especially when I NEVER heard a peep from the company! Dummies! I always email back and say they must have an internal glitch in HR. At that point, I don't care.
3.). The lengthy process...job I really wanted took over 6 months! I was rejected for a "cheaper, internal" candidate
4.). Making a job seem more than what it is...my current employer. I feel I have dropped 10 rungs on the ladder and am doing work which wasn't even in the job description and not doing the work I applied to do. Same with "false" glowing corporate culture stories of flex hours, family environment, etc
5.). Online apps with a zillion passwords!
6.). Keeping salary ranges a big secret. Look, don't waste both of our times, okay?
I had a rejection email come literally seconds after I hit the submit button before. It was either Sears or Kmart, forget which. Maybe 2-3 seconds. It was almost instantaneous.

Old 10-03-2015, 07:52 AM

490 posts, read 682,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSchemist80 View Post
-The HR psychobabble and attempts to psychoanalyze candidates
-The complete rudeness and bad behavior of hiring authorities and HR
-The horrible applicant tracking software
-The unbelievable shallowness in selecting candidates plus nepotism/cronyism
-The psychometric testing and other forms of quackery inflicted on job candidates by HR
-The greater involvement of HR (they should be relegated to scheduling interviews and doing paperwork)
-The fake jobs posted when they are not hiring or already know who they are hiring and post anyways and even interview wasting the time of hundreds of people as well as gas/travel
-The ridiculous job requirements posted that noone could ever meet
-Never posting a salary causing me to waste my time when the company won't come close to offering a market rate.

In short it is so dysfunctional and treats candidates with such a lack of consideration or ethics that I have no problem advising candidates to lie, fake, and do whatever it takes to deal with it and get the upper hand.
Hard to argue with any of that.

Fortunately I haven't needed to subject myself to the job 'market' for a long time now, but out of interest I did apply for a couple of positions a few months ago just to see how hiring methods and interviews are conducted now.

Both of the interviews I had were utterly ridiculous. It was clear from the outset that the interviewer had simply cut & pasted questions from the "How to ask tough interview questions" manual.

Give me an example of when you've given excellent customer service.
What are your weaknesses?
Why should we hire you?

Jesus, is that the best they've got? It was clear on both occasions that the interviewer had not had an original thought or idea enter their head from the day they were born. Brainless idiots in ill fitting suits and stupid haircuts.

Luckily for me I didn't need or want the job so I gave my favourite answer to the 'What are your weaknesses' question. I recommend it to all of you if you ever find yourself losing the will to live in an interview -

"My biggest weakness is the complete inability to tolerate slow witted drones who cannot find it within themselves to ask questions that weren't ripped straight from the pages of a book. Such people I avoid like the plague, lest they infect me with their mediocrity. I wouldn't work for an intellectual pygmy like you if you doubled the salary and offered to iron my shirts."

It's worth applying for a job you don't want just to see the look on the face of the cretin you've been tolerating up to that point.

Old 10-03-2015, 08:15 AM

1,807 posts, read 3,095,252 times
[quote=oldtrader;41411487]
Quote:

Lets say that a company gets 200 applications. If they talked to each person it would take about 5 minutes per call. That is 1,000 minutes or 16 hours. Plus add in other lost time to make all of these calls when many would not even me answered the first time they call, lets call this 24 hours. At typical pay for that position is a minimum of $30 an hour, that would be $700 plus to make all those calls. Plus that would be taking half a days time away from other duties that person was involved in. No company can afford to have a BOSS take the time away from their major job, and spend $700 doing it, so there is no way you are going to waste their time like you desire. When 1,000 or more apply for a good job in major cities, there is no way that executive can waste the companies time and money to talk to all the applicants.
Your math is off.

First of all, it takes probably 1 minute-- not five-- to make one of those calls.

So you are talking about a little over 3 hours, not 16, to do the calls.

Spread out over the week or a two week period, that is really not very much time at all.

Besides, that assumes that 200 people are not only applying, but also calling the hiring manager/HR. They never do.

Maybe ten of those people will call. And, it used to be that those ten people-- if they were otherwise qualified-- were getting an interview. Now, they just get blown off.

Nobody is so busy that they cannot follow up with ten-- or even twenty-- candidates who call to confirm receipt of resumes, ask about the job requirements, or inquire about their status post-interview. That's crazy.

Old 10-03-2015, 10:11 AM

15 posts, read 12,981 times
My biggest gripe is the absurd expectations vs. salary requirements. It's like they want someone with the experience of a 40 year old workforce veteran with the salary expectations of someone fresh out of college.

I wish I screenshotted it, but I found a job posting on Craigslist of someone looking for a "senior administrative assistant" with the starting hourly wage of $8 - $12.

Old 10-03-2015, 01:09 PM

1,901 posts, read 1,828,996 times
Guys, I'm telling you, try to find a way to START your own business. Yes, it's going to be "harder" but I believe your future will be more secure in your own hands than that on a W-2 by an Employer who can cut you for literally anything at any time, for any reason, on top of Robotics and Globalization forces reducing down your income.

The economy is shifting more into a specialized skill economy, so you are going to need to find out WHAT the hell you specialize in that's in high demand, and STAY THERE. Continue to grow and get better in said niche, and try to open a business in said niche if humanly possible.

The divide between the HAVES and HAVE NOTS are about to get to the point of being the worse that they have ever been. More wealth will be concentrated to the TOP.

The HAVES will without a shadow of a doubt be individuals who are MAINLY compensated on revenue performance, that is bringing in new revenue directly. The HAVE NOTS will be all of those people who work for these individuals in roles that will continue to be either replaced by Robots and Cheap Labor over-seas, or the wages/salary of such roles continually CUT by the same Robotics and Cheap Labor forces.

Heed my words, this post will remain here on City Data. The next 20 years is about to get VERY BAD with this divide and either you jump on the HAVE side now, or you might be gainfully "employed" with a master's degree in 20 years and STILL not able to afford a slab of pork ribs.

Old 10-03-2015, 01:33 PM

2,702 posts, read 2,765,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burger Fan View Post
Sounds nice in theory, but what happens when I get..oh...5 thousand applicants for three positions? Am I supposed to judge them all face to face?

Be realistic here.
You narrow down your choices. But don't make people go through he'll and back just for a damn chance. That's what irritates me about the job searches these days.

Old 10-03-2015, 02:47 PM

5,898 posts, read 3,899,147 times
I still don't know why many companies willingly cease all communication with applicants after the interview, you know, the ones who didn't get the job. I can count on one hand how many rejection emails I've gotten during my past job search, which happened to include maybe 15-20 interviews. Nobody likes getting a rejection email, but seriously, my feelings won't get hurt. Rejection is always better than hearing crickets from companies, even after you've followed up with them. At least I know for certain what the company's plans are. When you get nothing but silence, you're just left hanging.

Hiring managers always get annoyed with follow up phone calls and emails from so many candidates, but if they only took 15-20 seconds out of their time to make a simple rejection email to send to all the candidates, they wouldn't have to worry about it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search