Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-15-2015, 08:12 AM

12,108 posts, read 23,286,271 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Can't sleep View Post
If you click on the Monster.com link you will see lots of resumes for people in blue collar jobs with two pages. I am semi retired working about twenty hours a week.

You use two pages if you need two pages. My assumption is that most students at a tech school don't have two pages worth of experience.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2015, 09:10 AM

38,936 posts, read 23,903,106 times
Quote:
Last evening I had a student say that HR won't let applicants submit a resume that is more than one page under any circumstances. So we went online on Monster.com and I showed the class countless resume examples that were two pages long. In fact 95% of their resume template/examples are two pages. But the students still insisted the resumes could only be one page and us instructors did not know what we were talking about!
That is the type of challenge we are facing. (The students insist they know more than the instructors.)

See link:

Resume Samples By Industry - Find Resume & CV Examples From Different Industries | Monster | Monster.com
It isn't uncommon for the length of resumes to be two pages. HOWEVER what the employer reads beyond the first page during their scan of it isn't the two pages, it's the first. From my experience at interviews and job fairs, I find it common that the employers don't even look at the second page. Online is a bit different and I couldn't tell you. Perhaps that was what the students meant.

I'm not trying to sound like a Debby Downer but while I like what you are doing, it is a great idea after all; that perhaps you need to learn what is the ways that people get jobs today. Focus on that. Some is networking but a lot of it is reading a company and a job and knowing the buzzwords. I've found that the buzzwords have worked for me in the three different job interviews I've had that I have actually got a job from it.

Old 10-15-2015, 12:48 PM

25 posts, read 32,708 times
Most of the students will be appying online and their resume will not be looked at unless they have key words and accomplishment statements that are picked up by the applicant tracking software. So the need for a more comprehensive resume.

Most of the students are older and have lots of jobs on their resume. Most one page resumes I see are jammed up with 8 pt font and a lack of white space, which makes it even harder for the employer to scan once they actually look at it on paper.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
It isn't uncommon for the length of resumes to be two pages. HOWEVER what the employer reads beyond the first page during their scan of it isn't the two pages, it's the first. From my experience at interviews and job fairs, I find it common that the employers don't even look at the second page. Online is a bit different and I couldn't tell you. Perhaps that was what the students meant.

I'm not trying to sound like a Debby Downer but while I like what you are doing, it is a great idea after all; that perhaps you need to learn what is the ways that people get jobs today. Focus on that. Some is networking but a lot of it is reading a company and a job and knowing the buzzwords. I've found that the buzzwords have worked for me in the three different job interviews I've had that I have actually got a job from it.

Old 10-15-2015, 01:39 PM

6,393 posts, read 4,116,131 times
Hey OP, you can tell your students this.

My brother in law is a hiring manager for CAT (Caterpillar). My brother is a project manager for one of the largest engineering firms in the US. My sister is a head engineer at the local branch of Omron Electronics. All 3 of these people plus my boss have told me that the 1-page resume format is horribly outdated. It's perfectly ok to have more than 1 page for your resume.

Old 10-15-2015, 01:39 PM

12,108 posts, read 23,286,271 times
And a resume is not a complete work history so, depending on what they are applying for, a lot of those entries might need to be reduced or eliminated.

Old 10-15-2015, 04:03 PM

3,118 posts, read 5,357,689 times
I don't see how you could make a full class out of that. Maybe one credit hour tops.

Old 10-15-2015, 04:18 PM

6,393 posts, read 4,116,131 times
Here's my resume format.

The first page contains my degrees, goals, skills, and accomplishments. Yes, I have plenty of those. I'm also very specific about my skills and accomplishments.

The 2nd and 3rd pages have my work history. I'm also very specific about my work history. For example, under each job, I would list my assignments and responsibilities with dates attached to them. I also have a field under each job for my accomplishments and what I've learned from those jobs.

This format has served me wonderfully well.

Old 10-16-2015, 12:48 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,903,106 times
Quote:
Most of the students will be appying online and their resume will not be looked at unless they have key words and accomplishment statements that are picked up by the applicant tracking software. So the need for a more comprehensive resume.

Most of the students are older and have lots of jobs on their resume. Most one page resumes I see are jammed up with 8 pt font and a lack of white space, which makes it even harder for the employer to scan once they actually look at it on paper.
Yes but in person, you maybe lucky getting it seen beyond page one. Online is a different animal altogether.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search