Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-04-2015, 07:08 PM

12,108 posts, read 23,278,346 times

Advertisements

Could be they are looking for an IT person who is not an introvert; the person may be required to do some limited employee training or public speaking, so they want to make sure the person they hire is capable of doing that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2015, 07:39 PM

14 posts, read 8,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joe from dayton View Post
Could be they are looking for an IT person who is not an introvert; the person may be required to do some limited employee training or public speaking, so they want to make sure the person they hire is capable of doing that.
That's a good assumption but they should be able to tell that I'm capable of speaking during our interactions in the interview.

Old 11-04-2015, 07:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sockeye66 View Post
Hunrad, corp values is the easy one. Pick some good buzz words, ie Innovative, Customer Value, Team Environment, etc and build on those.

I guess I'll play along then.

Old 11-04-2015, 08:47 PM

12,108 posts, read 23,278,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunrad View Post
That's a good assumption but they should be able to tell that I'm capable of speaking during our interactions in the interview.
Not really. Some people can speak in small groups, but freeze or become ill when expected to teach a class. Speaking with a couple of people is a whole different dynamic than public speaking/teaching a class.

Old 11-04-2015, 10:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe from dayton View Post
Not really. Some people can speak in small groups, but freeze or become ill when expected to teach a class. Speaking with a couple of people is a whole different dynamic than public speaking/teaching a class.

Hmm....this is really starting to make me wonder about the aspects of this position that aren't listed on the job req. I really don't like that whole "other duties as assigned crap" even though I don't see that listed for this position its normally applied.

Old 11-05-2015, 05:13 AM

6,590 posts, read 11,286,252 times
Is this position within the IT dept. of a company? Or is this like a sales engineer positions for a software/vendor type of company? If it's the latter, it would make sense why they'd may ask for a presentation. Albeit I'm kind of puzzled about the first two points. IMO - an interview is a two way street. And those first two items seems more like something that should be presented to you. I get that some companies are more sought after than others. But this seems a bit self-centered.

Ultimately - the choice is yours. You want the job, you need to do the dance. It's simple as that. I would just concentrate more on the third point and "gloss" over the first two using material gathered from the company's website. Perhaps they're more interested in the third point anyways. And the first two is just to see if you are able to research things.

Old 11-05-2015, 06:37 AM

4,876 posts, read 4,205,098 times
To be honest, I'm kind of suprised that any company website doesn't have an "about us" page that tells about their history, values, etc. I would think that's an easy one too.

However, if the job doesn't sound interesting to you, I'd politely decline the interview.

Old 11-05-2015, 07:21 AM

291 posts, read 390,737 times
I would actually love to have such a component in the process.

I don't have a bachelors degree, and this keeps hurting me. (Finishing it up now) However, I have fantastic experience, I'm smart, and I will work harder than anyone else. Unfortunately, that doesn't seem to matter. They want the piece of paper.

But being given the opportunity to show what I can do as compared to others would solve all my problems. I wish they would do this in every hiring process.

Old 11-05-2015, 09:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by macroy View Post
Is this position within the IT dept. of a company? Or is this like a sales engineer positions for a software/vendor type of company? If it's the latter, it would make sense why they'd may ask for a presentation. Albeit I'm kind of puzzled about the first two points. IMO - an interview is a two way street. And those first two items seems more like something that should be presented to you. I get that some companies are more sought after than others. But this seems a bit self-centered.

Ultimately - the choice is yours. You want the job, you need to do the dance. It's simple as that. I would just concentrate more on the third point and "gloss" over the first two using material gathered from the company's website. Perhaps they're more interested in the third point anyways. And the first two is just to see if you are able to research things.
It is within the IT dept. of the company not sales anything and I do agree it is self-centered. I have always operated on a simple value, treat those as you would want to be treated. I have interviewed and hired many personnel and I wouldn't ask them to do the first two, there are so many other elements that need to be focused on.

Old 11-05-2015, 11:15 AM

23 posts, read 20,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzliteyear View Post
I would actually love to have such a component in the process.

I don't have a bachelors degree, and this keeps hurting me. (Finishing it up now) However, I have fantastic experience, I'm smart, and I will work harder than anyone else. Unfortunately, that doesn't seem to matter. They want the piece of paper.

But being given the opportunity to show what I can do as compared to others would solve all my problems. I wish they would do this in every hiring process.
I do have a Bachelor's and most jobs don't seem to care. I wish I had more experience. (I have some but not a lot.)

I hate to sound so pessimistic but yeah when I see people who think the reason they don't get jobs is because they don't have a degree, well, I feel a need to give a warning that even if you have a degree you might find that many employers don't even care, because they also want very specific types of experience and if you don't have that experience, you are nothing to them.

Or another way to get a job is "who you know" I guess. Networking and all that. (It's not something I'm good at though, lol)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search