Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2015, 12:27 AM

888 posts, read 804,898 times

Advertisements

I feel like I'm in the same sinking boat. Looking for a job isn't paying the bills. Unemployed and losing hope.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2015, 05:28 AM

5,896 posts, read 3,895,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MetroWord View Post
Just curious. What did you think you would do after college while you were in college? What did your school say you could do with a history degree?
Many history grads have a very business like vibe or mentality about them. Although teaching is typically the preferred route, they generally have no problem getting into business or management and becoming very successful in such roles.

Old 10-28-2015, 06:11 AM

71 posts, read 58,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigeru View Post
I feel like I'm in the same sinking boat. Looking for a job isn't paying the bills. Unemployed and losing hope.
Aww, hopes something come through for you. I know it's hard to stay positive, but that's the only option. Is your city facing economic problems- limited jobs? How old are? Do you have a degree?

Old 10-30-2015, 02:24 AM

581 posts, read 664,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poor Chemist View Post
I agree that the OP might have to relocate where the jobs are. Judging by his/her username he/she lives in Georgia. I live in the metro Atlanta area and the job market isn't that friendly to young professionals. The op needs to apply to out of state positions across the US on indeed, career builder, and monster for every job that requires a college degree. Type in entry level college jobs on the search engine and apply to everything you see both in and out of state. I applied to several jobs out of state when I was looking and I had an interview for a chemist position in West Virginia that almost accepted until a full time chemist position opened up at my current company. So I was able to stay in Georgia but I was open to relocate anywhere in the US for a full time/permanent position.
Excuse me, but how are you poor if you're a chemist?

Old 10-30-2015, 09:54 AM

6,393 posts, read 4,112,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandsthetime View Post
Many history grads have a very business like vibe or mentality about them. Although teaching is typically the preferred route, they generally have no problem getting into business or management and becoming very successful in such roles.
Define "many".

I say that because every single person I've known that graduated with a history, english, or art degree ended up working either in retail or call center.

Every single person I've known that graduated with a STEM degree ended up working in more professional setting.

I keep hearing people say history, english, and art grads end up in business. But I have never known anyone in real life that actually got a good professional career going with any of those degrees.

Old 10-30-2015, 10:01 AM

6,393 posts, read 4,112,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dessertlover View Post
There are many flavors of a said professional.

Take engineering, for example. Just because a person says he's an engineer doesn't mean he's making a lot of money. The engineering fields consist of many different flavors from the lower level testers to the ones running construction projects to designers to administrators.

A few months ago, I met up with a friend from college. He currently has a girlfriend. The girlfriend's ex husband is "an engineer". Before long, we started sharing what we're doing and how much we make. He couldn't get his head around the fact that after just a couple years of doing what I'm doing my salary is almost twice as much as his girlfriend's ex. His girlfriend's ex has been "an engineer" for over a decade. I had to explain to him that I'm in management while his girlfriend's ex is more on the technician level. Some people work smart to get into management and some people are perfectly happy with mediocre work level and next to no responsibility. You simply can't compare a technician level engineer and a construction management engineer.

I would imagine that with chemists there are many different levels of chemists as well. There are those that work temp jobs in the lab and there are award winning chemists that rake in the big bucks.

Old 10-30-2015, 01:21 PM

581 posts, read 664,270 times
Thank you, MetroWord.

Old 11-01-2015, 12:28 AM

850 posts, read 901,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dessertlover View Post
When I graduated. My first job as a chemist was a temp to hire job that paid $17 an hour and no benefits so I felt like I was poor my first few months out of school. Things are better now that I am a full time chemist though.

Old 11-01-2015, 12:32 AM

850 posts, read 901,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MetroWord View Post
There are many flavors of a said professional.

Take engineering, for example. Just because a person says he's an engineer doesn't mean he's making a lot of money. The engineering fields consist of many different flavors from the lower level testers to the ones running construction projects to designers to administrators.

A few months ago, I met up with a friend from college. He currently has a girlfriend. The girlfriend's ex husband is "an engineer". Before long, we started sharing what we're doing and how much we make. He couldn't get his head around the fact that after just a couple years of doing what I'm doing my salary is almost twice as much as his girlfriend's ex. His girlfriend's ex has been "an engineer" for over a decade. I had to explain to him that I'm in management while his girlfriend's ex is more on the technician level. Some people work smart to get into management and some people are perfectly happy with mediocre work level and next to no responsibility. You simply can't compare a technician level engineer and a construction management engineer.

I would imagine that with chemists there are many different levels of chemists as well. There are those that work temp jobs in the lab and there are award winning chemists that rake in the big bucks.
Right. I was the chemist working as a temp in the lab testing PF resins samples on a DSC instrument which most consider tech level work. The product development chemist and Research chemists with PHD's make the big bucks while the bachelors level chemists struggle to make 40k a year their first year out of school.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search