Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-05-2015, 02:14 PM

3,222 posts, read 4,567,541 times

Advertisements

What are you, Oldtrader? An HR manager or a wealthy CEO?
You've got ''all the answers'' to shoot down our frustrations as if we are just whiners, nothing else.
You can rationalize and explain it all away all you want, these hiring practices still SUCK!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2015, 02:24 PM

10,075 posts, read 7,534,604 times
He is telling the truth...

And you guys are whining... if this is all that bothers you is them writing it down. Better than tape recording it

Plus we get trained still, most is to learn their way and systems but that's about all that is needed. They aren't a school/teaching institution. If they want someone with an accounting degree, they exepct the person to know how to be an accountant. Same with the rest of it. Go to school and learn how your degree applies to the job and you won't have a problem. No different than apprenticeships, college is another form of training but people forget that

Old 10-05-2015, 03:20 PM

850 posts, read 901,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eyeb View Post
He is telling the truth...

And you guys are whining... if this is all that bothers you is them writing it down. Better than tape recording it

Plus we get trained still, most is to learn their way and systems but that's about all that is needed. They aren't a school/teaching institution. If they want someone with an accounting degree, they exepct the person to know how to be an accountant. Same with the rest of it. Go to school and learn how your degree applies to the job and you won't have a problem. No different than apprenticeships, college is another form of training but people forget that
I am not whining; however, I am kind of frustrated. I am looking for a better job that matches what I really wanted to do after I graduated. It can be a challenge asking your current employer for personal time off and coming up with a lame excuse like I had a family emergency out of town so they want know that you are going on an interview. I will agree with old trader's last post that my last interview is going to take them a while to get back with me because I was the first candidate they interviewed and most all the candidates are out of state. These folks on these threads aren't whining, they are frustrated and need a place to vent about their frustrations and it's their right to talk about their frustrations as much as they want unless the moderator considers it excessive. Eyeb you are gainfully employed in a position that pays a salary you like. Of course you are going to argue that folks didn't plan what they were going to do with a degree or they just not good enough for a decent job because they are not selling themselves well enough. These people are on this thread for opinions of what they are going through and it's always a warm feeling when there are others going through the same or similar things they are going through. I am in a job that I don't like (it's a boring chemist job thermosetting PF resins) and doesn't pay a salary that I like. There is a reason you didn't seek at chemist/biologist job for your biology/chemistry degree because you realized most of these jobs required several years of experience in something very specific and most of these jobs are temp jobs paying $15-20 an hour. That is why you seeked a medical technologist job instead and medical technologist jobs are a dime a dozen in Atlanta and the pay isn't that great either $20 an hour to start. I really like chemistry and I am doing everything in my power to find the right position. I just flew out to West Virginia for this last job last Wednesday and they are looking to fill 2 positions in two seperate research groups and I interviewed with 8 different interviewers 4 from one research group and 4 from the other research group. I felt like the whole interview panel liked me but since I was the first candidate I can't make any conclusions all I can do is pray to God that they see me as a good fit for one of those two positions.

Old 10-05-2015, 04:03 PM

679 posts, read 811,711 times
Treat your career like your own business. If you don't like the process to work for a certain company, then don't waste your time. Better yet, create your own job and get a better compensation for your efforts.

The days of one job for life, the union will take care of me, and I don't have to do much are long past. If you can't take the initiative or figure out how to work the process, you will get left behind in the growing mass of the unemployed. Be better and smarter than the previous applicant.

Old 10-05-2015, 04:16 PM

I'm a med tech because I like it... I didn't do it for the salary, I know they aren't paid highly... I got paid more as a biologist but didn't like working out in the field. Sure I don't use the chem degree, no idea what that's like. plus you are as gainfully employed as I am, we both have jobs...

I don't know why you need to lie about PTO, they don't even ask why you want it off usually.

but good luck with the job prospects

Last edited by MLSFan; 10-05-2015 at 04:31 PM..

Old 10-05-2015, 04:34 PM

46,943 posts, read 25,964,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtrader View Post
Those jobs in the past that hired and trained people, were much less complicated, and not involved with such high tech and complicated needs.
This is simply not the case. Not that long ago - perhaps 20 years - IT careers were built by learning on the job. You graduated, got an entry-level job in helpdesk or desktop support or as a junior programmer, moved upwards to more complex things like network operations or server operations or application design, took your experience and became a network engineer or server operations manager or application designer, moved to senior technical posts like solutions architect or DC operations or software architect, for instance.

Today, 2/3rds of these jobs - those towards the low end of the experience spectrum - do not exist in the US any more. They've been off-shored or simply removed, because investing in one's workforce is not a thing any more.

Quote:
Companies on the other hand, are willing to pay for what you are worth to the company, and the amount of work you can produce from manufacturing to office work. They are not willing to pay journeyman wages for an apprentice.
That rather flies in the face of your earlier statement that people will move to better paid position when they're trained. If a company pays market rates, other things being equal, people don't leave.

Old 10-05-2015, 06:11 PM

13,011 posts, read 13,038,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cynthetik View Post
Two things that anger me about the hiring process.

1.) They give you job procedures, training dates, dress codes, and company policy during the interview before you're hired.
Isn't this better than not getting this info? Sounds like the employer is on top of things and communicating clearly.

Quote:
2.) Number one continues with multiple visits to the office, (without the interview) for up to a week, only to get a phone call saying you're not hired.
I don't get this. Why do you keep going back to the office if they don't set an interview? This sounds like your problem, not the company's.

Quote:
I swore at the last company that did this, and asked them to compensate me for my time, money, and gas wasted for the false hopes they've given me, or I'll make their jobs a living hell.

These companies have no consideration for the people applying for their position. They have bills to pay, children to feed and clothes. They don't need to be chain pulled like this.
Sorry, it doesn't work that way. The company is spending money on the recruitment process. You are spending money on the application process. It may not work out for anybody, that is just how life works.

Old 10-05-2015, 06:34 PM

850 posts, read 901,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eyeb View Post
I'm a med tech because I like it... I didn't do it for the salary, I know they aren't paid highly... I got paid more as a biologist but didn't like working out in the field. Sure I don't use the chem degree, no idea what that's like. plus you are as gainfully employed as I am, we both have jobs...

I don't know why you need to lie about PTO, they don't even ask why you want it off usually.

but good luck with the job prospects
My bad if I came off as defensive in my last post. I just figured out I got carried away. The job I have right now is alright. Just the tasks and responsibilities are so repetitive and mundane. I feel like I will get burned out after couple years in this job. The job I am seeking now is in the pharmaceutical industry analyzing transdermal drug generic patches which act as an alternative to oral capsules. My dream job is to work in the pharmaceutical industry. I wish everyone in the thread the best in their job search. It's a competitive market out there.

Old 10-05-2015, 07:25 PM

sounds like your reasons are similar to mine being a med tech

the "tasks" are repetitive but since I see interesting things each day, it makes it not boring and repetitive. I got burned out trying to be a wildlife conservationist, I got tired of collecting data/samples with little contact with people while doing so. I got lonely in other words, I'm not a good introvert.

transdermal patches, like those nicotine patches? or the now disused jet injectors?

good news on that front is if the trans pacific partnership passes, I think they worked out an agreement with the pharma industry keeping their patents for more years. With so many diseases that could be vaccinated against over there, they get a larger market which means the industry should see a boost as well. Maybe you should start learning Mandarin/cantonese/malay? Then get pouched by the pharma companies over there

Old 10-05-2015, 08:15 PM

13,011 posts, read 13,038,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FeelinLow View Post
What are you, Oldtrader? An HR manager or a wealthy CEO?
You've got ''all the answers'' to shoot down our frustrations as if we are just whiners, nothing else.
You can rationalize and explain it all away all you want, these hiring practices still SUCK!
Well, you are whining.

Oldtrader is a bit old school in some of his thoughts, but he is not wrong.

If you want to whine, go ahead. If you want to understand why things are done in the way that they are, then read his posts.

You could also make positive suggestions, but I haven't seen any of those.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search