Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-04-2015, 05:55 PM

1,040 posts, read 1,291,843 times

Advertisements

I once didn't hire someone for similar reasons, like spelling her own city's name wrong on her resume. Understand that those of us who have hired and fired many people tend to pay attention to all red flags before hire. It just saves us time, money and hassle later on--and the anxiety of managing poor performers.

I think it's over the top to call a candidate and scold them for it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2015, 06:00 PM

6 posts, read 7,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by imagineAA View Post
I once didn't hire someone for similar reasons, like spelling her own city's name wrong on her resume. Understand that those of us who have hired and fired many people tend to pay attention to all red flags before hire. It just saves us time, money and hassle later on--and the anxiety of managing poor performers.

I think it's over the top to call a candidate and scold them for it.
I just got married so out of habit I put my maiden name..

Old 11-04-2015, 07:32 PM

1,394 posts, read 1,258,351 times
Make tracks. Unless you are a nit-picking, negative-Norton, Roger-Pocket-Protector-loving downer, this sounds like a bad, toxic place to work.
Calling you out on the maiden name mis-spell is just wrong, and then getting the reference name wrong was "a shame on you.." but do you want to work for "those kinds of people" who believe they do no wrong?

Old 11-04-2015, 07:45 PM

8,514 posts, read 4,493,384 times
Run. Get as far away as you possibly can from this company.

Old 11-04-2015, 08:04 PM

13,011 posts, read 13,044,002 times
I agree. Bad signs. How much do you need the job?

Old 11-04-2015, 09:36 PM

162 posts, read 203,069 times
Not blaming you for any of this. It's all a learning experience.

Personally I wouldn't continue for the job unless I was seriously desperate for work due to the fact that the hiring manager admits to you that the company is run by a "shrewd business man". That is pretty brazen of her to communicate that to someone she is trying to convince to join her company. Usually you don't find that out until you been hired on and have worked there for a little while. So I would be grateful she gave me that piece of information. Also the fact that she actually confronted you on the errors you mistakenly made. Normally you just wouldn't ever hear anything back from them. Anyway this wouldn't be a great way to start off a professional relationship. You would already be at an uphill battle from the start. First impressions mean EVERYTHING. People remember that.

Next time around just learn from this experience and ensure everything is on point. You have to present and sale your best self.

Old 11-04-2015, 09:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishbrains View Post
I agree. Bad signs. How much do you need the job?
Well.. I'm not desperate. Having a job that pays well would be good and I'm pretty bored of staying home.

Old 11-04-2015, 09:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by earslikeacat View Post
Make tracks. Unless you are a nit-picking, negative-Norton, Roger-Pocket-Protector-loving downer, this sounds like a bad, toxic place to work.
Calling you out on the maiden name mis-spell is just wrong, and then getting the reference name wrong was "a shame on you.." but do you want to work for "those kinds of people" who believe they do no wrong?

LOL I didn't mispell my name, I just put my maiden name instead of my married name. But you are right!

Old 11-05-2015, 05:24 AM

49,932 posts, read 59,927,052 times
Let's be clear: The employer is not wrong. They have every right to be picky about the work they do.

If you get SO put out being corrected and don't see the big deal about mistakes while they obviously do care, then it's what is known as a bad fit.

Old 11-05-2015, 05:29 AM

6,590 posts, read 11,284,036 times
I think they did you a favor by letting you know these things. It pointed two things that you can correct moving forward. But it also gave you a glimpse of what you may be dealing with.

How you proceed would be up to you. Some people come off as professional/kind, but aren't. And some come off as hard-*****es but are very kind-hearted deep down. Unfortunately, you often won't know which one you're getting through just an interview.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search